XR650R in technical woods race, can it win?

68 replies to this topic
  • stonewall

Posted August 18, 2003 - 04:19 AM

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!! :D My little brother has won every race he entered this year and I wanted in on the action. I haven't raced in nearly 7 years but I pulled off my dual sport stuff and headed out. The course was EXTREMELY rocky and covered in black slimy mud. There were plenty of tight woods sections too. Mine was the only BRP in the race and everyone was looking at me like I was an idiot for riding such a pig. I started from the fourth row and at the end of lap 1 I was in 5th OVERALL! I was passing groups of bikes at a time in the nastiest rock sections. It was in the mid 90's and I didn't have any water (little brother borrowed my camelback) so I just set a comfortable pace and didn't try to charge. I didn't pass anyone or get passed on the second lap so I got 5th overall in the race, 1st open class. It was cool passing all the YZ's KTM's CRF's etc. It took 2 hours to go 26 miles so it was plenty tight. The big XR rocks. I am still running the stock thermostat and radiator cap and had absolutely no overheating problems but lots of other bikes were puking coolant everywhere. I was running stock gearing too so it was definitely a little fast for this kind of stuff. The only bad part of the day was getting beat my little brother, he got the overall by 15 min. That is hard to swallow even if he is 14 yrs. younger than me. :)
Here's a pic of me and my pit crew for the day. I let my 3 yr. old go up and get the trophy and he was grinning ear to ear. I'll stop bragging now. Just don't let anyone tell you the pig won't go in the woods :D Posted Image

• qadsan

Posted August 18, 2003 - 05:50 AM

Great story! Congrats on your victory :)

• stonewall

Posted August 18, 2003 - 06:46 AM

Thanks qadsan
Every time I stalled the bike yesterday I kept telling myself I had to save up for that Z-Start. :)

• 625SXC

Posted August 18, 2003 - 10:04 AM

Congrats on your finish! This weekend we rode some trails like you desrcibed in Wayne National Forest. I heard time and again..."Dude I can't believe your riding a 625 (KTM625SXC)in these woods!". I guess most guys can't apprieciate someone using a 300 plus pound THUMPER inplace of a 210lb 2 stroke 200cc bike :)

• jeff_sj

Posted August 18, 2003 - 01:09 PM

Awesome! When will people wake up and realize the XR650R is THE BEST DIRT BIKE EVER MADE?! It wins Baja 1000 every year and is competitive in the woods too. 200cc 2 smokes are merely speed bumps to a BRP rider... heh

• scorch

Posted August 18, 2003 - 12:00 PM

Congrats!! The xr is a great bike. Even guys like me can ride them.... slowly.. :D

Hopefully ill get as good as you.. Stonewall, you should come up to taskers gap one day. Steve and I will meet you there for a pig fest. :)

• BoZerk

Posted August 18, 2003 - 02:02 PM

Yeah, I really don't get all the criticism about the weight. To me it's the torque that's most important in tight sections. I'd much rather have a little more weight with all the extra torque it's worth it.

Yesterday I was riding my BRP up some steep narrow trails and I was glad I had that torque!

It's the torque not the weight! I wouldn't trade my BRP for anything!

Good job in the race...congratulations

• needsprayer

Posted August 18, 2003 - 01:10 PM

Probably scared a bunch of riders in that first lap.

That's why they didn't try to pass you back. Nothing like having a big XR grunting loudly from behind and then plowing furrows as it passes.

I agree about the torque, it's always there and can save your butt in slow, tough sections.

Nice picture of you and your son. :)

Posted August 18, 2003 - 04:10 PM

Congradulations STONEWALL!!!!

That the way to stick it to those MiniBikes!!!! Scorch and I are ready to meet you at Taskers Gap when you are ready. Scorch and I road AV's little WR250 and I was thrashing and trashing for just a short distance. It handles well but NO POWER!!!! I put the TerraFlex 2 on my 00 XR650R and it Rocks and throws rocks!! AV was behind me most of the time and had to stay well back out of the Line of Fire. AV wants a new rear tire for the 250 but it can't turn a 140 effectively. AV rode my XR and said he liked the power but not the weight and suspension. The forks are trash, I'm 200lb + gear and the forks are set-up for a 170lb'er.
I'm getting them re-done with-in a month and will keep you posted.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted August 18, 2003 - 06:13 PM

Well done Stonewall!! :D Proof once again that pigs rule :) :D These guys are right, you probably scared the crap out of those minibikers!! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rokatt88

Posted August 18, 2003 - 06:40 PM

Great Story & Great pit crew ya got there! Bet he's proud of his Daddy! Rock On Stonewall! :)

• stonewall

Posted August 18, 2003 - 05:43 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies. The torque AND the weight worked for me in this race. Weight is your friend in the nastiest rock sections. The BRP just plows right on through, straight as an arrow, while the lightweights bounce all over the place.
It's been a long time since I've raced and I didn't know if my old body could take it. My pit crew stopped playing in the creek long enough to give me a quick splash of ice water and I was good to go. :)

scorch the race was up near you. It was just outside Winchester at a place called The Cove. I don't know if you can ride there all the time but Tasker's Gap doesn't have many rocks compared to this place. I'll try to get up there sometime to ride with you guys. I'll bring FooBarr along and we'll turn all 4 pigs loose in northern Virginia. :D

• stonewall

Posted August 18, 2003 - 06:01 PM

Spend some time setting up those forks. They work pretty darn well in stock form. I am 210 lb + gear and still run the stock springs. With an oil change and a little fine tuning they are far from trash. I do need stiffer springs so I'm riding higher in the stroke but other than that they work great. This bike is way better than I'll ever be, and I'm always broke, :) so I just hate to spend the cash. One thing I have to do is raise the bars on this thing. It has CR lo bends in the stock clamp and they are WAY TOO LOW. Maybe I could come up with some homemade bar risers. :D
You all load up the bikes and come to visit me sometime :D

• scorch

Posted August 19, 2003 - 02:54 AM

I have heard about the Cove. How far away is that from you? I thought Taskers gap was super rocky.. Damm, im looking for a place without that many rocks to learn on :D

Have you tried riding mx tracks on the xr650?

scorch the race was up near you. It was just outside Winchester at a place called The Cove. I don't know if you can ride there all the time but Tasker's Gap doesn't have many rocks compared to this place. I'll try to get up there sometime to ride with you guys. I'll bring FooBarr along and we'll turn all 4 pigs loose in northern Virginia. :)

• XR/CRDave

Posted August 19, 2003 - 09:54 AM

I raced a Carlsbad Grand Prix in 2001 on my CR250 in the open class w/ friends (maybe I should have ran my 650R)and Johnny Campbell scared the sh@% out me when he passed me from behind. Piped BRP's sound knarley at speed. I just remember thinking what the hell is this coming up behind me.

• smashinz2002

Posted August 19, 2003 - 07:48 PM

That's kick ass man! :)

• AZ_XR_Maniac

Posted August 20, 2003 - 05:53 AM

Weight is your friend in the nastiest rock sections.

Until you go down and and have to pick all that dead weight up. :) Congratulations on what sounds like an excellent and fun ride stonewall. An event like that is even better when your family is there to share it with you! :D

• stonewall

Posted August 20, 2003 - 12:33 PM

I have heard about the Cove. How far away is that from you?
Hey scorch
It took me just over 2 hours to drive to Winchester. The Cove was about 10 miles west of there.

Have you tried riding mx tracks on the xr650?

No MX for me. I just watch that stuff on TV :)

• stonewall

Posted August 20, 2003 - 12:46 PM

Johnny Campbell scared the sh@% out me when he passed me from behind.
I know what you mean. I've never been passed by Campbell but Scott Summers put the fear in me more than once.
It's hard to describe that sound coming up behind you at a high rate of speed. Especially when you are riding your ass off and he uses you for traction then is gone in the same instant :)

• beer_studd_76

Posted August 23, 2003 - 10:05 AM

i love my 85 XR600R. she still runs strong (finally), she still pulls sick roll on wheelies with a 260lb rider on board, and she'll still pull 95+MPH in the open places.

that said, while it's possible to ride fast in the technical twisties, it is very demanding and so much more tiring than my KTM380EXC.

the BRP is a fabulous dirt bike, but it is not the best bike for tight technical sections (though it's much better than many BRP haters think).

jeremiah

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.