Countershaft leak - Help

4 replies to this topic
  • R_Little

Posted August 18, 2003 - 04:15 AM

Rode in my first slimy eastern enduro y'day and noticed my chain getting "lubed" as I rode.

Can't believe the amont of mud and crud that wedged behind the stock C/S cover! My chain and sprockets were new so I ran the chain a little tighter than usual - 2 inches above the rear chain slider screw. Was this too tight for the mud?

Anyway, its leaking pretty bad.

Has anyone changed the C/S seal. Pls tell me I don't have to take to motor apart! Hopefully I can just pull the little cover under the C/S and yank and replace the seal.

Thanks,

• MOmilkman

Posted August 18, 2003 - 06:09 AM

Has anyone changed the C/S seal. Pls tell me I don't have to take to motor apart! Hopefully I can just pull the little cover under the C/S and yank and replace the seal.

Thanks,

Yep, thats all you have to do, is pull that cover off and swap seals.

BTW: Your tight chain is most likley the culprit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R_Little

Posted August 18, 2003 - 06:36 AM

Thanks Momikman,

Yeah, I guess the Yamaha spec for chain tension is too tight. Only thing is if I leave it loose, it eats the chain sliders and is much more noisy.

I presume yamaha spces a tight chain to cut the noise for EPA.

What chain slack do you run?

Will I need a set of dental picks to pry the old seal out?
I think I've read there is a little o-ring in there too. Should I replace this as well? Anything else you recommend I replace while in there?

Thanks

• MOmilkman

Posted August 18, 2003 - 07:35 AM

Only thing is if I leave it loose, it eats the chain sliders and is much more noisy.

Yes, but its better to wear on the slider than to chuck a bearing in the case from having too tight of a chain. For a permenant fix go to www.ziptyracing.com and get the nylon chain slider. You will never have to replace another buffer.

What chain slack do you run?

I kind of do it the primitive way. More less eyeball it, but rule of thumb is you should be able to put 3 fingers-width under the chain, right behind the slider.

Will I need a set of dental picks to pry the old seal out?
I think I've read there is a little o-ring in there too. Should I replace this as well? Anything else you recommend I replace while in there?

I believe I took mine out with a very small screwdriver. You shouldnt need dental picks to get it out.
Oring? I dont remember one. Check your diagram in your manual.
Just be certian to wipe everything down good and get ALL the dirt out and nice and clean before installing the new seal or you might have the same problem all over again.

Good luck.

• R_Little

Posted August 18, 2003 - 09:00 AM

I've ordered 2 seals in case I mess one up.
The parts guy says there is an o-ring in there but it is behind the bearing, which will require a case split to change.

I was running 3 fingers slack, so maybe the chain was not too tight.

Anyway, the whole area around the C/S and above the skid plate was covered with mud. I'm almost sure the breather hose could have been clogged with mud too.
That would make the crakcase pressure go up and maybe blow some oil out. Waddya think?

I'll check it when I get home.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.