YZ426 Range with Stock Tank?

12 replies to this topic
  • Erich in az

Posted May 03, 2011 - 01:45 PM

Well, i just picked up a 2002 YZ426, and wanted to see what the range is on a stock tank. The bike appears to be completey stock. Also, is there easy/cheap swap to a petcock with a reserve setting?

Thanks

• cowboyona426

Posted May 03, 2011 - 01:56 PM

I was able to get 50 miles out of the stock tank on my old 00, give or take depending on riding conditions and how much I was on the throttle. With the stock YZ petcock you won't need the reserve, unless you'd just like to have the reserve as a "warning alarm" so to speak. The YZ petcock will allow you to use all the fuel in the tank, but when you're done you're pretty much done for good. A WR petcock from the same year bike will have reserve and bolt right up.

• salemonkey

Posted May 03, 2011 - 02:31 PM

i wouldnt mind having one to know when im nearly out. ive ran mine dry a few times. not sure about miles but last about 3-4 hours with breaks inbetween for me(less or more depending on durations of breaks). i would get scared of running out if i was going really far from my truck for hours. i also try to remember to fill up if i make breaks at the truck. also curious how long others have made there tanks last.

• Erich in az

Posted May 04, 2011 - 05:35 AM

That's what I'm looking for, a "hey stupid, you are almost out of gas" switch.

Pushing a bike across the desert because you were having too much fun, is no fun at all :thumbsup:

• RiderX

Posted May 04, 2011 - 06:57 AM

Will a petcock from an 09 WR fit an 09 YZ? Reserve has saved my butt a few times on my KTM's so I'd love to have it on my YZ without putting a big tank on it.

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Will a petcock from an 09 WR fit an 09 YZ?

Yes..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderX

Posted May 04, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Yes..

Sweet, thanks. I'll be ordering one. I assume this holds true for any YZ450 or 250F then? I have a buddy with an 02 YZ250F and I'm sure he'll want to order a WR petcock as well.

LOL @ "pet" cock :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2011 - 09:15 AM

I assume this holds true for any YZ450 or 250F then?

Yes..

• salemonkey

Posted May 04, 2011 - 03:35 PM

That's what I'm looking for, a "hey stupid, you are almost out of gas" switch.

Pushing a bike across the desert because you were having too much fun, is no fun at all :thumbsup:

good luck trying to push a bike in the dunes lol. the first time i ran out of gas i kept checking it so i knew i was running low. so i stayed real close to the truck and i ran out of gas about 100 yards out. just over a little hill. that kicked my ass. any incline is nearly impossible. and when my crank went out last month i had a four wheeler try and pull me closer to the road and that sucked(didnt make it that far till i asked him to take me to my truck). same thing happened to my buddys bike last year and then this year his chain broke. i bet it was funny watching me riding with my buddy on the back of my 426 in the dunes. ive definitly thought about getting a petcock with a reserve setting for my bike. its way to easy to get caught up in the fun and not keep a eye on how much gas you have left.

• RiderX

Posted May 05, 2011 - 05:38 AM

good luck trying to push a bike in the dunes lol. the first time i ran out of gas i kept checking it so i knew i was running low. so i stayed real close to the truck and i ran out of gas about 100 yards out. just over a little hill. that kicked my ass. any incline is nearly impossible.

You should have left the bike and walked to the truck to get the gas can!! :thumbsup:

• WRF Woods Weapon

Posted May 05, 2011 - 05:47 AM

Got some mighty forearms like Popeye that will do:cripple::thumbsup::cripple:

• WRF Woods Weapon

Posted May 05, 2011 - 05:50 AM

Stock tank about 45-50 miles!

• salemonkey

Posted May 05, 2011 - 07:56 PM

You should have left the bike and walked to the truck to get the gas can!! :thumbsup:

that day we used all the gas we had. or i would of just yelled at my friend to get me the gas. much easier then me running over to get gas lol.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.