New YZ450F owner, need help!

10 replies to this topic
  • ulumanati

Posted May 08, 2011 - 04:42 PM

Hello, I just recently bought a used 2007 yz450f and it has gone through two owners. The owner I purchased it from said he used it to race through the desert and had to sell it because he dropped it and broke his wrist, therefore not able to work and needed cash.

I have absolutely no experience with these new four strokes, as I have only been familiar with quads before. I plan on taking it to the local motorcycle guru but I need your guys' help as to what I should have them check out to ensure that the life of this motorcycle is a long one. Obviously I've been reading and reading and downloaded the manual, but from personal experience I'd like to hear what you have to say. Thanks for any help!

List I've come up with:
Oil and oil filter
Air filter clean/replace (PO said he uses NO Toil)
Loose bolt on the left side of the inside of the swingarm but I cant take it out because the sprocket is barely blocking it.. What is it?

• WB450

Posted May 09, 2011 - 07:39 AM

Have him check the valves, maybe a new timing chain. Keep you air and oil filter's clean, change your oil frequently, the amount of time between oil changes will depend on what oil you choose to use.

I'm not sure what bolt your talking about.

• idahoexcr500

Posted May 09, 2011 - 07:45 AM

I also have an 07 450 I bought last January, been a great bike for me. I agree with WB450, valve check and new timing chain. Sounds like you may have a linkage or lower shock bolt that is loose. Could also be the lower chain roller. I would tear the bike down to grease the swingarm, linkage, steering head bearings and lube the axles too. Suspension could probably use being serviced. Try sag at 95mm, these bikes are sensitive to setup. I also routed my crankcase breather hose into the airbox, lots of info in the forum on how to do that.

• ulumanati

Posted May 09, 2011 - 11:51 AM

Have him check the valves, maybe a new timing chain. Keep you air and oil filter's clean, change your oil frequently, the amount of time between oil changes will depend on what oil you choose to use.

I'm not sure what bolt your talking about.

Thanks for the help, I gave the local mech. a call and he said exactly what you recommended.. He charges 60 to check valves and another 60 if they need adjusting. Another 60 for changing oil and filter. I want to save the cash on the oil and filter but am scared of messing something up. What timing chain you recommend along with new rear sprocket tooth count? I don't really race, just like to haul a$$ out in the desert. Thanks!

Oh ya the bolt I'm talking about, if you look at the swingarm on the left side, look on the inside of the swingarm, and right where the front of the sprocket teeth are, there is a random bolt on that side of the swingarm that's completely loose and would fall out if the sprocket wasnt keeping it in place. Doesn't seem to be holding anything in place seeing as how the hole doesn't even go all the way through the swingarm.

I also have an 07 450 I bought last January, been a great bike for me. I agree with WB450, valve check and new timing chain. Sounds like you may have a linkage or lower shock bolt that is loose. Could also be the lower chain roller. I would tear the bike down to grease the swingarm, linkage, steering head bearings and lube the axles too. Suspension could probably use being serviced. Try sag at 95mm, these bikes are sensitive to setup. I also routed my crankcase breather hose into the airbox, lots of info in the forum on how to do that.

How much did you end up paying for your '07 if you dont mind me asking? For sag I'm still reading up on how to adjust that without taking the whole bike apart. I'm 6'3'' and about 206lbs if that helps any for the right amount of sag... I also want to change out the air filter for a new set and just interchange them when the time comes, is the GTYR air filter one of the better ones? I know the PO used NO TOIL filters. Thanks

• idahoexcr500

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:09 AM

Replace the timing chain with an OEM chain. Oil changes are easy, lots of info here on how to do it. Just watch the lower oil filter bolt - again info on this site. I have been running Yamaha Semi Synthetic oil but there are many suggestions on what to run. Going to switch to the Mobil 1 4T racing oil next oil change. Since you ride desert I would run stock gearing (that's what I have). First gear is not too bad although a little high. I use a twin air filter with Bel Ray filter oil. I am the same height as you but 185 lbs so stock springs are probably ok for you. I run MXA settings for the shock and 2 clicks softer on comp and rebound than stock for the forks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sledtrash

Posted May 11, 2011 - 11:21 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=447989

• ulumanati

Posted May 11, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the link its very helpful! I have a NO TOIL dual filter and already cleaned it, yet I'm confused if I am supposed to oil it up both inside and outside filters equally? I'm using Belray filter oil btw..

The outside layer is red and the inside filter is green.. After oiling do I have to wait for the it to dry again? Thanks!

• sledtrash

Posted May 11, 2011 - 09:27 PM

not sure if the dual filters are different, but on a stock one you put oil on it and spread evenly throughout the filter then squeeze the excess off. At least how I was taught to do it.

• RiderX

Posted May 12, 2011 - 04:55 AM

And yes, you should wait for the solvent in the filter oil to dry before installing and riding.

:thumbsup:

• twomancrew

Posted May 12, 2011 - 09:42 AM

Steering stem on these always needs some attention, clean & repack w/ grease. Check the clutch basket for notching.

• ulumanati

Posted May 20, 2011 - 07:48 PM

Well it turns out my younger brother took the bike off the stand and wanted to see if he could sit on it, but he let it drop on its right side, ultimately denting the exhaust header tube and scratching up the nitrogen tank for the rear shock absorber pretty bad, it's got two semi-deep scratches, but absolutely nothing leaking, or hissing.

Is the shock nitrogen tank still going to function properly if it was simply scratched, or more like gouged, definitely not punctured though...? Don't want it it fail on me or anything

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.