Project: YZ426f

34 replies to this topic
  • Yamaryder29

Posted May 05, 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hey Everyone. I've been talking about this project all over thumpertalk for the last few weeks.
I recently baught a 2000 yz426f for $600. The previuos owner had siezed during a race, so he thaught he could get away with just redoing the the top end. The week before he sold it, he installed a new piston and cylinder. It started up after he did the work, then siezed after 3 min. Anyway, the bike was it perfect shape, besides that, so I went ahead and baught it. Here's a pic of the bike.
Posted Image
I tore it apart a couple weeks ago and discovered a bad rod. So, after getting my crank back, I rebuilt the engine last night.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Here's a pic of the motor complete
Posted Image
After completing the motor, I set out today to do as much as I could. I got the motor in and the suspension back together
Posted Image
I started to put my new graphics on, but after I found out the number backgrounds were wrong, I decided to just put everything back on to get it running. I got it fired up after 4 kicks. Got oil pressure, no leaks, and the transmission is smooth
Posted Image
Posted Image
I know it looks goofy with 2 differant styles of graphics, but I'll finish those tomorrow and put my frame covers and all the other stuff on. I also have to finish cleaning the header, to make it look new again. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

• RiderX

Posted May 05, 2011 - 02:23 PM

Nice work. :thumbsup:

• nokickstandsallowed

Posted May 05, 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hey, you weren't kidding when you told me you were going to get it all done. Nice touch again. Bummer about the graphics situation though. That is alright, they don't make it go any faster and I am already familiar with your excellent repair work and your capabilities of making bikes that most won't touch, look great. I still can't even decided on a top end setup, because every time I turn around, I'm reading about someone else dropping a valve or having top end problems not consistent to normal wear and tear. Nice work again.
Rack Em' UP :thumbsup:

• Yamiryder

Posted May 05, 2011 - 05:22 PM

What are you going to use to clean your header? the one on my 450 could use some shining up, and i'm curious to know how you clean yours.

• Yamaryder29

Posted May 05, 2011 - 06:40 PM

I started to use a 3m pad. That worked really well, where I did it, but it just takes time. I'll work on it here and there. I'm assuming I'll have my graphics on tomorrow and my numbers sometime next week. Hope to take the bike on and break it in tomorrow.

• brewsy

Posted May 06, 2011 - 12:44 AM

Did you also powder coat the engine cases on this one or this high-temp paint o something else?

• pembell

Posted May 06, 2011 - 02:55 AM

Nice work!

• Yamaryder29

Posted May 06, 2011 - 04:47 AM

Did you also powder coat the engine cases on this one or this high-temp paint o something else?

I powdercoated the engine covers and rear spring black, and the frame blue, and also added black carb vent hoses.

• Brentnlisa

Posted May 06, 2011 - 06:13 AM

Nice work. I take it you have all the tools to split the cases, pull bearings etc..., I wish I was your neighbor :thumbsup:

• BDubb106

Posted May 06, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Nice project... Looks like you went with Yamaha of Troy graphics judging by the rear fender? Have them on my 125, they are my fav. Yz graphics avail.!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • evil250f

Posted May 06, 2011 - 07:18 AM

Nice project... Looks like you went with Yamaha of Troy graphics judging by the rear fender? Have them on my 125, they are my fav. Yz graphics avail.!

where can you find the yot graphics at I have been looking forever

bike looks great op

• BDubb106

Posted May 06, 2011 - 10:37 AM

^^^What year and model is your bike???

YOT actually shut their doors so good luck finding any graphics as they seemed to get snatched up off of ebay really quick when word spread. The only sets of graphics I can find from them now are for 02+ YZ450&250f sets

• Yamaryder29

Posted May 06, 2011 - 11:32 AM

The bike is a 2000 yz426. Yamaha of troy graphics are all over ebay. The 426 takes the same graphics as the 01-02 yz250f. I also have them on my 05 yz250f.

• BDubb106

Posted May 06, 2011 - 11:36 AM

Yea sorry wasnt trying to jack your post, just trying to help evil 250f out. Ebay is the only place Ive seen em lately.

• Yamaryder29

Posted May 06, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Here's a couple more pics. I installed the graphics today. The only thing I really have left is to install the rear numbers and grips. The yz426 is on the left with my 2005 yz250f on the right.
Posted Image
Here's my 2005 yz250f in front of the 2000 yz426. I have matching preprinted numbers to put on both bikes, just opposite colors.
Posted Image
later next week, when I have more time, I'll get them both completely done and take pictures of both bikes clean. and btw the 426 fired up on the first kick today. I love having bikes that start when there supposed to.

• Yamaryder29

Posted May 06, 2011 - 11:45 AM

Nice work. I take it you have all the tools to split the cases, pull bearings etc..., I wish I was your neighbor :thumbsup:

don't need any special tools to split the cases on a yz 4 stroke. Everything else, yes. I have 1 dirtbike tool box I take to the races and it has every tool i need to rip apart a bike, if need be.

• BDubb106

Posted May 06, 2011 - 12:28 PM

bikes look good... I love matching bikes!

• Ryan426

Posted May 06, 2011 - 06:56 PM

I'm rebuilding my 426 next yr. I wish the hurricane kit was still aval.

• Yamaryder29

Posted May 09, 2011 - 03:32 PM

I gotta a little more done this morning. I also put the matching backgrounds on my 05 yz250f. They look like non-identical twins. I also took the 426 out today for an hour of breakin riding. This bike has tons of power. The only thing left to do now is put the rear numbers on, change the grips, and change the breakin oil, Then I can do some riding.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• DBMX 925

Posted May 09, 2011 - 03:50 PM

Nice work!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.