Why am I so Paranoid?

51 replies to this topic
  • rcdude33

Posted May 09, 2011 - 02:50 AM

Hey guys!!!

Well the title still says it all but i need some things cleared up.

Well i took my 09 yz450f out yesterday and it ran ok but it didnt run the best or it was just me.

Now like im sort of nervous about the valves because i ran the bike in the higher rpms yesterday, and by acident i hit the rev limiter. Now im sort of new to the motors of the four strokes but how do you sort of know when the valves need adjusting?

Like i know the motor makes a good bit of noise, but i think thats normal right?

Also my exhaust is sort of bent/kinked. At the part where it bolts to the motor, would that make my bike run different? But the pipe isnt completely bend, its just a small little bend.

But the bike sometimes feels sluggish on the bottom, now will a pipe fix this? Im looking into the drd ss system.

Thanks guys!!! And im really sorry for the post but i just need some advice.

Also are there any threads about adjusting the valves?

thanks ans god bless!

Alex

• KJ790

Posted May 09, 2011 - 04:09 AM

The rev limiter is there to protect the engine from damage caused by over-rev. Hitting the rev limiter from time to time is not going to cause any problems at all, these bikes are designed for that.

If you don't have an hour meter, do yourself a favor and go buy one. check your valves every 15-20 hours and when they are out of spec (which shouldn't be for a while if your air filter maintenance is good) then you adjust them. There are tons of threads on valve adjustments with pictures and everything, do a search.

Yes a pipe will help the bottom end, and the Dr.D is a good one for this bike. A small bend in your stock pipe will not affect anything. Getting your jetting right will also help the power a lot if it is currently off. If you change the exhaust you will most likely need to adjust the jetting again.

• rcdude33

Posted May 09, 2011 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for replying. But the pipe is bent pretty good, like it's prett close to my rad. Now I bent the pipe twice, once dented with a log, then I laid it down and bent the pipe up.

I just want this bike to run awsome. Also I do clean my air filter every ride and I do have an hour meter too. I'm at round 19 hours.

I'm just wondering if I have a leak out of my exhaust or if it's just me. The bike runs good but there's somethings that just make me paranoid

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2011 - 06:45 AM

The way that you know when it's time to adjust your valves is by checking the clearances periodically. If they are anywhere within the specified range, they're fine. It's a simple enough process just to check. There's a how-to in the Common Threads Sticky. Be sure you use the correct specs for your engine from your manual.

• rcdude33

Posted May 09, 2011 - 08:27 AM

Thanks gray, but would you agree that the yz450f motor is a noisy motor?

Also do to think a bent pipe would result in performance? The bend isn't fully closed but it's bent pretty good.

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2011 - 08:34 AM

Yes they're noisy, and yes, a pipe bent beyond a certain amount will negatively affect performance.

Also, if you read the manual regarding oil level checking and changing, there is a process described for dealing with an overfill condition. Since your bike only holds a quart to start with, you almost certainly overfilled it.

• rcdude33

Posted May 09, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Now the manual said I think 1.06 Ats with oil filter replacement. But I do start the bike let it warm for three or four minutes and then drain the oil. Then I put one quar in and a tad biT from my other bottle to get a little over a quart in it.

I then let it warm up and hen shut it off and let it sit for like ten minutes. Then I check the oil dip stick and it was right where it needs to be.

I though that was the way you check it. But the bike runs good but it wasn't running as well as it did but I'm thinking either a leak from the exhaust or it could just be from the exhaust being bent. And when I layer it down I bent the pipe up.

I think I'm going to get an exhaust system for it. Also will the drd make my bike feel more snappier on the bottom? Will it be a big difference or just a little difference?

But man the reason why I ask all these questions I just want my bike to be reliable. I change the oil every 6 hrs and clean the air filter every ride, grease my wheels once a week, check my spokes every other ride. Also would the bike take forever to start if the valves needed adjusted? Like it takes me like seven kicks without the hot start and hen like three or four max with the hot start

• rcdude33

Posted May 09, 2011 - 09:05 AM

Sorry 1.06 qts

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2011 - 09:32 AM

Now the manual said I think 1.06 Qts with oil filter replacement.

I think I'm going to get an exhaust system for it. Also will the drd make my bike feel more snappier on the bottom? Will it be a big difference or just a little difference?

The DRD will make a little difference in that the power will be spread out farther and the torque curve will seem wider.

The interesting thing about 1.06 Qts is that that is exactly one liter. And, almost every oil bottle has a one liter line on it. So next oil change with a filter, just open a quart, add oil to the one liter mark, and dump it in.

Disregard the overfill I was talking about. I had too many posts running through my had at one time, and crossed your up with another one.

• rcdude33

Posted May 09, 2011 - 04:55 PM

Sweet!!! Would do you think i will notice more bottom end? Like atleast a little bit? Becuase i have heard great things about DRD.

Also i think my pipe is affecting my performance a little but not by a lot.

Also di have been on ebay for a long time and i can never find an 06 cdi, will an 07 give me more low end hit or should i just wait til an 06 cdi pops up?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Wait for the '06. If you feel adventurous, try an '04. Might work. Not an '05, though.

• rcdude33

Posted May 09, 2011 - 07:22 PM

Wait for the '06. If you feel adventurous, try an '04. Might work. Not an '05, though.

I thought the plugs were different from 03-05? I thought only 06-08 would work. Also didnt the 04 have the most agressive hit?

Also one thing, well my suspension is ok but i set my sag and the rear end keeps breaking loose sometimes, i read the suspension threads and im going to try that but im not sure if its the stock tires doing that since mine are worn down pretty good.

But man i got this 3 year warranty from my dealer and its called i think start state or interstate or something, but its like insurance and covers my motor and stuff.

Im not trying to sound like a sissy or wimp, but im only 16, and this was a pretty big purchase and i just want the bike to run good.

See if this sounds good to you:

My maintence schedule, clean air filter every ride( i seal the air filter with grease), change oil every 5-8 hours, clean and regrease my bearings and linkage, check my spokes, chain, clean sprockets, clean dust seals in the forks, etc etc etc.

I usually do this once every 2 weeks. I usually only ride like 1-3 times a week max since i got school and work.

Now from what i hear, the 09 yz450f motor is pretty bulletproof. But am i on the right track? I hope i am becuse my buddie who has a 09 yz250f and changes his oil when its black and cleans his air filter when he feels like it and his bike still runs pretty good.

Also man im sorry for the speech but like i said i just want a very good, performing and relaible bike.

• Aka.Goose

Posted May 10, 2011 - 12:12 AM

Im not trying to sound like a sissy or wimp, but im only 16, and this was a pretty big purchase and i just want the bike to run good.

You don't sound like anything but a wise 16 year old...Go ahead and post away with any questions you have (provided you do a little searching on your issue or question first)...That's what this site is for...
Stick to your maintenance schedule, keep notes of everything you do in a folder, follow the recommendations in your manual as much as you can (replacing the cam chain especially)...You should have an hour meter...
Have zero fear of your bike breaking down, you'll be able to ride the piss out of it with no worries...If it does eventually break down, it's just something that happens every now and then, but not something you should worry about on a regular basis, and it's something that may be costly and take you a little while to fix, but you'll get through it and this bike will be great to you for many years...
Depending how bad those header dings are, yes they could be affecting performance (post a pic)...Yes the DRD system will make a noticeable difference, and I think the DRD radiator lowering kit is worth it too...Hard to say what the performance issues are without the bike's history and exactly what the symptoms are, may be the pipe dings or may be a small exhaust leak from the hits, could be slight carb adjustments needed, may be old gas or need a new plug, may be the valves need adjusted, etc. etc...
Most likely it's something minor that can be corrected fairly easily...So loose the paranoia, and let yourself have pure fun without worry...:thumbsup:

• rcdude33

Posted May 10, 2011 - 02:47 AM

You don't sound like anything but a wise 16 year old...Go ahead and post away with any questions you have (provided you do a little searching on your issue or question first)...That's what this site is for...
Stick to your maintenance schedule, keep notes of everything you do in a folder, follow the recommendations in your manual as much as you can (replacing the cam chain especially)...You should have an hour meter...
Have zero fear of your bike breaking down, you'll be able to ride the piss out of it with no worries...If it does eventually break down, it's just something that happens every now and then, but not something you should worry about on a regular basis, and it's something that may be costly and take you a little while to fix, but you'll get through it and this bike will be great to you for many years...
Depending how bad those header dings are, yes they could be affecting performance (post a pic)...Yes the DRD system will make a noticeable difference, and I think the DRD radiator lowering kit is worth it too...Hard to say what the performance issues are without the bike's history and exactly what the symptoms are, may be the pipe dings or may be a small exhaust leak from the hits, could be slight carb adjustments needed, may be old gas or need a new plug, may be the valves need adjusted, etc. etc...
Most likely it's something minor that can be corrected fairly easily...So loose the paranoia, and let yourself have pure fun without worry...:thumbsup:

Thankks for the info man!!! Also i already got a folder and an hour meter on it hahahaha I will post a pic after i get home from school.

Also man i that insurance for 3 years i got cost me like $750. But hey it covers my suspension for any leaking or damage, all electrical. motor(My buddy told me his friend rode the crap out of his yz450 and blew it up and they sent him a brand new crate motor) and all kinds of stuff.

Also what are some others things that i should do to the bike? I know a Pipe and Gray told me about a 06 cdi.

• Aka.Goose

Posted May 10, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Thankks for the info man!!!

NP.

Also i already got a folder and an hour meter on it hahahaha I will post a pic after i get home from school.

Awesome.

Also man i that insurance for 3 years i got cost me like $750. But hey it covers my suspension for any leaking or damage, all electrical. motor(My buddy told me his friend rode the crap out of his yz450 and blew it up and they sent him a brand new crate motor) and all kinds of stuff.

Good luck with that going smoothly, but just one more thing that should keep you completely at ease while riding the snot out of your bike...Don't be scared of that rev limiter! lol

Also what are some others things that i should do to the bike? I know a Pipe and Gray told me about a 06 cdi.

Those are the two biggies...Next would be a flywheel weight if you ride any slower tight single track type stuff...I really enjoy the ZipTy carb mod, did wonders for my starting, response, and smoothness of the carb...And love my Scotts steering dampner...
But really very few things you should do (maybe the breather hose reroute, and oil filter drain hole plugging with a bearing)...Just check the common mods sticky, and see what you feel you want to do...Maybe pick up some good tools, tire changing equipment, etc...We all respect guys way more who ride a stock bike well, than ride a modded out bike only so-so...Just pipe it, get the carb dialed, put a good chain and sprocket on (I prefer the 50T Tag, and Regina O-ring) and let it be for now...Save your money for track days, good comfortable gear, good tires...
Happy riding bud, you're gonna love this bike!

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:04 AM

I thought the plugs were different from 03-05? I thought only 06-08 would work. Also didnt the 04 have the most agressive hit?

The connectors might be physically different, not certain about that part, but the pin out of the connectors is the same from '03-'09. The '03 was the most aggressive, but the '04 was very similar. No one I know has tried it, but in combination with the '09 cams, it could work out very well, or it could be a complete flop. The cams should soften the low end hit somewhat, but one drawback might be that you loose power on top, but it's hard to say. Don't buy one unless it's really cheap. The PN is 5XD-85540-00-00, and it should be marked, "5XD-00".

The '06 is a proven winner, but now that everyone has caught on, they're all bought up and/or the prices are high. If you see a Vortex CDI with multiple map capability, that's another way to go.

• rcdude33

Posted May 10, 2011 - 08:18 AM

The connectors might be physically different, not certain about that part, but the pin out of the connectors is the same from '03-'09. The '03 was the most aggressive, but the '04 was very similar. No one I know has tried it, but in combination with the '09 cams, it could work out very well, or it could be a complete flop. The cams should soften the low end hit somewhat, but one drawback might be that you loose power on top, but it's hard to say. Don't buy one unless it's really cheap. The PN is 5XD-85540-00-00, and it should be marked, "5XD-00".

The '06 is a proven winner, but now that everyone has caught on, they're all bought up and/or the prices are high. If you see a Vortex CDI with multiple map capability, that's another way to go.

Now I was looking at the vortex and I saw he price but maybe down the road. Now with that can I make my bike hit hard in the bottom and stuff? Like I saw the website but it didn't explain much.

Like can I control where the power is? Say if I justwant mid and top, can I program it for that? But Im going to race woods, maybe hard hitting power wouldn't b a smart idea. But I also was looking at the switch too.

Now in can't decide hahaha. I wan. The pipe and the cdi. Also is the drd torque wise a pretty good substantial gain over stock? I read the review and they said there was more power everywhere.

• rcdude33

Posted May 10, 2011 - 08:29 AM

Goose,

I got some torque wrenches and stuff but I'm really looking at some t handles.what r some good tools, so far I got tire spoons, sockets, wrenches, etc. But like tools specific for certain parts on the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2011 - 08:38 AM

Now I was looking at the vortex and I saw he price but maybe down the road. Now with that can I make my bike hit hard in the bottom and stuff?

Like can I control where the power is? Say if I justwant mid and top, can I program it for that? But Im going to race woods, maybe hard hitting power wouldn't b a smart idea. But I also was looking at the switch too.

Most of the Vortex boxes are not programmable, but some have ~7 maps built in that the user can select. On these, any two maps can be picked out to be accessible from a handlebar switch on the fly.

I answered the pipe question already. On an '09, you will see much better low end, a big improvement in the mid and possibly a small gain on top.

• rcdude33

Posted May 10, 2011 - 08:57 AM

My bad gray. Also, Would you get the vortex? I know there's all kinds of maps but is it really worth it? But I wana get a pipe because since my is bent right where u bolt it to the engine.

I'm gona change the oil today and see. But I'm thinking it's m pipe that's causing me a little bit of performance.

Also I'm on my iPod so it's hard to look at other pages. But should I just dump one quart into the bike? Or dump a quart an put a tad bit more oil in. Like I said Im a school and I can see my other posts since my iPod is mEssed up

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.