Removed coolant overflow reservoir.

12 replies to this topic
  • JerseyDirt

Posted August 18, 2003 - 10:36 AM

A while back I brought up the topic of removig the coolant overflow bottle and finally got around to doing it this past weekend so I figured I would share MY experience. After removing the bottle and re-routing the overflow hose, I took the bike for a 5 minute spin and when I came to a stop (with bike still running), coolant was coming out enough to form a small 6" puddle. Once the initial amount came out there was no additional fluid loss. We hauled the bikes up to New Hampshire and rode them 30 miles each way from campsite to riding area where we rode tight woods with some faster sections, including a sand pit. After a full day of riding I checked the fluid level in radiator and it was completely full. I feel confident that I will not experience any overheating problems as a result of removing the overflow bottle. Bikes looks cleaner, and shed some weight to boot.

JD

PS. I'm using the stock radiator cap. :)

• ogrebelle

Posted August 18, 2003 - 02:46 PM

Sounds like my experience. :) Stock cap, no problems, just watch your levels like you should anyway.
Doug

• yamadog1964

Posted October 03, 2003 - 03:24 PM

buddy of mine and I went to Terluingua Tx. for a dualsport ride and 2 miles into the ride my buddy flatsided around a sweeping jeep trail bike went over the edge and droped about ten feet to some rocks and developed a leak in the radiator. If it was'nt for the puke tank he would have drove 900 miles to sit in the hotel for two days. He was able to use water from his camel back to keep the tank full about every ten to fifteen miles the radiator sucked out what it needed and the ride was great. Since then I didnt think nothing of the extra weight.

• JerseyDirt

Posted October 06, 2003 - 04:47 AM

Youre friend got lucky but with that reasoning you should also install a spare gas tank and an external oil tank in case one of the oil lines are ruptured in the event of a crash. :smashpc:I say get rid of anything that you dont need under normal riding circumstances.

• Math

Posted October 06, 2003 - 07:24 AM

When we leave for long rides ( 1 to 3 days) we even bring two litres of oil and epoxy metal glue just in case one of us would break his case. Taking off that radiator overflow can does not make sense to me.

If I follow your advidse, Jerseyfirt, I will remove my handguards... naaaahhhh....

If you are riding around or racing and the pick-up truck and tools are not far around (within few miles) you may allow yourself doing it but if you plan on doing big runs, few additional pounds can make the diff.

It is my humble opinion.

• JerseyDirt

Posted October 07, 2003 - 05:48 AM

Don't blow what I said out of proportion, your hanguards protect you on every ride making them very useful, which is more than I can say for that silly coolant overflow bottle which has never done anything but help keep mud packed in under my fender. I agree with taking certain precautions especially if going on a long ride, but the odds of ever needing that bottle are slim to none. It doesent store enough coolant to be useful in the event a radiator hose ruptures or do any good if the radiator is smashed during a crash. There has to be a reasonable trade off between what you carry on a long ride and the probability that those things will fix any potential problems. Basic tools, wire, oil, spare tube, air cartridges, etc are worth carrying because the odds are good that you will need them. The same can not be said for the ol' overflow bottle. That being said, this is America :D and everyone is entitled to their own opinion so if you want to leave your bottle on It certainly won't hurt my feelings :).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Strick

Posted October 07, 2003 - 06:15 AM

I have no need for my overflow bottle. I have never overheated a bike so badly that I even needed to add water on a ride or in a race. This WR is the first bike I have ever owned with one anyway?? I did not like the fact that it leaked on my swingarm or the extra weight, or the unslightliness of it. So, it's gone from my bike.

BTW - I won't run any other hadguards than flags. I broke a finger in those meateaters, and know a lot of riders who broke their wrists BADLY getting caught in those.

• beezer

Posted October 07, 2003 - 06:39 AM

I'm alerting the New Hampshire authorities that Jersey Dirt polluted the environment by leaking a 6 inch antifreeze puddle.

• JerseyDirt

Posted October 07, 2003 - 07:52 AM

Beezer, you did not read my post carefully. It clearly states that I dumped the pollutants in the Garden State of New Jersey PRIOR to heading up to New Hampshire. If you want to notify the NH authorities, let them know that I polluted one of their state forrests after a very greasy breakfast :). Ohh, which reminds me, removing the coolant overflow bottle creates a nice space to hang a roll of toilet paper. Just make sure you secure it before takeoff unless you want a 100ft streamer behind your bike.

• beezer

Posted October 07, 2003 - 07:58 AM

Polluting NJ is okay!

It's been done many times before we did it. :)

• Drew_Seattle_DRZ400s

Posted October 07, 2003 - 11:08 AM

Just curious? How much does the coolant bottle weigh?

I'm not an enviro my any means, but the idea of a bunch of bikes puking anti-freeze all over the trails doesn't appeal to me. :)

• JerseyDirt

Posted October 07, 2003 - 11:20 AM

My best guess is that it weighs at least 50lbs :). Seriously though, it probably only weighs a pound or two, but (for me at least) there is no benefit to having it on. As for your environmental concern, after the initial discharge of one or two ounces immidaitely after the removal, no additional fluid is lost. If it was, I would be forced to keep topping off my radiators which i have not had to do once yet.
JD

• Drew_Seattle_DRZ400s

Posted October 07, 2003 - 12:21 PM

My best guess is that it weighs at least 50lbs :D. Seriously though, it probably only weighs a pound or two, but (for me at least) there is no benefit to having it on. As for your environmental concern, after the initial discharge of one or two ounces immidaitely after the removal, no additional fluid is lost. If it was, I would be forced to keep topping off my radiators which i have not had to do once yet.
JD

Ok :)

I can see doing it for a pound or two. The one on my DRZ only weighs a couple of ounces, so that's why I asked. Thx

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.