How to install Waterpump shaft seals without ruining them

12 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted May 04, 2011 - 12:19 PM

I have ruined like three sets now in my 06 450, and I have to order them in by mail so it sux. The seals are suppose to be installed with the spring part facing the oil and facing the coolant (away from each other) correct? but how can you tap them in place without damaging them, there is no lip to put them in place with? I have one set left but im afraid to install them. PLEASE.... Help with any ideas you might have on how to change them

• Sknight

Posted May 04, 2011 - 04:04 PM

I used a deep well socket that matched the diameter of the seal. If you're concerned about that you can go to a hardware store and get a 1/2" fender washer then use the deep socket. The washer will spread the load better so you can keep it nice and square.

And yes the spring faces the liquid you're trying to contain.

• MountainMax

Posted May 05, 2011 - 02:25 AM

I used a 16 mm deep socket but it was not a perfect fit, the seals are so thin it's hard to find a socket the proper size, the 17 is just a lilttle big and i was afraid i would split the housing, I guess i will keep looking for a washer to fit, that just might work :thumbsup:

• MountainMax

Posted May 06, 2011 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the washer tip, I used one on a deep socket and lubed up the outter part of the seal and it just pressed in with the handle from a hammer, all back together, now when the snow stops I might get to run her and change the oil a few times to clean her out and see if it's finally fixed.

• resinlips

Posted May 06, 2011 - 07:54 PM

I only replaced the outer(coolant) seal and it pressed in with little effort.

It also came out with ease by prying with the tip of my razor knife as opposed to the drilling a hole in the seal method I saw in another thread.

• MountainMax

Posted May 07, 2011 - 05:03 AM

They do come out easily, and the outter one goes in very ease, it's the inside one I had some trouble with. If you twist or distort them while installing they may leak again so I wanted to be sure this time they are done right so mine don't leak, if I still get coolant in the motor a major overhaul is going to be needed I guess:(

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted May 07, 2011 - 05:51 AM

Did you do a new oring on the dowel in the right case?

• MountainMax

Posted May 07, 2011 - 05:56 AM

No, should I have? do you mean the one on the oil tube from the filter??

• tribalbc

Posted May 07, 2011 - 06:08 AM

No, should I have? do you mean the one on the oil tube from the filter??

Well it's like a $1 part and could be your coolant issue.
It's the one that goes over the dowel that brings coolant from the cylinder to the waterpump.

• MountainMax

Posted May 07, 2011 - 09:14 AM

I never noticed that before, maybe it's not even there, this could be my problem, IM still not sure where the one you are talking about goes, do you have a diagram or pic?

• tribalbc

Posted May 07, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I never noticed that before, maybe it's not even there, this could be my problem, IM still not sure where the one you are talking about goes, do you have a diagram or pic?

Go to your schematics for water pump #13

• MountainMax

Posted May 07, 2011 - 12:26 PM

Ok, I was looking at the pic, it's not the best, it shows 2 seals, one under the pump cover im guessing and one on the side? is this right? Dam it, im gonna have to take everything apart again to look

• tribalbc

Posted May 08, 2011 - 07:56 PM

Ok, I was looking at the pic, it's not the best, it shows 2 seals, one under the pump cover im guessing and one on the side? is this right? Dam it, im gonna have to take everything apart again to look

Yeah the one on the side is the one I mean, but they're both the same size.
You have to pull your right hand side case again to get at this oring. I had mine fail on my 07.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.