2007 WR450F broken baffle bolts

7 replies to this topic
  • pschiess

Posted May 02, 2011 - 08:15 AM

I recently picked up a nice well maintained and hardly used 2007 WR450f. I noticed that the smallest baffle was still in the exhaust. I drilled out the 2 rivets holding it into place but it would not budge at all. I then decided to remove the entire baffle to try and get better leverage. In doing so all 4 allen head bolts broke off (#12 in picture below). I had soaked them with penetrating oil as they looked pretty fixed into place but that did no good. I used very little torque on the first one and used a 1/4" ratchet and it broke. I then decided to use an impact wrench thinking that the vibration would help. No luck it broke also. Same happened on bolts 3 and 4.

Posted Image

Now my questions are -
1. Is this a common occurrence?
2. How do I fix it? Drill out the broken bolts and tap new threads or rivet the piece back on?
3. What can I do to prevent this from happening again if I use bolts?

I did manage to get the small baffle out after breaking all 4 bolts. Man was it stuck in place. Did not want to come out. The bike came with an after market Pro Moto Billet insert to replace the stock one so do not even need the stock one but still have to bolt or rivet it back together. Any help or advice is welcome.

• wartsnuff

Posted May 02, 2011 - 09:52 AM

pretty common i suspect.

my 2008 barley came out..

try tightening them first... with a crack... snap... not even force.. clean and jerk...

cheers
Warts

• cherrypicker7

Posted May 02, 2011 - 02:09 PM

This isn't going to be an easy fix, but I'd go about it this way. If you don't have access to an acetylene torch take it to a welding shop and see if they can do it for you. I'd heat the broken bolts until they are orange, make a punch mark as near as center as you can, pick the appropriate size drill and easy out. Hopefully the first heating broke the bolt loose and it will back out without too much more trouble, if it resists try heating the area around the bolt. If this still doesn't work, and by that I mean you are concerned about breaking off the easy out. Stop and get bigger and bigger drills until you are close to original bolt diameter. You might be able to get similar results using a propane torch, but they don't put out sufficient heat in my opinion. Good Luck

• mikewrf18

Posted May 04, 2011 - 12:13 AM

Just an idea I've used on old Jeeps when I snap a bolt. If you have a little of the bolt still sticking out, you can weld a nut to it and use a socket wrench to get more leverage on it. The hole in the nut makes it easy to fill and bond to the bolt. The heat will also help with getting it to budge, elimenating the need to torch it more often then not. This is of course if you have a welder.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pschiess

Posted May 04, 2011 - 10:58 AM

Unfortunately the bolts broke off flush with the mount so nothing to weld to. I ended up going to my local dealer and they had a brand new muffler as a take off unit fairly reasonable.

• mikewrf18

Posted May 04, 2011 - 10:09 PM

Unfortunately the bolts broke off flush with the mount so nothing to weld to. I ended up going to my local dealer and they had a brand new muffler as a take off unit fairly reasonable.

Did you ever think about swapping the exhaust with a YZF exhaust? I just did that mod recently. I paid $100 for a complete 08' YZF exhaust with PMB spark arrestor/end cap from a guy here on TT. They're all over ebay for cheap if you decide to go that route. I have my old stock exhaust but the mid pipe is bent pretty bad. If you need some bits and pieces, let me know. It's just taking up space in my garage.

• pschiess

Posted May 05, 2011 - 06:22 AM

I was not aware a YZ pipe was a bolt on part. Good to know. I wish I would have known this a few days ago. Thanks Paul

• mikewrf18

Posted May 05, 2011 - 09:27 PM

I was not aware a YZ pipe was a bolt on part. Good to know. I wish I would have known this a few days ago. Thanks Paul

It sure does, I read about it on here and then did the mod myself. It tucks in nicely inside the side plate unlike the stocker that sticks out far enough to kiss every rock, stump, or log when I lay it down. Here's a pic with complete 08' YZF exhaust.

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.