what are your clickers set to?

7 replies to this topic
  • humpness

Posted May 07, 2011 - 11:00 PM

For your yz450s ranging from 06-09. Im wondering how most of you are setting your clickers with your stock suspension. rebound/compression for your forks and shock. what do you ride mx or trails etc. this is merely for curiosity. right now im in the process of coming up with two different setups, one for mx and one for trails. so assuming everyone has the correct springs and the right sag set what do you got?

Edited by EOYZF, May 08, 2011 - 08:30 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2011 - 06:09 AM

Mine aren't stock, but one thing I can offer as a tip is that your woods/trail setup is apt to work better for you with the compression adjuster backed well out close to all the way open.

Also, too much rebound can cause a feeling of harshness when running over small bumps in series ("washboard").

• humpness

Posted May 08, 2011 - 02:36 PM

when my bike is set to stock settings i notice a hard slapping feel in the forks when landing some jumps. i would also launch a lot further and higher than i am used to.

i noticed if went to soft i would plow into the jump and be out of shape in the air as a result. i need to find a happy medium. i dont know how to make changes to the forks without noticing it act differently in the rear shock to get an accurate picture. it makes it hard to fix one aspect and moving on to another area. i just keep reverting to stock setup, because i need to understand the bike more.

silly thing is after i did my fork seals i counted my clicks and they were off from each other all across the board! i dont recall making any changes to the clickers until that point. it worked for me even though it was screwed up.

• brentn

Posted May 08, 2011 - 03:27 PM

Mine aren't stock, but one thing I can offer as a tip is that your woods/trail setup is apt to work better for you with the compression adjuster backed well out close to all the way open.

Also, too much rebound can cause a feeling of harshness when running over small bumps in series ("washboard").

This was what I read online regarding a review for my bike for a woods setup. I have just the compression adjusters for the front forks at 19 clicks out (20 is max I believe) and the rear shock is setup for a softer compression as well.

Helped a little bit for where I ride for sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted May 09, 2011 - 10:24 AM

I have a base setting(s) but depending on woods or desert or how out of shape I am they change considerably. If it's a mud race the rear sag is decreased a bit which in turn affects everything else. Or fork height for sand riding, etc. I think it's important to have that base setting written down permanently on paper or in the garage that you can always go back to no matter the aforementioned situation.

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 10, 2011 - 09:10 AM

when my bike is set to stock settings i notice a hard slapping feel in the forks when landing some jumps. i would also launch a lot further and higher than i am used to.

i noticed if went to soft i would plow into the jump and be out of shape in the air as a result. i need to find a happy medium. i dont know how to make changes to the forks without noticing it act differently in the rear shock to get an accurate picture. it makes it hard to fix one aspect and moving on to another area. i just keep reverting to stock setup, because i need to understand the bike more.

silly thing is after i did my fork seals i counted my clicks and they were off from each other all across the board! i dont recall making any changes to the clickers until that point. it worked for me even though it was screwed up.

You should not be concerned with what everyon else's clicker settings are set at. You should focus on what YOU feel comfortable with as far as clicker settings. Everone rides different, everyone has a different preferance to what they like to "feel" as far as suspension performance. I encourage you to experiment with YOUR clickers in a systematic and consistant method. Most importantly document your changes and make written comments so as to try and keep moving in the right direction. If after time you simply don't like your suspension (as I did with my '07) it's definately time to seek out a professional suspension re-spring and re-valve.

Some basic suspension tuning knowledge that really helped me years ago when I attended the Tony D MX school was that most people associate clickers with "harder and softer" feeling suspension. This is false thinking. The suspension clickers alter the SPEED at which your suspension reacts to bumps. Thus indirectly causing softness and harshness feeling suspension. This is why it's very critical to match your suspensions spring rates to your body weight. Hope you get your bike dialed in as there is no better confidence inspiring feeling than being on a bike with a SWEET suspension in all conditions !

Edited by Polar_Bus, May 10, 2011 - 04:37 PM.

• rdefonce

Posted May 10, 2011 - 09:39 AM

For your yz450s ranging from 06-09. Im wondering how most of you are setting your clickers with your stock suspension. rebound/compression for your forks and shock. what do you ride mx or trails etc. this is merely for curiosity. right now im in the process of coming up with two different setups, one for mx and one for trails. so assuming everyone has the correct springs and the right sag set what do you got?

I set:
fork compression damping soft . . . almost full soft. rebound only a couple clicks softer than stock

shock compression and rebound damping a bit softer than stock, but not as many clicks out as forks.

This matches my speed; slow-to-average on MX track (I do most doubles but sometimes not all) but I'm a faster off-road rider. I really just fast trail ride on MX track.:thumbsup:

If you are a fast MX track rider, you will probably need firmer settings. Compression/rebound damping settings depend heavily on your speed . . .

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2011 - 09:41 AM

Basic info/guidelines:

http://motoman393.th...suspension.html

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.