New Guy

3 replies to this topic
  • ster1

Posted May 05, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Hello,

My name's Pete and I've been lurking for awhile. recently registered. I have a question for you folks. I'm looking at picking up a YZ426 or a WR426, around 99-03 year range I think. I have a CR250 that I use on the track and off road and I sure would like to keep that one a track bike and have another offroad bike, thus the WR comes to mind as a candidate. My question to you is, is the transmission in the WR really that much better for offroad than the YZ? It looks good on paper and I appreciate the lights and all, but other than that, does the YZ make a good offroad mount, or is the WR really the way to go? Thx!

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2011 - 07:19 AM

You see a lot more YZ's being used off road because they are a lot easier to find. Overall, since there is not as much weight difference between the YZ and WR426 as with the 450's, I'd see if there was a good WR around. The transmission has a considerably lower first gear that when combined with the smoother power and heavier flywheel of the WR engine makes the low speed stuff much easier to deal with. The taller fifth makes open desert and fire roads a lot more enjoyable at the same time. With the YZ trans, you have to compromise one or the other, or both.

WR suspension needs a little help, but so did the YZ's in those years. The engine can be perked up very easily.

The WR426 was only built during '01 and '02. The earlier ones were 400's, and the '03 was the first 450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted May 05, 2011 - 01:46 PM

I rode an 00 YZ426F in the woods for 6 years. 13/52 gearing works wonders.

• ster1

Posted May 06, 2011 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to go for the WR. Cheers!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.