2006 YZ450F Transmission... Problem?

5 replies to this topic
  • ldzp

Posted May 01, 2011 - 05:08 PM

Good evening,

So my bike has always had an issue of not going from first gear into neutral. Took it to the yamaha shop and they played around with everything but the transmission (realigned clutch, new fork seals and oil, and charged me for a new chain guard as well), so that was just fantastic. I figure I could deal with not going from first to neutral, I'd just clutch in first to chat with friends/etc.

Went riding when I get it back from the yamaha shop, and for the first 20 minutes everything's running like a top. Then I notice it's becoming increasingly more difficult to shift up (from 1st>2nd>3rd>4th> etc) and I decided to call it quits and go back to town, and shifting down was increasingly difficult as well. It got to the point where when I was back to my pick-up, I couldn't even shift out of first gear.

Now I'm not looking to exclusively take it back to the yamaha shop (I'd like to actually get the TRANSMISSION fixed, not get charged for random things...) but if anyone has had a similar issue I'd love to know what's causing this.

I could pull the motor out and start inspecting the transmission but I don't know what could be causing this (shaved burrs on the main axle?).

I would really appreciate anyones experience / input / thoughts on this issue.

Cheers

• fastyz250

Posted May 01, 2011 - 05:16 PM

i had a similar problem with my 06, it would not go into neutral while running and after awhile shifting was harder all together i replaced my clutch with a new barnett one and all issues are gone the trans feels so much better and shifting to neutral is no problem no matter how long i have been riding. i think the plates get warped and dont allow the clutch to disengage all the way

• ldzp

Posted May 01, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for the fast reply Fastyz250, so you think the problem could be with the clutch then?

When it was at the shop the gentlemen there also apparently looked into the clutch and said all of the plates were fine, just the clutch adjustment was out of alignment (right by the lever)

Thanks again for the input, I will add that to look into

:edit:

the clutch fully engages; while I'm in first gear I can pull the clutch all the way in and have it completely disengage to a stop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 01, 2011 - 07:00 PM

The inability to shift to neutral is almost certainly clutch drag. Plates are the most likely cause.

But that should not affect shifting underway, as you should be able to do that without the clutch. Take the clutch apart and see if the main shaft turns freely, or feels rough and hard to turn. One of the main shaft bearings may be bad, causing the symptoms you have in shifting on the road.

• ldzp

Posted May 03, 2011 - 11:44 AM

The inability to shift to neutral is almost certainly clutch drag. Plates are the most likely cause.

But that should not affect shifting underway, as you should be able to do that without the clutch. Take the clutch apart and see if the main shaft turns freely, or feels rough and hard to turn. One of the main shaft bearings may be bad, causing the symptoms you have in shifting on the road.

Thanks for the response grayracer, I believe you are correct about the clutch, and need to replace the plates.

I decided to pull the motor out this morning but thought I'd take the bike down the road just to check the symptoms again, and to my surprise it was shifting smooth as butter.. So I know there is a problem, but only sometimes, or perhaps only when it gets really hot.. So I'll leave it for now :thumbsup:

• Padgett

Posted May 03, 2011 - 12:58 PM

Pull the clutch apart and check the inside clutch hub and the outer preasure plate. My Son trashed the clutch in my 06 and this was the main problem, the fiber and steel plates for sure. The bike was acting the same as yours.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.