05 yz250 front end push

24 replies to this topic
  • 2502smoker

Posted April 27, 2011 - 10:28 AM

my yz is killing me washing out the front end on flat corners and it is killing my speed. What things can i do on bike setup to help this? i race C class in harescrambles and am around a B class mx rider but this push is really holding me back. My bike has very good tires(perilli with about 3 rides on them) around 110mm sag, not sure about the suspension valving and springs because i havnt had the money to have it setup for me.

I realized this problem last week when i rode my buddies yz the same year and everything as mine and his front end was stuck down much better than mine and the bike felt much more planted overall. The thing is his tires were no where near as good as mine and his bike hooked up much better.

My ideas are to lower the sag and maybe raise the forks in the tripple clamps but i noticed they are already pretty high up.

any help would be great!

• mattedhead

Posted April 27, 2011 - 10:33 AM

Try dropping the sag to 100-102...did wonders for my bike.

• adam728

Posted April 27, 2011 - 11:30 AM

Less sag, then play with the fork height. When high speed stability becomes an issue, you've gone too far. I run 100-102 mm sag, my forks are pulled up about 8 mm.

• kan3

Posted April 27, 2011 - 12:56 PM

How much do you weight btw?

• Pckawi

Posted April 27, 2011 - 01:00 PM

reduce the sag bro, and yes raise the forks up in the triple clamps do like a 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the line at the fork cap should help u buddy, also your buddies bike that dug in and stuck alot better what size tires is he running and does he have offset triple clamps, could explain it

• dgcars

Posted April 27, 2011 - 01:35 PM

All the above. If the front feels like it is stiff and doing a slow push...comp may be too harsh, if it suddenly dips...check your rebound is not too slow.

• 2502smoker

Posted April 27, 2011 - 01:49 PM

How much do you weight btw?

around 165

• RCannon

Posted April 27, 2011 - 04:27 PM

What tire are you using up front? I feel like a stock yz 250 has to have a great front tire.

• CaptDan

Posted April 27, 2011 - 04:45 PM

...your buddies bike that dug in and stuck alot better what size tires is he running and does he have offset triple clamps...

I know it's an expensive, lazy man's ( :thumbsup: ) mod, but 22.5mm offset triple clamps (stock is 25mm) will have your front end hooking up like crazy. And it will make it seem like any front tire will work. :thumbsup:

At least that is what I've found.

• CelticDude

Posted April 27, 2011 - 05:28 PM

Who did you get your clamps from? I checked Pro Taper and they don't list the YZ250.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted April 27, 2011 - 05:44 PM

I know it's an expensive, lazy man's ( :thumbsup: ) mod, but 22.5mm offset triple clamps (stock is 25mm) will have your front end hooking up like crazy. And it will make it seem like any front tire will work. :thumbsup:

At least that is what I've found.

Thats a great follow-up to what I was asking. I too noticed my bike turns with 22.5 and a marginal tire up front. Before 22.5, it had better be a good, fresh tire.

• Vintage Not Pimpage

Posted April 27, 2011 - 06:44 PM

Try running the forks flush with the top clamp. I found that because of the YZ's inherent lack of front end traction raising the forks made the front knife and made the problem worse.
I have a very hard pack flat corner on my track which is the trickiest corner anywhere, I know what you mean about holding you back!

• CaptDan

Posted April 28, 2011 - 01:03 PM

Who did you get your clamps from? I checked Pro Taper and they don't list the YZ250.

The '08 we bought last year came with a set of RG3 clamps. I swapped them onto my '06 and love 'em. :thumbsup:
I think RCannon has RG3 as well.

Applied Racing makes 22.5 & 24mm clamps, too.

http://appliedrace.c...roducts_id=1439

At first I thought the 22.5's were too much, and was thinking 24 or 23.5 would be more balanced, but I'm used to the 22.5's now. :confused:

• CelticDude

Posted April 28, 2011 - 04:18 PM

Those are for the '05 forks. I've got '07 forks on mine. They do list a set of 24mm clamps for '07 - '09.

• jwaseman

Posted April 29, 2011 - 02:38 AM

my yz is killing me washing out the front end on flat corners and it is killing my speed. What things can i do on bike setup to help this? i race C class in harescrambles and am around a B class mx rider but this push is really holding me back. My bike has very good tires(perilli with about 3 rides on them) around 110mm sag, not sure about the suspension valving and springs because i havnt had the money to have it setup for me.

I realized this problem last week when i rode my buddies yz the same year and everything as mine and his front end was stuck down much better than mine and the bike felt much more planted overall. The thing is his tires were no where near as good as mine and his bike hooked up much better.

My ideas are to lower the sag and maybe raise the forks in the tripple clamps but i noticed they are already pretty high up.
any help would be great!

smoker,

If it were me, I would bring your sag down to around 100-102 like you and others have stated. You run lots of sag, thats going to contribute the problem.
As you know, spring rates can be a factor too. What is your weight?
After you set your sag, check your rebound on the forks, if its too fast your bike will want to stand up on you. Go in a few clicks.
Compression can be factor as well, not letting the bike to settle.
Run your tire pressure around 11 - 12 psi.

I hope this helps:thumbsup:

jw

• jwaseman

Posted April 29, 2011 - 02:42 AM

Try dropping the sag to 100-102...did wonders for my bike.

You know, just about every bike that I set up likes the 100-102 of sag.:thumbsup:

• mattedhead

Posted April 29, 2011 - 04:56 AM

You know, just about every bike that I set up likes the 100-102 of sag.:thumbsup:

Dammit!!!! and I thought the YZ was special!:confused:

• djmamayek

Posted May 17, 2011 - 12:54 PM

Pro Taper lists 22.5 mm clamps for the yz250, spendy though.

http://www.protaper....ccu-trax-clamps

Anyone know if Applied makes them for the 06+ bikes?

• CaptDan

Posted May 17, 2011 - 02:23 PM

Pro Taper lists 22.5 mm clamps for the yz250,

Anyone know if Applied makes them for the 06+ bikes?

Odd, they seem to have skipped some applications on the Applied website...

http://appliedrace.c...=1d&filter_id=1

I bet if you were to call them they would hook you up. :smirk:

• JDog101

Posted May 18, 2011 - 10:12 AM

Ride engineering makes 22 mm clamps for the YZ250. Just installed some on my 11' YZ250 and love'em!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 YZ125 "intro" by Racer X by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 2000 and 2003 cylinders by dawson1120

• 6 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ125 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ125 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Everything for a beginner! by danieljames

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

1998 yz125? by Cort003

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.