2006 YZ450F too lean after been stored for 6 months

9 replies to this topic
  • Fredtech

Posted May 03, 2011 - 05:59 PM

I got the bike almost new. It was running to lean (like all of them brand new) so I installed the JD Jetting kit and it was Perfect!

Stored it for the winter and when I started it back after 6 months it was running extremely lean (loud pop, lots of heat). I thought no big deal I'll just clean the carb! No success.

I checked the valves and they are perfect. Cleaned and dismantled 4 times and I am puzzled...

Anybody experienced that?

I live in Houston, TX
No elevation, 80 degree
2.25 turn, 170 main, 50 jet.

Thanks in advance

• todds924

Posted May 03, 2011 - 06:17 PM

I got the bike almost new. It was running to lean (like all of them brand new) so I installed the JD Jetting kit and it was Perfect!

Stored it for the winter and when I started it back after 6 months it was running extremely lean (loud pop, lots of heat). I thought no big deal I'll just clean the carb! No success.

I checked the valves and they are perfect. Cleaned and dismantled 4 times and I am puzzled...

I live in Houston, TX
No elevation, 80 degree

Thanks in advance

Not saying you dont know how to clean a carb properly.....but I would clean the carb again properly. Pay special attention to the pilot jet and leak jet and leak jet passage that goes through the carb body. remember even though you can see daylight through the pilot jet...that doesnt mean its clean or sized properly. A 50 pilot seems awful big?? And if thats perfectly clean there is no way that thing should pop...unless you have a big air leak with the pipe.

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2011 - 06:59 PM

The orifice in a #45 pilot is about .015", and if it has a .002 film of varnish on it, it will still look open, still pass liquid through it, but it will be effectively over 20% smaller than it is supposed to be. Push the shank of a #79 drill through your pilot jet and try that.

• todds924

Posted May 03, 2011 - 07:10 PM

The orifice in a #45 pilot is about .015", and if it has a .002 film of varnish on it, it will still look open, still pass liquid through it, but it will be effectively over 20% smaller than it is supposed to be. Push the shank of a #79 drill through your pilot jet and try that.

I have a chart at work...Pilot size# equals drill size # conversion and I believe a 77 is a 45. Not 100% on that though.

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2011 - 08:29 PM

I have a chart at work...Pilot size# equals drill size # conversion and I believe a 77 is a 45. Not 100% on that though.

Post the chart. Or, if you can't, PM me. That would be handy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted May 04, 2011 - 02:20 AM

I live in Houston, TX
No elevation, 80 degree

Thanks in advance

Are you running E10 fuel ? If so, E10 is BAD when left in your fuel system for extended periods of time beyond a month or so. E10 leaves a corrosive fungus residue on the fuel system components and will cause all kinds of ill running issues. Make sure in the future you use some type of E10 stabilizer fuel additive. I strongly recommend Startron. There is also Stabil Marine, and I recently saw Stabil has a specific E10 formula too.

• primerib108

Posted May 04, 2011 - 06:26 AM

I use this stuff to clean the exhaust ports on my head when I rebuild + soak my jets when I get it ready after a winter slumber.

Amazing stuff and doesn't hurt anything except your nostrils.

http://www.fssupply....sp?idCategory=3

• todds924

Posted May 04, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Post the chart. Or, if you can't, PM me. That would be handy.

I posted it some time ago...dont know if you can pull it up but..I will run a copy tomorrow and post it up for you. I know the ones I use the most are 77,78 and 79.

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2011 - 07:11 AM

Found it:

http://www.thumperta...114#post5418114

Thanks.

I should make the point that the drills should ONLY be used BY HAND or with a pin vise, and very carefully.

• todds924

Posted May 05, 2011 - 06:02 PM

Found it:

http://www.thumperta...114#post5418114

Thanks.

I should make the point that the drills should ONLY be used BY HAND or with a pin vise, and very carefully.

I use a pin vise or I'll hold the drill bit with some Duckbill pliers and "Spin" the jet with my fingers on the drill bit. Yeah,,,,,,,for sure breaking one of those off is not good....and expensive.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.