Who makes the best o-ring chain?

51 replies to this topic
  • Polar_Bus

Posted May 06, 2011 - 02:40 AM

damn im glad i didnt get the did ert2 chain now!
but what is a orn6 chain?

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2011 - 09:02 AM

.... what is a orn6 chain?

The Regina ORN6 is an O-ring sealed #520 racing chain that uses a press fit clip type master link. It's available under the Regina name, and also from MSR as the "MSR Regina ORN6". I don't know if it is still the case, but for many years, the Renthal R1 was a relabeled ORN6 sold at a higher price.

The ORS6 is an O-ring sealed chain that employs a riveted type master link, for those who prefer that. Regina also makes the ZRH and ZRD chains which use a patented variation of a multi-lipped seal in place of O-rings for those who want something upscale.

• thestuz

Posted May 07, 2011 - 12:16 AM

they sound good. i do prefer the clip link my self. makes for easier maintainance.

• dvn

Posted May 07, 2011 - 03:42 AM

I don't know if it is still the case, but for many years, the Renthal R1 was a relabeled ORN6 sold at a higher price.

The Renthal R1 is a non o-ring chain. You are referring to the Renthal R3.

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 07, 2011 - 04:44 AM

they sound good. i do prefer the clip link my self. makes for easier maintainance.

Correct, you don't want the added aggravation of a rivet link on a motocross bike. Rivet links are for high hp street bikes. I personally even run clip links on my street bikes, but I smear some RTV on the clip so it doesn't pop off as a little added insurance.

• wakedoc

Posted June 14, 2011 - 02:58 PM

Depends on what you mean by "best". "Best" is a very much overused and fairly useless term.

The ORN6 by Regina (also sold as the Renthal R3 at one time, but at a very much higher price) is a very, very durable chain that's sold at a relatively reasonable price. If best means the most expensive, it's not. It also does not have the highest tensile strength on the market, either, but If you keep it correctly adjusted and clean, you won't be able to break it.

They last over a year, year and a half for me, and they keep the rear sprockets from wearing as fast because they just don't stretch.

Is the Renthal R3 still this chain Gray? Hard to find Regina stockists in New Zealand, but have come across the Renthal R3 (does seem to be a reasonable price however) - or have they changed - based on your comment above ("at one time").

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2011 - 03:07 PM

Is the Renthal R3 still this chain Gray? ... - or have they changed

I'm afraid I don't know that.

• Tmall

Posted June 14, 2011 - 04:22 PM

I ran a 520 on my R6 in '05 when I was road-racing, and at the time it made 116 rwhp on the dyno (after a shaved head, thinner head gasket, degreed cams, PCIII, full Yosh. etc. etc). While I'll agree that the dirt/debris is hard on a chain, I'll disagree that a dirt bike itself puts more stress on a chain than a 600 - simple math, it's putting more than twice the amount of hp through the same chain.

Your R6 also has a cushioned rear drive. The mx bike is directly mounted to the rear hub. Then you have the larger distance between the sprockets, and the increased slack needed to compensate for suspension travel.

If you want to talk stress in terms of "strengths of materials" then whatever bike puts the most tq to the rear wheel will handle the greatest stress.

If you want to talk stress in the context that it's being talked about here, the chain on an mx bike sees a much, much more "stressful" life than a road bike chain.

• Duner185

Posted June 15, 2011 - 12:43 PM

if you are looking for a good chain that fits in your budget i would go with the Primary Drive i have used one on my YZ45f and it has lasted me for two years here is a link where i got mine.
Primary Drive then in the search type chain that's how i found them.

• Jim813

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:35 PM

I've had good luck with both the Regina ZR chain (higher end z-ring chain) and the Regina ORN6 chain.

• highmarker

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:42 PM

my best luck has been with DID products, both drive and cam chains, but I haven't tried them all. You sort of get what you pay for.

• curtis515s

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:47 PM

RK GB520EXW This is the best chain that I have ever used. The GB stands for gold. If you want black then it is called a 520EXW.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.