My 426 is dripping gas

10 replies to this topic
  • Hoyal

Posted May 01, 2011 - 04:36 PM

So just like the title say Im leaking gas out of the side of my carb I believe. I tried a search but Im not sure what to look for and my internet is slow as crap! Its when the gas is left on it has a small drip out of the side of the carb. I ordered the Orings for it. My main question I was curious about is it ok to ride it like this while waiting for the part? I haven't been riding it since I found it. Also is it hard to fix by my self or should I have someone do it for me. I think its coming from this side of the carb.
Posted Image
Thank,
Devin

• Hoyal

Posted May 02, 2011 - 05:16 AM

Anyone help me with this. I have read several thread stating a float may be stuck. But I'm not sure? Any info would be helpful.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 02, 2011 - 06:50 AM

Where exactly is the gas coming from? Is it coming out of the hoses on the carb or somewhere else?

• Hoyal

Posted May 02, 2011 - 06:57 AM

I think it is coming out of the side of the carb.. But I need to take some things off to see if it is coming out higher. It is on the side I took the pic but I have not been able to find exactly where yet.

• Hoyal

Posted May 02, 2011 - 06:58 AM

I think its at the spot bolted together right under the lower brown tube.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2011 - 07:47 AM

The most likely cause of a leak in that area would be a torn accelerator pump diaphragm. It's fairly easy to replace without taking the whole carb apart.

Carbs are not particularly difficult, but they do require good mechanical skills to tear down and reassemble them without damaging screws and such, and very careful attention to detail.

• Hoyal

Posted May 02, 2011 - 08:12 AM

I will have to look into that. Thats not a piece that comes with the carb rebuild kit is it? Should it stay parked and not started till that is fixed?

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Yamaha doesn't sell rebuild kits, so I don't know what's in the kit you got from wherever it came from. Probably not.

As far as riding it, your engine gets hot, and gasoline is extremely flammable.

• Yamiryder

Posted May 02, 2011 - 09:56 AM

Yamaha doesn't sell rebuild kits, so I don't know what's in the kit you got from wherever it came from. Probably not.

As far as riding it, your engine gets hot, and gasoline is extremely flammable.

:lol:I hope he understands that you mean it's a good idea not to ride it gray...

• Hoyal

Posted May 02, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Oh I haven't been riding it. I bought all the orings separate that yamaha sold. I dropped it off with a buddy to look at. I know all about how flammable gas is (Im a fireman) But its the vapors that are the most flammable :thumbsup: I think your right about what part though gray, the leak is coming from higher up after we looked at it a little more. Thanks for the help! As you can tell I dont know much about dirt bikes so all the info is appreciated.

• Hoyal

Posted May 02, 2011 - 11:51 AM

Thats what it was thanks again! He is putting a boyesen quickshot accelerator pump in.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.