What color IMS tank for 2007 WR450f

6 replies to this topic
  • pschiess

Posted May 05, 2011 - 01:26 PM

What is your recommended color IMS tank for the 2007 and newer WR450F and why? The bike came with a new 3.1 natural color tank but I can exchange it for blue or black. I am not a big fan of the natural color tank as they always seem to look yellow or orange after a period of time. I most likely will end up using white plastics rather than the stock blue plastics. Any pictures you can post of your bike showing the IMS tank and graphics would be great. I really want to go yellow or white plastics but not sure if the opaque tank will look good with those plastics.

Edited by pschiess, May 05, 2011 - 02:33 PM.

• kawi380

Posted May 05, 2011 - 02:31 PM

I always run natural because I like to know if I need to refuel for the next loop...or not.

• KennyMc

Posted May 05, 2011 - 03:32 PM

I had the natural tank on my bike for just about 2 years. At the 2 year mark it developed a crack around the fill neck. It went around about 2/3rd's. It wasn't deep enough to be inside the tank but I figured it was just as matter of time. I have a few friends with 450X's that also experienced cracking with their natural tank.

I called IMS and told them my situation. They said to send it in and they would most likely knock of 20% for a new tank. When I sent in my tank I included a letter. 2 weeks later I recieved a new tank in black free of charge as requested. Outstanding customer service:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • schrode

Posted May 05, 2011 - 03:35 PM

I always run natural because I like to know if I need to refuel for the next loop...or not.

same here. function over fashion

• The Hopper Show

Posted May 05, 2011 - 03:40 PM

black

• pschiess

Posted May 05, 2011 - 04:04 PM

I had the natural tank on my bike for just about 2 years. At the 2 year mark it developed a crack around the fill neck. It went around about 2/3rd's. It wasn't deep enough to be inside the tank but I figured it was just as matter of time. I have a few friends with 450X's that also experienced cracking with their natural tank.

I called IMS and told them my situation. They said to send it in and they would most likely knock of 20% for a new tank. When I sent in my tank I included a letter. 2 weeks later I recieved a new tank in black free of charge as requested. Outstanding customer service:thumbsup:

I had a similar experience with my IMS tank on DRZ. Gave me a new tank. Good customer service.:thumbsup:

• mweitz

Posted May 06, 2011 - 05:23 AM

I LOVE my clear (very yellow and old) IMS tank. I hate running with 3 gal when I don't need to. I have each gallon marked on the side, so I can quickly estimate how much gas I have left or know how much to put in.

3 gallons of gas is about 21 pounds. Dropping 10# (1.5 gal) from the top of your bike is a good thing when you don't need it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.