Big bore with CP high compression piston

6 replies to this topic
  • lixno

Posted April 28, 2011 - 05:37 PM

I have a 03 YZ450F, which i have turned into supermoto. I am thinking of upgrading the motor a little bit (already have WB Carbon Pro full system, JD jetting and open air filter K&N style).

My first thought since i don't want to spend a lot of money, was to buy a big bore kit from Cylinder Works or Max Power at 478cc.
As far as i can see these kits come with a standard compression piston.
So, do you think that a higher compression CP 13:5 with the big bore kit will work better or not? I am thinking that it might require other cams or head porting...
Also has anyone installed a CP piston with a Cylinder Works cylinder (i see that CW comes only with Vertex pistons)?

• yz450fcranker

Posted April 29, 2011 - 04:18 AM

get yourself a stroker crank and a high compression cp piston and get your cylinder remade to fit the big bore piston its like putting a perfectly nice cylinder back in that already works maybe porting and cams will also give you some power but not as much as a stroker 500cc

• lixno

Posted April 29, 2011 - 04:46 AM

get yourself a stroker crank and a high compression cp piston and get your cylinder remade to fit the big bore piston its like putting a perfectly nice cylinder back in that already works maybe porting and cams will also give you some power but not as much as a stroker 500cc

I know that a stroker will give me more power, but as i mentioned i cannot afford right now the extra $ for it.
Also a stroker isn't as reliable as a simple big bore cylinder at 478cc...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted April 29, 2011 - 05:55 AM

I put a standard bore 13.5 CP piston and Hotcams in my 03 450 dirt tracker and the thing really runs sweet.

• lixno

Posted April 29, 2011 - 04:27 PM

I put a standard bore 13.5 CP piston and Hotcams in my 03 450 dirt tracker and the thing really runs sweet.

Thanks for the info! Did you try the CP piston without the cams first?

• beezer

Posted April 30, 2011 - 03:20 AM

No I did both at the same time. I think you needed one to work with the other.

• lixno

Posted April 30, 2011 - 04:43 AM

I have done a lot of search in this forum about High Compression pistons. I see that a lot of guys have installed 13,5:1 CPs or Wiseco's in stock motors (cylinder bore and cams) and noticed power gains.
Do you think that there is any difference with the bigger bore?

(Gray, i would appreciate a lot your point of view:thumbsup:)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.