Street leagal WR 400

6 replies to this topic
  • ZRT800guy

Posted May 07, 2011 - 07:42 AM

Im am looking at a street legal Wr400 to ride as a daily driver back and forth to work and around town with the occasional long distance trip... can you guys give me an idea of how well this bike would do? like will the motor last is my biggest concern, i know its going to have low off-road gearing but i can fix that up with a new set of sprocketts, i would like the thing to reliably do highway speeds, i know the thing is going to be wound out to a point doing this but that is pretty much the way it is for 1cyl enduros but again knowing this is a dirtbike i dont know if the motor would be ok in stop and go traiffic??? and crusing at 70mph??? i you guy could help me out that would be great thanks.

• Kawidad

Posted May 07, 2011 - 12:05 PM

I have a dual sported WR400 and it works okay on the street, but not great. The transmissions are weak for street use. A rear cush hub would help, but it doesn't have one.

At higher speeds, like the aforementioned 70 mph, it is so light it's rather unstable and not happy.

In stop and go, again, not happy. These bikes runs insanely hot, so stop and go would probably kill it. It boils over in seconds after being run and then stopping with no air flow. What I have done is kill it and then kick it over when it's time to go. Not a great solution, but it worked.

Then you have the electrical issue, which is lack of capacity. The WR400 has a low output stator, so you do not have any real reserve electricity for lighting, horn, etc.

All in all, can it do it? Yes. Is it the best choice? No.

• ZRT800guy

Posted May 07, 2011 - 03:52 PM

ok well i dont mind the kick start part, since i wont be doing much stop and go... but i will keep in mind the heat thing if i do get the bike, as for the stator the bike has apperently been ridden for a a year or so on the road so im not to worried about that, but i still have one question for you....If i keep in mind the stop and go traffice heat and try my best to keep it cool, will the motor last??? along with the trips down the highway every so often? how has yours done? any problems to speak of ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted May 07, 2011 - 04:22 PM

Every so often is fine, all the time and as a 50% street bike you are seriously pushing it.

Get a DRZ, WR250R, or XR650 if you want a bike that will survive anything sustained on the highway.

A WR for a good price is only a good price until you have to fork out $1000 to rebuild tge motor and tranny. 5th gear is notoriously weak and 1 quart of oil gets way hot, way fast.

Mike

• Kawidad

Posted May 07, 2011 - 08:11 PM

Every so often is fine, all the time and as a 50% street bike you are seriously pushing it.

Get a DRZ, WR250R, or XR650 if you want a bike that will survive anything sustained on the highway.

A WR for a good price is only a good price until you have to fork out $1000 to rebuild tge motor and tranny. 5th gear is notoriously weak and 1 quart of oil gets way hot, way fast.

Mike

Agreed. 3rd/5th gear is what cut loose on mine before I bought it. And, once they started shedding metal, that took out other things very quickly. (I bought it knowing the issues as a project bike, but in the end it was more project than I ever thought it would be. )

• MaxPower

Posted May 09, 2011 - 08:04 AM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Im shocked how many people want to make a dirt bike that is based on a 4 stroke high performance MX bike into a bike that can do the job of a Gold Wing.
And they turn into multi page threads

[/COLOR]

• travertt

Posted May 09, 2011 - 01:29 PM

Yes..get a DRZ, I've had one and they are much more suitable for the type of riding you describe.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.