Riding without chain adjuster - safe?

10 replies to this topic
  • Michael Cahill

Posted May 07, 2011 - 11:46 AM

Is it safe to ride with the drive chain adjusters removed?
assuming its pre aligned and the axel nut is torqued correctly.
or will it move out of alignment?

I had the unfortunate event of breaking off one of the chain adjuster bolts last night as I was installing a new chain.
I ordered a swingarm buddy from rocky mountain (repair kit)
but it won't get here till the day after I plan to go riding.

so is it safe to ride without them?
or should I play it safe?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 07, 2011 - 12:06 PM

I dont think I would. You would need something back there to hold that axle back so it wont get out of alignment. Be sure to keep some of that 3 in 1 oil or WD-40 on bolts like that so that they dont seize and stay moving freely.

I also use this on the shock spanner nut and threads after every wash and other working bolts and nuts like the chaing adjustment bolts.

• SXP

Posted May 07, 2011 - 06:57 PM

I dont think I would. You would need something back there to hold that axle back so it wont get out of alignment. Be sure to keep some of that 3 in 1 oil or WD-40 on bolts like that so that they dont seize and stay moving freely.

I also use this on the shock spanner nut and threads after every wash and other working bolts and nuts like the chaing adjustment bolts.

I've had the adjuster bolts come loose and back all the way into the swingarm and the axle didn't budge. Didn't realize this had happened until I was prepping the bike for the next ride a couple of weekend later. However, this was under trail riding conditions and I'm easy on the motor. YMMV!

• MaxPower

Posted May 07, 2011 - 07:39 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I would not. no way
drill and tap.Make it work or dont ride
Which side is it on?[/COLOR]

• motojase316

Posted May 08, 2011 - 04:28 AM

No. The tendency will be to over tighten the axle nut if you don't have the adjusters in place. It all works together to stop the axle moving forward. You don't want to increase the risk of the chain flying off and smashing cases etc..
Carry out the required repair, it wont be too difficult..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jasen 2007

Posted May 08, 2011 - 08:28 AM

I would say no, especially if the broken side is on the drive side. I have had my adjuster bolt loosen up and didn't notice right away, but it was on the brake rotor side. Don't chance a broken case, its not worth a day of riding IMO...

• YamahaDoc

Posted May 08, 2011 - 08:32 PM

No way... the front sprocket pulls the chain witch PULLS the rear... the axle WILL slide forward. I wouldnt do it man.

• bryawn

Posted May 09, 2011 - 07:32 AM

You can often find used swing arms on eBay. I got one for about $20 plus shipping. I went that route because it included the linkage and had decent bearings -- cheaper than new bearings. The Yamaha swing arms are all pretty much the same.

As other noted, not a great plan to ride without the adjusters in place.

• charger1hazzard

Posted May 09, 2011 - 10:26 AM

:thumbsup:if you want to rig it for ONE day.. Get a pipe or Hard piece of metal. adjust your chain to right tension. cut a piece of metal to right length and put it where the adjuster bolt usually goes.it will make it so your tire does not go fwd and should last the day:busted::thumbsup:

• Diode663

Posted May 12, 2011 - 07:23 AM

I like to put antiseize on these bolts so they come loose. This all started after I snapped one off in the swingarm. Drill the bolt out, and tap to the next size. Or you could go with a helicoil.

• Michael Cahill

Posted May 12, 2011 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

I decided not to risk it with the brand new chain/sprockets.

I ordered the "swing arm buddy" from rocky mountain.
Drilled out the seized bolts, and im good to go now!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.