Front tire suggestions

9 replies to this topic
  • Blue...ByeU

Posted August 19, 2003 - 11:42 AM

Any suggestions on front tire choices?
Ride in a lot of soft sandy conditions along with the forest hardpack. I don't think I like the Trackmaster II front tire very much. It really didn't grab in corners well.

I ride some road and am debating on whether to stay DOT. I like the idea of being "street legal" even with the tires, but I don't think the 5-0 really check out tires. What are your thoughts?

Posted August 19, 2003 - 02:34 PM

Michelin S-12 or M-12. Thats it. they work well for 20% or less street riding too. :)

• Talonboy

Posted August 19, 2003 - 02:46 PM

I have been using the Dunlop 756 front for the last few years, and like it. I just recently switched to a M-12, and like it so far.

• Drew_Seattle_DRZ400s

Posted August 19, 2003 - 03:15 PM

My next off-road front tire is probably going to be the M-12 or SM2. I've had very good luck with the S-12 except that the side knobs tend to chunk in rocky terrain.

There is a DOT approved copy of the S-12 front which is the Pirelli MT83. I have two sets of rims, one for dirt and the other for dual-sport, and I run this as my dual-sport front tire. Works pretty good on the street too!

• Burnrider

Posted August 19, 2003 - 04:34 PM

My next off-road front tire is probably going to be the M-12 or SM2. I've had very good luck with the S-12 except that the side knobs tend to chunk in rocky terrain.

Same experience here. The M12 grabs and lasts without the chunking in rocks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted August 19, 2003 - 03:07 PM

I agree the S12 front is not good for the road. The M12 contact and knob sizes are more appropriate. I have also heard good things on the Pirelli's for dual purpose bikes. :)

• Kev_XR

Posted August 19, 2003 - 03:24 PM

I'm using the Pirelli MT18 (Dunlop 756 like) front and Kenda 760 rear. Both DOT legal. They work pretty good.

I debate on staying DOT or not.
My next tires might be Maxxis IT or Dunlop 756.
I keep reading good things about the Michlin S12.

• neWRiver

Posted August 20, 2003 - 02:49 PM

I'll cast votes for both the 756 and M12 on front for mixed conditions from sand to rock. Both track pretty well and have similar wear resistance. I tried the Maxis IT on the rear and didn't like it. However, I've not been very impressed with most of the intermediate tires on the rear (hated the M12). I like the 756 or S12 there and as far as I am concerned, they ALL get shredded pretty quick (5 or 6 rides max) in the rocky stuff. Haven't tried the Pirelli's yet, but I'd like to.

• holeshot426

Posted August 21, 2003 - 12:19 PM

Im gonna have to go with the 756 front as well. It holds up fairly decent in rock, and once the rains hit, it rails around soft corners. The outside band of knobs grips and dices like a razor blade.

• lewichris

Posted August 21, 2003 - 03:37 PM

i like the m-12 myself. For a cheaper option i tried the IRC VE39

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.