WR400 Ran for 30 sec, died, now won't start:/

7 replies to this topic
  • WReese

Posted April 29, 2011 - 07:21 AM

I have a 2000 WR400 taht i bout 9 months ago. I tagged it and I ride it everyday to class. it has never gave me one bit of a problem.

I changed the oil in it 12 days ago still ran fine. Rode it to class several time and rode it 9 miles down the interstate and another additional 15 after that.

This morning i went down to start it and it started like 2nd kick as usual with the choke on. I let the engine catch up with the choke til it was about time to turn the choke off. So i turn the choke off(maybe a little early) and it died. I didn't think much of it but then it would NOT start. AT ALL. With the choke on or off.:thumbsup:

Sorry if this is a sticky question. i just searched for an hour and couldn't find anything overly helpful. SO i would appreciate any help for this college student.

Thanks

• travertt

Posted April 29, 2011 - 08:04 AM

First...are you sure you had the gas on when you started it the first time...if not you may have emptied the float bowl just as you turned off the choke and therefore just run out of gas.

OR

It just stopped because it wasn't quite ready to run without the choke and you may have flooded it when you tried to re-start...especially if you had the choke on.

Let it sit for a couple of hours and try again...

OR

pull the plug and see if its wet/damp. If it is wet then you flooded it. If this happens to me I usually clean and dry the plug and then with the plug still out make sure the gas is off, the ignition is off, the choke is off and without twisting the throttle...kick it over several times to circulate some air thru the cylinder to help evaporate the gas (ensure that you are not in a dusty environment when you kick it over with the plug removed)...then wait 10 minutes, re-install the plug and try to start it again.

If it shows absolutly no sign of life at this point...then something more complicated may have happened and you'll have to start troubleshooting.

Good luck.

• Shred Jesse

Posted April 29, 2011 - 08:19 AM

Yeah, check for basic stuff. Once you've ruled that out we can try and help!

• teamtree

Posted April 29, 2011 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, check for basic stuff. Once you've ruled that out we can try and help!

Yeah the basics Air, Fuel and Spark!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WReese

Posted May 02, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Thanks guys, I finally got the plug changed. and IT LIVES! ran great last night. I got it going in the dorm parking lot and it ran just as good as ever.

BUT

Started up this morning, first kick at 41 degrees. but on my it ran great warming up and idleling but in second gear it bacakfired and just ran like crap. so after class i rode it around some more and it even died once.

so i pulled over and started right up and revved it and it seemed like the engine would run fine when idleling. so now thats where i'm at now:bonk:

ANY suggestions?

• Pooley

Posted May 02, 2011 - 08:21 AM

When you say it ran like crap, what exactly do you mean? Was it bogging like crazy, idle racing then coming down, popping on decel, etc?

If you put in a new plug and it ran great, only to get worse over time, I would lean towards something in the carb tuning eating up plugs. It can be as simple as a piece of dirt getting into one of the jets and changing your mix enough to adversely affect plugs.

I would pull the carb and thoroughly clean out all the jets and passages. Take them out, inspect, clean and use compressed air (a can like people use to clean keyboards will work fine) to blow them out. Do every jet for both fuel and air, don't skip any.

While you have been riding it to class every day, what was your regular temps, and at what temp did you check your jetting? It could even be as simple as adjusting the fuel screw.

• wartsnuff

Posted May 02, 2011 - 11:57 AM

Thanks guys, I finally got the plug changed. and IT LIVES! ran great last night. I got it going in the dorm parking lot and it ran just as good as ever.

BUT

Started up this morning, first kick at 41 degrees. but on my it ran great warming up and idleling but in second gear it bacakfired and just ran like crap. so after class i rode it around some more and it even died once.

so i pulled over and started right up and revved it and it seemed like the engine would run fine when idleling. so now thats where i'm at now:bonk:

ANY suggestions?

don't rule out bad gas ??? have you dumped and changed fuel??

also sounds like the carb is ready for a good cleaning

good luck

cheers
Warts

• WReese

Posted September 08, 2011 - 10:38 PM

I know this was a while ago. But thanks for all the willingness to help guys. Y'all are helpful. Way more helpful, timely, and productive than any other forum. Very great advice

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.