CF skid plate & rad cages for 07 yz450

16 replies to this topic
  • Hurricane

Posted May 06, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Just picked up a 2007 YZ450F last night, it has everything but a skid plate and radiator cages/guards. Does anyone have any good sources for a carbon fiber skid plate, not finding much besides one on Rockymountain and everything else seems to be glide plates only. Also looking for a good set of radiator cages, something more supportive than those cheesy works connection braces that mount behind the rads.

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2011 - 12:11 PM

WC doesn't make braces for the '06+ model YZ450. Only cages, and they look pretty sturdy to me:

http://worksconnecti...rn=322-7-YZ450F

Lightspeed makes a good full coverage skidder, but it's pricey. As much as I like CF in general, I think I'd rather use aluminum in that role.

• Jim813

Posted May 06, 2011 - 12:20 PM

WC doesn't make braces for the '06+ model YZ450. Only cages, and they look pretty sturdy to me:

This is a well designed radiator cage (not like the normal WC radiator braces for most other bikes). I don't have any issues with it and they do what they are designed to do.:thumbsup:

• Hurricane

Posted May 06, 2011 - 12:38 PM

Lightspeed makes a good full coverage skidder, but it's pricey. As much as I like CF in general, I think I'd rather use aluminum in that role.

I've used CF in the past with good results, they get a little chewed up but they are tough and light but pricey.

• Hurricane

Posted May 06, 2011 - 12:40 PM

This is a well designed radiator cage (not like the normal WC radiator braces for most other bikes). I don't have any issues with it and they do what they are designed to do.:thumbsup:

Yeah those cages do like beefy, much better than those cheesy braces that mount on the back only. I'm not sure if I want to go for cages that cover the front too or just use the stock plastic louvers.

• dirtdevil72

Posted May 21, 2011 - 11:35 AM

Dont bother with a noisy metal one go with a hyde racing SP by far the best. I have had just about every SP out there and HYDE so far is the sturdiest so far, its plastic makes it light quiet and holds up great.

• RiderX

Posted May 21, 2011 - 01:24 PM

I'm looking in to getting the Uninbiker brand guards. They look like they offer great side impact protection AND front protection from sticks/rocks etc. The TT store sells them.

• Aicon YZ450F

Posted May 22, 2011 - 12:52 AM

I highly recommend the Unabiker Rad guards. I got a set for my bike a little under a week ago. They are built strong and offer great side and front protection. Best $$$$ spent so far and put your mind at ease :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2009YZ450F

Posted May 22, 2011 - 11:56 AM

I think Moose offers a full coverage carbon fiber skidplate for the 450's. They are available in the Parts Unlimited Offroad catalog on the TT store.

• Hurricane

Posted May 23, 2011 - 05:33 AM

Well I ended up going with Moose Eline carbon fiber skid plate and the moose radiator cages. The skid plate fit great no problems but it did make the bike sound different I guess deflecting the sound up. The rad cages were a pain in the butt. You had to drain and remove the radiators from the bike and then install. But then I had cut away alot of plastic on the inside of the shrouds so they would fit. They also make the shrouds stick out a little bit but really I didn't notice it when riding. They do feel very strong though and should really help on side impacts since they wrap around the entire radiator.

• RiderX

Posted May 23, 2011 - 06:14 AM

That's one concern I had about the cages that don't also have integrated front guards-interference with the plastic fins. The aluminum front guards offer good protection also. I do wonder if eliminating the plastic fins in favor of the aluminum front guards reduces the air flow directed over the radiators though.

I just ordered a Ricochet skid plate and I'll probably order the Unibiker Radiator guards soon as well.

• Hurricane

Posted May 23, 2011 - 06:25 AM

That's one concern I had about the cages that don't also have integrated front guards-interference with the plastic fins. The aluminum front guards offer good protection also. I do wonder if eliminating the plastic fins in favor of the aluminum front guards reduces the air flow directed over the radiators though.

I just ordered a Ricochet skid plate and I'll probably order the Unibiker Radiator guards soon as well.

I personally think they plastic louvers help draw air into the radiators and as hot as these bikes run at slow speeds I didn't want to restrict the airflow. I personally don't care for the unibikers, my friend bought them for his 2004 wr450f and had to cut out half the back supports on the right radiator so they would fit. Another friend had them on a 2005 cr450x and they stuck out so far that the first time he dropped it they dug into the ground twisted the crap out of the guard and the radiator. I would hope they have solved these problems by now but I wasn't impressed with them. I have a few friends that run the moose cages and none of them have had any issues so I went the route. I just didn't like cut out the inside of the shrouds.

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2011 - 06:25 AM

I do wonder if eliminating the plastic fins in favor of the aluminum front guards reduces the air flow directed over the radiators though.

It does. But whether it's enough to cause a problem is another matter.

• Hurricane

Posted May 23, 2011 - 06:32 AM

It does. But whether it's enough to cause a problem is another matter.

I did some brush busting yesterday and my friends wr450 with the unibikers started over heating but my bike didn't even gurgle. So did my friends ktm300 with a fan on it but then again that bike overheats on every hill climb, hence the need for the fan. Coincidence? Probably.........:smirk:

• YamaLink

Posted May 23, 2011 - 06:55 AM

Whew, I read the thread title and came in just in case you purchased the same bash plate I purchased (and have since taken off). Thankfully you didn't. I won't name names but mine was so annoying & loud that it drew attention each time the throttle was turned. Sounded like a bolt was missing or a crack developed. I was the guy looking down and up each pre-ride.

• RiderX

Posted May 23, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Whew, I read the thread title and came in just in case you purchased the same bash plate I purchased (and have since taken off). Thankfully you didn't. I won't name names but mine was so annoying & loud that it drew attention each time the throttle was turned. Sounded like a bolt was missing or a crack developed. I was the guy looking down and up each pre-ride.

Maybe a little foam weatherstripping at the contact points would take care of the skidplate noise?

• Hurricane

Posted May 23, 2011 - 07:02 AM

Give me a hint, was it carbon fiber??? I really noticed the noise right away, it sounds very different with this skid plate. Not even sure how to describe the sound my bike makes now with the skid plate, kind of a loud wind blowing or something.:smirk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.