Why am I so Paranoid?

51 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2011 - 07:10 AM

Personally, I don't recommend any of the "one size fits all" jet kits. For less money, you can usually fix whatever problems you actually have with the bike with one or two factory jets, and be done with it.

• rcdude33

Posted May 13, 2011 - 08:29 AM

That sounds like a good idea gray. And I can save some $$$ instead of spending like $75 on it.

Also I did the print mod to my bike hut the bog is still there but it's not nearly as bad as it was. But is there anything I can do to make it go away or almost make it go away? M mechanic at my dealer said to turn out the fuel screw or somethng

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2011 - 08:33 AM

"Print mod"? Please elaborate.

• rcdude33

Posted May 13, 2011 - 08:41 AM

"Print mod"? Please elaborate.

Hey man my bad my iPod like corrected my words.

I meant oring mod. My apologies

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2011 - 09:46 AM

Whether the "bog" is something you can expect to get rid of or not depends on what you are doing top cause it, and what you can reasonably expect. The engine should respond reasonably well to a quickly opened throttle, but cannot be expected to take an instantly opened throttle from idle to WOT without stumbling. You can make it do that, but the steps necessary to achieve that will negatively affect the way the bike runs otherwise. Besides you don't really ride that way.

Learn to "roll" the throttle. It's an age old four-stroke skill that we all had to learn back in the days when there weren't any accelerator pumps. You open the throttle suddenly, but only partially at first, opening it the rest of the way the instant that the engine begins to react. To anyone listening, the engine will seem to rev instantly, and you'll eventually do this without thinking about it.

But, if you aren't "goon wristing" the throttle, and the engine isn't responding reasonably well, there are still things you can do.

• rcdude33

Posted May 13, 2011 - 11:14 AM

Whether the "bog" is something you can expect to get rid of or not depends on what you are doing top cause it, and what you can reasonably expect. The engine should respond reasonably well to a quickly opened throttle, but cannot be expected to take an instantly opened throttle from idle to WOT without stumbling. You can make it do that, but the steps necessary to achieve that will negatively affect the way the bike runs otherwise. Besides you don't really ride that way.

Learn to "roll" the throttle. It's an age old four-stroke skill that we all had to learn back in the days when there weren't any accelerator pumps. You open the throttle suddenly, but only partially at first, opening it the rest of the way the instant that the engine begins to react. To anyone listening, the engine will seem to rev instantly, and you'll eventually do this without thinking about it.

But, if you aren't "goon wristing" the throttle, and the engine isn't responding reasonably well, there are still things you can do.

Sweet man i rode a fuel injected bike and man what a difference, but i still like the carbs better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted May 13, 2011 - 11:56 AM

Sweet man i rode a fuel injected bike and man what a difference, but i still like the carbs better.

Either are fine...I do think the combination of the ZipTy carb mods with a good alum bearing throttle tube, make it very close to "EFI"-like, and have heard that comment on a few separate occasions from people who've tried my bike...Instant hit, very smooth, perfect response, one to two kick starts cold, always one hot...Can't beat it...

• rcdude33

Posted May 13, 2011 - 01:25 PM

Either are fine...I do think the combination of the ZipTy carb mods with a good alum bearing throttle tube, make it very close to "EFI"-like, and have heard that comment on a few separate occasions from people who've tried my bike...Instant hit, very smooth, perfect response, one to two kick starts cold, always one hot...Can't beat it...

Now for the Zip ty stuff. Do i have to send my carb to them? or can i get parts for my carb from them?

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2011 - 01:52 PM

Here's my recommendation to you regarding the Zip-Ty mod:

You have said you're on a budget. Wait. Put the other things you've mentioned ahead of it on your list. I'm not saying that it's not worthwhile doing, but then, I've never done it to mine, and I don't feel like I'm missing much. Meantime, you'll learn something about tuning carbs, and your money will be better put into your suspension than into a bunch of little engine mods.

• rcdude33

Posted May 14, 2011 - 06:00 AM

Here's my recommendation to you regarding the Zip-Ty mod:

You have said you're on a budget. Wait. Put the other things you've mentioned ahead of it on your list. I'm not saying that it's not worthwhile doing, but then, I've never done it to mine, and I don't feel like I'm missing much. Meantime, you'll learn something about tuning carbs, and your money will be better put into your suspension than into a bunch of little engine mods.

You know what gray, your right. Also, i can make some good cash because of my friends. BUt i have to learn a ton of stuff though. Also, since my 450 got a bog, what would you do first to jet it? IS it true that the bikes come lean from the factory?

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2011 - 09:21 AM

Start by reading Eddie's Jetting guide:

http://www.thumperta...699#post2881699

Then look through the '09 jetting thread, and in particular, the setup Todd used on his '08 in the first post. The needle is a key to the overall result:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=694918

Read the tuning section of the manual, and find out what your jetting currently is.

• rcdude33

Posted May 14, 2011 - 01:27 PM

Start by reading Eddie's Jetting guide:

http://www.thumperta...699#post2881699

Then look through the '09 jetting thread, and in particular, the setup Todd used on his '08 in the first post. The needle is a key to the overall result:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=694918

Read the tuning section of the manual, and find out what your jetting currently is.

Thanks so much man!!!!!I will definatley check that out!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.