2002 YZ426FO???

9 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 10, 2001 - 11:18 AM

I have been hearing rumor & read a article today in the new DirtRider that sources at Yamaha say "No lighter, new framed, Big Bore 450 until the 2003 model season". This is not good news, but would make sense for more time for R&D, manufacturing etc...The Yamaha dealer show is next month in June for the official word. The pictures posted of the 2002 YZ250F, shows the exact bike as the 2001, with the exception of unpainted subframe. HAS ANYONE HEARD OTHERWISE??? I assume because the 2001 YZF is a "N" model that the 2002 will be a "O" model. I hope that I am totally wrong.......

• MotoGreg

Posted May 10, 2001 - 03:40 PM

I found out yesterday that the Yamaha will be the same bike as this year.

There are 9 Honda 450's in the country right now but the magazines will get their test bikes in a month or so.

• yzernie

Posted May 10, 2001 - 11:23 PM

I got it from a source VERY close to Yamaha that there will be changes for the 2002 426. He could not be specific but said that there will definitely be a change.

yzernie

• Sandracer_uk

Posted May 11, 2001 - 12:12 AM

''there will definatly change''

OHHH GOODY NEW STICKERS

• Ga426owner

Posted May 11, 2001 - 04:49 AM

YZernie, Man, I hope were in for more than BNG's....bold new graphics & unpainted subframe........By the way: the graphics on the 2002 YZ250F, looks like they took last years 2001 gas tank decal & combined with the 2000
radiator schroud decal kit. Thats enginious!
Oh well, they come off after 1 ride anyway!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Amador

Posted May 11, 2001 - 06:36 AM

So what if the 2002 YZF is the same. is that a bad thing? The current YZF is an awesome bike!! Honda comes out with a four-stroker, and now all of the sudden youe YZF isn't good enough?? Your bike wasn't to heavy before was it? If it was you would have sold it long ago.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 11, 2001 - 08:29 AM

Amador, no it is not a BAD THING. My 426 is by far the best motocross bike I have ever owned. I race almost every weekend & top 5 70-85% of the time. My worry is this: Honda CRF450, more power,lighter weight. On 4strokes, more usable power is a huge advantage. I have a friend with a YZF400 punched out to a 450. It is simply unbelievable. Now imagine 10-20lbs lighter. This equates to a big advantage on the tracks. The Eastern woods don't matter, although the open desert does matter. So, this is reality: Do you want to stay ahead or hang behind? By the way, the weight & the starting routine have never been a issue to me...unless you crash or stall. I do not want to be one of the 426 riders that top 5's 10-30% of the time this time next year. This is my issue, plain & simple.

• elroyona426

Posted May 11, 2001 - 08:06 PM

Everyone seems to be buzzing about them bumping up the displacement to 450 or something. In all honesty, i don't give two $%*%@ about more power...who needs it? The 426 produces enough for me. If i wished for a new one next year I'd want a ligher bike and the little glitches fixed, that's it.

• MotoGreg

Posted June 12, 2001 - 04:27 PM

Well, here it is a month after this post was active and now we know.... same bike. I saw a kit to convert your bike to '02 specs at Pep Boys today... it was a can of paint striper for the subframe.

I was going to wait until '03 for the new bike because I've been so happy with mine until.... this B.S. from Yamaha about not standing behind their product. This cracking gas tank ordeal has pissed me off so bad that I went and put a deposit on a CR450. I just can't believe that Yamaha would rather lose customers than replace gas tanks THAT HAVE A KNOWN PROBLEM WITH THEM!!!

------------------
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I never ride it so you should buy

• jj

Posted June 12, 2001 - 05:20 PM

http://www.yamaha-mo...ts/products.asp

Bummer...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.