07 yz450f suspension sag

9 replies to this topic
  • Yamiryder

Posted April 29, 2011 - 05:09 PM

I've done a little searching, but i'm looking for a little advice on my sag settings. When you set sag, where do you measure from? What is the best setting for my bike, being i weigh 160-165, what have you guys used? Also, what tool is best for setting sag and do I need to take my subframe off to do it? Sorry about the noob questions, I know how to work on my bike, but i've never messed with the sag before. Thanks!
:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2011 - 07:29 PM

Shoot for 95mm rider sag, 30mm free. If you get to 95 and have more than 35mm free sag, your springs are too stiff for your weight.

Staying at lees than 100mm will help the bike turn in better with less push, as will pulling the forks up some.

• YamaLink

Posted April 30, 2011 - 05:36 AM

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

• gordybaird801

Posted April 30, 2011 - 08:10 AM

Use the Uni-Sag...by MotionPro. According to the manual for all bikes, sag should be measured from seat bolt to lock nut on chain adjuster. Consistent every time. The tool will also check your front suspension properly. After that first set-up on your bike, it will be so easy to fine tune your sag settings to fit your riding area and abilities.

• Yamiryder

Posted May 01, 2011 - 03:43 AM

thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • idahoexcr500

Posted May 02, 2011 - 08:59 AM

I have experimented with sag and all suspension settings on my 07. I ended up at 95mm as the best overall along with the forks slid up 5mm in the clamps. More sag than this and the bike does not turn well and is less stable. Its VERY sensitive to setup. I am 185 WO gear so the stock springs are ok for me. They may be too heavy for you at 165 depending on the type of riding you do. Play with the clickers too. I ended up taking 2 clicks (softer) out of the forks comp and rebound. Shock I am running MXA suggested settings. Works pretty well overall. The bike is a nice compromise between turning and stability for the mostly desert riding I do. For MX I would run the forks at stock clickers to stiffen them up.

• Yamiryder

Posted May 02, 2011 - 09:39 AM

I'm kinda thinking the stock spring might be a little heavy for me too. What would be a softer spring rate that would work for me and how much would a different spring cost me?

• idahoexcr500

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:58 AM

You could check with some of the suspension shops or the manual. You might need the next step down for the fork springs and shock spring. Also, I did have to remove the subframe to loosen the preload ring on the shock to adjust sag as mine was too tight from the original owner. I then just did not tighten it much so was able to turn it by hand to dial in the sag with everything put back together.
Many here have commented on how much a revalve helps, I just don't have the money to do it. If you could afford it, a respring/revalve would be your best bet.

• Yamiryder

Posted May 02, 2011 - 04:16 PM

You could check with some of the suspension shops or the manual. You might need the next step down for the fork springs and shock spring. Also, I did have to remove the subframe to loosen the preload ring on the shock to adjust sag as mine was too tight from the original owner. I then just did not tighten it much so was able to turn it by hand to dial in the sag with everything put back together.
Many here have commented on how much a revalve helps, I just don't have the money to do it. If you could afford it, a respring/revalve would be your best bet.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 16 and am trying to find a job just so i can do a couple things i need to on the bike and to keep up on the maintenance. Thanks for your response though:thumbsup:

• Octanee

Posted May 02, 2011 - 09:00 PM

i dont know about all of this sag stuff, but i have found on the track, that from my stock setup, i have my forks on stiffest, rear shock stiffest, not on the spring, but the dampening system, and because i am not Yet very good, it does help alot when landing, you sit on the bike, it feels stiff, but out on the track with some of them jumps and landing hard, it makes the difference

so my setup is probably wrong, i dont know, but it works, and it works well when you land perty hard....

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.