Think this is worth diving into?

5 replies to this topic
  • VwDetour

Posted May 04, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Whats the worst that could happen? :thumbsup:

Ad states "I am selling a 2001 WR 426 street and trail bike for 1500 dollars. it needs a decompression cable but it will start. it works in 1-4 gear, when you put it in 5th it is like its in neutral."

Not much info, just curious if it could just be something simple... steal of a bike for $1500 if its a basic problem

• bg10459

Posted May 04, 2011 - 08:28 PM

I know the Canadian market is different than the US, but I would never pay $1500 for that. You're probably looking at about USD $800 to fix that yourself, because once you split the cases, you're already in for a piston, rings, timing chain, gaskets, and probably a few trans parts.

• Birdy426

Posted May 04, 2011 - 08:39 PM

Yup...though these are great bikes, 1500 bux is too much. You will probably need a couple of gears and a shifting fork to fix the trans, and as bg10459 says, once you're that far into the scooter (if it has enough miles on it to wear the shift dogs), you would want to replace the piston, rings, timing chain, and gaskets...perhaps rebuild the crank and throw in some new clutch plates as well. The most I would give for it, assuming the rest of the bike is in great shape and you can do all the repair yourself, is about 700.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • THE CYBERDEMON

Posted May 05, 2011 - 10:49 AM

Too much, I was lucky to sell my 2000 wr400 for 1300, it was street legal and had nothing wrong with it other than some cosmetic issues. I just bought my 2004 wr450 in prime condition for 1800. If you want to buy a bike for a good deal wait until winter comes around and shop around.

• danfromnb

Posted May 05, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Too much, I was lucky to sell my 2000 wr400 for 1300, it was street legal and had nothing wrong with it other than some cosmetic issues. I just bought my 2004 wr450 in prime condition for 1800. If you want to buy a bike for a good deal wait until winter comes around and shop around.

But you won't buy a prime 2004 wr450 in New Brunswick for $1800, they go for about $3500.

To the original poster, that bike has been for sale all winter. If everything else is in great shape and you can take it home for $11-1200, do the work yourself etc you might not be too bad off.

• travertt

Posted May 06, 2011 - 04:56 PM

But you won't buy a prime 2004 wr450 in New Brunswick for $1800, they go for about $3500.

I'm in Ontario...not New Brunswick....but I agree with "dan fromnb".

I drive a "prime" (in my opinion) 04 WR450. Bought it two years ago just outside Toronto...with fully street legal paperwork which was worth a lot of $$$ to me...paid 4K. Since 06 (when they changed the rules) there are no longer any more street legal WR450's that will ever be available in Ontario....to my knowledge.

SO....like the man says...if you're sure you can do the work..and you can get for 11-12 hundred.....I'd go for it. If it costs you an extra grand but is in great shape...you've got a sweet deal.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.