2010 YZ 450 gearing??

12 replies to this topic
  • Pat E

Posted May 09, 2011 - 03:07 PM

I was running a 49t rear all last season and it was decent but not great, then this season tried a 50t, at the recommendation of alot of TT members, and now it seems like it shortened up the ratios too much and hits very hard. I race only moto, and am running the Marmont map, all else stock. Now thinking of maybe trying stock 48t rear to stretch out ratios a bit? Bike is also a wheelie machine off of the starting gate, even with a start device. Anybody have any feedback, ideas? (I want to keep using the Marmont map as I like the feel and it helps with stalling). Thanks.

• honda907

Posted May 09, 2011 - 03:37 PM

I was running a 49t rear all last season and it was decent but not great, then this season tried a 50t, at the recommendation of alot of TT members, and now it seems like it shortened up the ratios too much and hits very hard. I race only moto, and am running the Marmont map, all else stock. Now thinking of maybe trying stock 48t rear to stretch out ratios a bit? Bike is also a wheelie machine off of the starting gate, even with a start device. Anybody have any feedback, ideas? (I want to keep using the Marmont map as I like the feel and it helps with stalling). Thanks.

I run the stock gearing with a little tammer map on the bottom. But I am older than you I presume.....

I get plenty of holeshots with the stock gearing. If I was to go to Southwick in the sand that might be different, not on the start, but pulling some of those sweepers followed by an uphill.........

• YamaLink

Posted May 10, 2011 - 04:21 AM

How much do you weigh?

• rcmxracing

Posted May 10, 2011 - 12:15 PM

49T is my go to gearing on my 2010. I used to be more of a 3rd gear "cornerer", but have been using second more on this '10 vs. my '08. BUT I would not be afraid to use different sprockets at different tracks! I'm always changing maps based on conditions and track layout, technical sections, etc. and the same thing applies to gearing. OBTW the YZ450 internal gear ratios are the same from at least 2006 on up. Have you tried a 3rd gear start? :thumbsup:

• Pat E

Posted May 10, 2011 - 01:07 PM

I weigh 175, and am a decent Vet B rider. No, I have not tried 3rd gear starts, maybe this weekend! Bike still seems like too short of ratios with the 50, doesn't help that the bike doesn't rev. I don't know... maybe I'll try the stock gearing with the Marmont map. Thanks for the input.

• SEOINAGE

Posted May 10, 2011 - 02:10 PM

wow I use a 51 and love it. why not stick with your 49?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chazmagnum

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:40 PM

You said everything else is stock and you feel as if the gearing falls off to quickly with the 50t. ( which is what I run ) You deserve atleast a yosh slip-on if not a full system. This mod will help extend the top end noticably. I am wearing out 3rd gear riding it like an auto trans. I also think it would pull a nice 3rd gear start, but I haven't tried from a dead stop...

• sandcar361

Posted May 12, 2011 - 02:32 PM

I just put on a 50t rear sprocket and I am headed to the track in a few hours. I hope I like it.

• moto278

Posted May 12, 2011 - 07:23 PM

i ride mostly in 3rd gear as well. runnin 49t on the rear. will that actually wear out the internal gear over time that much vs shifting more?

• Chazmagnum

Posted May 12, 2011 - 10:16 PM

I was being a bit sarcastic as far as my comment regarding wearing out 3rd gear. But it is an interesting question... Maybe Gray or ? could chime in and give us the low down on tranny wear and tear?:thumbsup:

• YamaLink

Posted May 13, 2011 - 05:50 AM

I'm about your weight, too, and normally I'd go with +1 in back but lately it's been -1/-2 because someone gave me the smaller rear sprocket and I had the smaller CS in my gear bag. Basically the same combo and the bike pulls perfect in a mix of riding this side of wide open desert or gnarly tight woods.

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2011 - 08:18 AM

If you spend 75% of your time in one gear than wouldn't that gear obviously wear sooner than the 4 others that only do 25% of the work between them?

But is gear tooth wear the biggest problem your gearbox has to deal with? No. What takes your trans down is usually wear on the locking lugs, and nearly all of that happens during a shift.

• moto278

Posted May 14, 2011 - 04:01 AM

i had figured u were a bit sarcastic in ur original post, :thumbsup: but also i kno i had a buddy bust his 3rd gear in an 03 yz125. completely different bike i kno, but i know he hates shifting on any bike, and thought that it might have been a contributing factor as to why it busted. and on the primary track i ride i go from start to finish in 3rd. once in a while i may grab 4th out of a corner comin up to a jump but that is it for me, just dont want any tranny problems. but yes grey, it does make sense as well

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.