Hematoma Over Shin, Treatment?

16 replies to this topic
  • The-Realist

Posted April 28, 2011 - 02:26 PM

I hit my shin twice in the same spot. First time not that bad at all, didnt even get a bump but it still hurt like hell. Second time a couple days later and I hit it alot harder and now I have a medium sized (maybe 2" diameter) hematoma. Doesn't bother me when I walk or move my leg, only if something touches it unexpectedly, I just fear hitting it again really. I have read to ice it, wrap it, and keep it elevated of course. But I have also read to heat it, I don't understand why I would want to heat it if I am also trying to keep it cold? Can someone explain this and also explain any other way to speed healing time without getting it drained. I feel like draining it won't necessarily increase healing time but rather just relieve the pressure and reduce the sensitivity of that area.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted April 28, 2011 - 02:30 PM

I've had a hematoma a couple of times in my life and they just went away on their own. But none of them were major either.

http://www.medicinen...oma/article.htm

If you did this riding, get shin guards. I wear them and glad I do on a number of occasions.

• DrMark

Posted April 28, 2011 - 02:53 PM

It takes time, time, and more time.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted April 28, 2011 - 02:58 PM

It takes time, time, and more time.

What are you thoughts on infection since the trapped blood doesn't have a blood supply? Pretty low? Like I said, I left mine to just heal on their own and they did.

• The-Realist

Posted April 28, 2011 - 03:02 PM

Heh the first hit was against a foot peg while riding and the second (worse one) was kicking over the 450 with sneakers on and of course my foot slipped off, slamming my shin with all my weight right into the kick start, thats what i get for rushing and trying to get the bike warmed up before I started suiting up.
So what is better for it, heating or cooling? I also read somewhere that a person claimed taking aspirin helped heal it which I'd imagine would do the opposite since it would thin the blood and potentially increase swelling :thumbsup: I was also thinking if having a cup or two of coffee a day(which is normal for me) would benefit me in anyway, since the caffeine causes blood vessels to constrict. Or would that reduce my bodys ability to send essential nutrients to that area to aid in repair?

Edited by The-Realist, April 28, 2011 - 03:17 PM.

• kyle450rider

Posted April 29, 2011 - 12:08 AM

I've had 2 of them. One on the inner thigh, the other on my stomache. Both took about 3 months to completely go away. I didn't bother doing anything with them as far as treatment goes.

• DrMark

Posted April 29, 2011 - 07:32 AM

If there is no penetrating wound, infection isn't on the menu.

• Plushpuppy

Posted April 29, 2011 - 04:15 PM

My husband got one from being stabbed by a juniper spike just above his boot on his shin. The blood dried and his pants stuck to his leg. So at the end of the day(never stop riding!!!), he felt this big lump on his leg(with the pants stuck there) and like a guy(hehe) ripped off the pants and that pulled the scab plug on the stab hole and quite a spectacular fountain of blood spewed across the room(literally!). Our small boys got very wide eyed and their lip started quivering--IS DAD GOING TO DIE!!!! No, but it woulda been hell on earth of he had to live through 3-4 months nursing that thing till it went down!

I had a really hard time not laughing cleaning up all that blood*(it was a rental cabin and I'm thinking if anyone ever shines the CSI light on the floor they're gonna wonder what the hell happened here???), I'm trying to be nonchalant so the kids don't freak(they did great), and of course hubby wants a beer, NOW!!!

(yes, a half cup of blood looks like 3 gallons worth:D)

• Harry Paratestes

Posted April 30, 2011 - 06:06 PM

Man up! Stab it with a sharp pointy stick.

Who you gonna listen to,some random loon on the internet,or one of them bored certified doctors?

• The-Realist

Posted May 01, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hahaha yeah I am very tempted to stab it myself, its just one of those kinds of things like a scab you wanna pick. If I decide to do something like that I think I'll just go have the doc do it so they can give me some antibiotic just to make sure I don't get a massive infection.
In the mean time, I'm gonna wrap a heated blanket around it at night because I did some researching and apparently heat will help the pooled blood re-absorb into the body, and it will also increase blood flow to the area(to promote healing)... I dunno sounds like they cancel each other out. But I'm gonna try it.

• davbrucas

Posted May 02, 2011 - 07:08 AM

Man up! Stab it with a sharp pointy stick.

Who you gonna listen to,some random loon on the internet,or one of them bored certified doctors?

There are a few of us on here that are board certified physicians...

Hahaha yeah I am very tempted to stab it myself, its just one of those kinds of things like a scab you wanna pick. If I decide to do something like that I think I'll just go have the doc do it so they can give me some antibiotic just to make sure I don't get a massive infection.
In the mean time, I'm gonna wrap a heated blanket around it at night because I did some researching and apparently heat will help the pooled blood re-absorb into the body, and it will also increase blood flow to the area(to promote healing)... I dunno sounds like they cancel each other out. But I'm gonna try it.

Do this and you will get an infection.

• Plushpuppy

Posted May 02, 2011 - 09:11 AM

DON"T poke it now to drain it--it's been days and (I'm not a doctor by any means) I think the blood would have coagulated and isn't runny anymore. You've got stuff going on in there and it's a mushy blob now that won't just spurt out.

When my hubby "drained" his(a few hours after injury), the blood washed out the injury hole and I washed it. We went to the urgent care and the nurse cleaned it and dressed it and said keep Neosporin on it and watch for infection--it was fine.

But yeah, now, it's a different ball game. Not to mention that you making a cut down through the flesh carries a high risk of introducing germs down into it. THere is no way now you can clean all that out by poking it anyways--you would further damage tissue by squeezing and stuff to try to make it come out, you would make healing take longer by damaging what it's doen already.

Good luck though! Cardio will also develop new blood vessels and increase circulation to carry the crap away.

• The-Realist

Posted May 02, 2011 - 02:57 PM

Do this and you will get an infection.

Yup this is exactly why I said I'll leave it to a doc if I decide that needs to be done, because I know they will give me amoxicillin to prevent infection. This has just been a huge annoyance for me :thumbsup:

• Plushpuppy

Posted May 02, 2011 - 03:05 PM

watch out for those MRSAs :thumbsup:

(but really, I can imagine what a witch this will be, good luck!)

• Harry Paratestes

Posted May 02, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Yup this is exactly why I said I'll leave it to a doc if I decide that needs to be done, because I know they will give me amoxicillin to prevent infection. This has just been a huge annoyance for me :confused:

Yup,you missed a golden opportunity for self realization and exploration.
Now you gotta hit it with a hammer to get it gooey again.:worthy:

Davbrucas,I know there is some fine doctorin' talent here,but I'm talking Bored certified. You know,when your sitting around with a few buds and somebody says" I'm bored, Hey watch this!" Then you get to work on 'em.:thumbsup:

• davbrucas

Posted May 03, 2011 - 04:17 AM

Yup,you missed a golden opportunity for self realization and exploration.
Now you gotta hit it with a hammer to get it gooey again.:worthy:

Davbrucas,I know there is some fine doctorin' talent here,but I'm talking Bored certified. You know,when your sitting around with a few buds and somebody says" I'm bored, Hey watch this!" Then you get to work on 'em.:thumbsup:

LMAO...I overlooked that the first time I guess. :confused:

• The-Realist

Posted May 03, 2011 - 08:16 AM

^ hehehe yeah that was awesome ^^
ya know, ive watched some videos of people draining it and i was thinking they should warm the area up real good with a blow dryer first to help it come out after they lance it :thumbsup: i'd imagine the same concept of warming your engine before doing an oil change is a lot similar lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Slam Dunk by dturk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  41 replies
Forums
Photo

Mx training besides running by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Weight Reduction or Shaving the Pork... by MentalGuru

• Hot  126 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF250L- 1, Dog- 0 by razorbill

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

How many miles should you be able to run before you race hare scrambles? by fenderlove01

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.