WR Start Button

8 replies to this topic
  • Junior_Vet

Posted August 19, 2003 - 08:48 PM

OK. I've searched and can't find this topic anywhere. This weekend I happily used my electric start many times during a Hare Scramble. Once I went through the final check, I stopped the bike to talk. When I went to start it again (with the button) the grey button was missing. :D

It looks like it was riped out of the rubber boot that surrounds it on the switch. I assume that a passing tree branch some how ripped it out but the switch is positioned so the button is facing backwards.

Is this just a freak occurance or has it happened to anyone else?? :)

The parts guy says I have to buy the whole switch for $60 (CDN $). Anyone have any other suggestions? KTM switch? Others?

• crushedreams

Posted August 19, 2003 - 09:10 PM

I just happen to have one that I took off.
Ill send it to you. PM me your address. FREEBIE

• Beta_Man

Posted August 19, 2003 - 10:26 PM

the same thing happened to me but it was the kill switch. Every thing was there except the middle part. I just switched it with the older style and it seems to be alot more sturdy. Although i would doubt you would want to do this with the starter button.

• TWSimpson

Posted August 20, 2003 - 03:08 AM

Mine did the same. Had to replace the whole switch. :D If this one doesn't last, I'm going to look for a heavy duty replacement. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted August 20, 2003 - 04:18 AM

the same thing happened to me but it was the kill switch. Every thing was there except the middle part. I just switched it with the older style and it seems to be alot more sturdy. Although i would doubt you would want to do this with the starter button.

I had the same thing happen with my kill switch. It got caught in one of the air vents on my chest protector when I got too far up over the bars. I replaced it with an older style switch; problem solved. I haven't had a problem with the start button yet...

• RichBaker

Posted August 20, 2003 - 03:58 PM

It happened to me 1st ride.....stalled in a wash and went to start her and there was no button! Had to kick her the rest of the ride. When I got home I pulled the kill sw. off my 90 YZWR and spliced in the new connector....works great and is out of the way compared to the stocker. Haven't lost it in 6 rides....

• Junior_Vet

Posted August 20, 2003 - 04:49 PM

Seems pretty common. Thanks for the responses. I bet it was chest protector too! I'll have to look for a better switch like an older kill switch. I did notice that a 450 EXC has a dual switch (starter and kill) in the same unit without the rubber surrounding the switch. That might be an option to clean up the handlebars?

• KiwiThumper

Posted August 21, 2003 - 05:08 PM

The KTM style one comes standard on the AU/NZ bikes (complete with all the Dual Sport stuff) I have removed mine as the kill switch starts getting really "sticky" probably from sand and sheeiiit. In the end, if I used it, I would have to flick it several times to get it to return to the fully ejected position ...
I am using the "off road" kit with the same witches as you guys and havent had a problem yet ...

Cheers Deano

• Junior_Vet

Posted August 22, 2003 - 08:13 AM

Good to know. Isn't this board great? :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.