i like to know more about yz timing for wr's

6 replies to this topic
  • ROOKYRIDER

Posted August 18, 2003 - 07:29 PM

i have a 2000 wr 4000 looking to modify some things.alot of riders have yz timing on their wr's. what does this do to the bikes performance?

• jchantzWR400F

Posted August 19, 2003 - 04:00 AM

Well, you will lose "some" (I have heard people say "alot") of the wr's low end grunt, but will gain a mid-throttle hit, and better top end.

• wrkaholic

Posted August 19, 2003 - 09:32 AM

I did it and I like it. You just move the timing on the exhaust cam 1 tooth. Detailed directions are on motomans site. It really wakes up the mid and top end. Nice pull. Great for open trails and desert riding. I did not feel any reduced low end. If you do not like it, it is easy to change back. I have not heard of anyone changing back. It might also depend on your type of riding. If you ride mostly 1st and 2nd gear single track, it might not be for you. The bike rips with yz timing. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwriott

Posted August 19, 2003 - 07:55 AM

I'd change it ASAP. It runs so much better I can't believe I waited so long. To me, I haven't lost anything down low, the mid and top end are better. I can actually ride a gear higher and use the mid range and shift less and go just as fast if not faster. In the tight stuff, I feel it helps me more than hurts.

I am at altitude so every little bit helps.

It's easy to change and it took me about 2 hours.

• ogrebelle

Posted August 19, 2003 - 12:01 PM

I say do it as well. I can't imagine going back. When I bought the bike in 2000 I was a little disappointed and thought it was slow compared to my 2-stroke 250. I changed the cam timing and it really woke it up. It's been all smiles ever since. No regrets.
Doug

• Dodger

Posted August 19, 2003 - 07:37 PM

I agree 100%, wouldn't want to ever go back. Some have, but I didn't notice any low end loss either, and can usually lug it on tight trails with no problem. Really woke my bike up too...

Dodger :)

• ROOKYRIDER

Posted August 25, 2003 - 07:01 PM

it sounds like a done deal!i do alot of track riding though,but i do ride trails and desert with friends. now, how do i go about finding motomans site for technical info.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.