I got ripped off. Need to know all the differences between an 08 and 09 YZ450F

29 replies to this topic
  • RiderX

Posted April 27, 2011 - 07:00 AM

So I just picked up an 09 YZ450F last night. When I picked it up the bike was at the owners friends house, who had a 2008 YZ450F. While looking at the bikes I noticed his friends 08 had a red lettered Excel wheel on the front and a blue lettered Excel on the rear, and the opposite on the 09 I was buying. I didn't think much of it at the time. After I got the bike home and started looking it over more closely I noticed the swing arm was not an 09 swing arm, but an 08. This explains the different wheels, since the 08 wheel will not fit the 09 because of the swing arm difference. I then went over the bike looking for anything with a wrench mark on it, since the bike supposedly has only about 15 hours (I would say that's not too far off from the truth motor-wise). I noticed the triple clamp bolts have wrench marks on it. The top triple clamp is from the 08-since it only has one mounting position, not two like the 09's are supposed to have. I'm wondering if the forks have been swapped as well.

So it appears that his buddy, with or without the owners knowledge has swapped parts between his 08 and the 09 I just bought. Can anyone tell me all the differences in these two year models? I'm trying to get ahold of the seller about this now. I need to figure out what all has been swapped and confront him about it.

Edited by RiderX, April 27, 2011 - 07:26 AM.

• Metalman62

Posted April 27, 2011 - 07:16 AM

So I just picked up an 09 YZ450F last night. When I picked it up the bike was at the owners friends house, who had a 2008 YZ450F. While looking at the bikes I noticed his friends 08 had a red lettered Excel wheel on the front and a blue lettered Excel on the rear, and the opposite on the 09 I was buying. I didn't think much of it at the time. After I got the bike home and started looking it over more closely I noticed the swing arm was not an 09 swing arm, but an 08. This explains the different wheels, since the 08 wheel will not fit the 09 because of the swing arm difference. I then went over the bike looking for anything with a wrench mark on it, since the bike supposedly has only about 15 hours (I would say that's not too far off from the truth motor-wise). I noticed the triple clamp bolts have wrench marks on it. The top triple clamp is from the 08-since it only has one mounting position, not two like the 09's are supposed to have. I'm wondering if the forks have been swapped as well.

So can anyone tell me all the differences in these two year models? I'm trying to get ahold of the seller about this now. I need to figure out what all has been swapped and confront him about it.

The serial number should tell you for sure. Do some research on which digit designates the year manufactured. I think its the 10th but could be wrong.

• RiderX

Posted April 27, 2011 - 07:23 AM

The serial number should tell you for sure. Do some research on which digit designates the year manufactured. I think its the 10th but could be wrong.

I already did that, it's definitely an 09 according to the VIN on the frame.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 27, 2011 - 07:39 AM

I would definitely contact the seller and ask him if he knows anything about it. Sounds kind of shady... hopefully it works out for you.

• Steel Panther

Posted April 27, 2011 - 07:44 AM

Here are all the differences I am aware of between the two years.
Rear hub
Swingarm(not sure if the linkage is different)
Top tripple clamp
clutch lever
front brake line guide
cam cover color
the only thing different in the motor is the shift forks.

I would be pissed, and I would definitely talk to the owner.

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:03 AM

On the plus side, if it's an '08 swing arm and wheel, that means that the vast array of used YZF wheels made for the last 10 years and more will fit. It's an odd swap for someone to make. I'm not sure what the big improvement in the '09 swinger was supposed to be, but I don't think it amounted to much, and the interchangeability issue has been a nuisance for several people already.

The switch of the top clamp is an annoying thing that may or may not really ever bother you.

The whole thing is kind of slippery, especially since you weren't told of any of it. I would have disclosed all that.

• nevada

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:15 AM

On the plus side, if it's an '08 swing arm and wheel, that means that the vast array of used YZF wheels made for the last 10 years and more will fit. It's an odd swap for someone to make. I'm not sure what the big improvement in the '09 swinger was supposed to be, but I don't think it amounted to much, and the interchangeability issue has been a nuisance for several people already.

The switch of the top clamp is an annoying thing that may or may not really ever bother you.

The whole thing is kind of slippery, especially since you weren't told of any of it. I would have disclosed all that.

i do agree to some extent.
but its not like he was buying a NEW bike. it was used.
it was the buyers responsibility to look it over, and KNOW what he was buying.

• RiderX

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:17 AM

The whole thing is very slippery, and I'm extremely pissed. If this isn't resolved to my satisfaction the seller is going to have a major problem on his hands.

I noticed the fork part #'s are different between 08 and 09, but don't see anything from Yamaha saying anything changed about them. The motor doesn't appear to be tampered with. It's got the black cam cover, and none of the bolts appear to have wrench marks on them. I think the swing arm and top triple clamp may be the only swapped parts. Possibly the forks also, because it does look as if the lower clamps have wrench marks on them, but the 08 and 09 forks look identical, so I can't tell if they've been swapped.

• RiderX

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:20 AM

i do agree to some extent.
but its not like he was buying a NEW bike. it was used.

I asked the owner if anything had been messed with and he said no, it's all factory stock except the exhaust, and fuel screw.

• schrode

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:25 AM

kick his ass seabass!

seriously, confront the guy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderX

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:29 AM

kick his ass seabass!

seriously, confront the guy.

I'm trying to, he's not answering his phone. I may have to make a visit it his house.

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:30 AM

So the seller has no responsibility to accurately represent the item sold? Interesting ethos. Please don't try that in California, open a business, or run for public office.

The bike was offered as an '09, not an '09 with older parts on it, and/or some of the modern features an '09 came with removed. Presenting it as an '09 carries an expectation with which the bike did not conform.

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:31 AM

I may have to make a visit it his house.

Take two witnesses with you. Don't let them say or do anything, just listen.

• Yamiryder

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:34 AM

I would definitely talk to the guy, but if you already bought the bike the way it is, the PO really has no responsibility of putting the original parts back on the bike. I'm not saying it's your fault, but being that you bought the bike, it's your responsibility to know what you're buying. The different lettering on the wheels should have raised a red flag, but it's too late for that. Anyway, I hope everything works out for you and best of luck.:thumbsup:

• nevada

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:56 AM

I asked the owner if anything had been messed with and he said no, it's all factory stock except the exhaust, and fuel screw.

well, there you go.

So the seller has no responsibility to accurately represent the item sold? Interesting ethos. Please don't try that in California, open a business, or run for public office.

The bike was offered as an '09, not an '09 with older parts on it, and/or some of the modern features an '09 came with removed. Presenting it as an '09 carries an expectation with which the bike did not conform.

sorry, but again it was a USED bike.
the buyer had the opportunity to LOOK at it before purchasing. its ATLEAST as much his fault as it is the sellers.

im not saying i agree with what the seller did. its shady, and i would never do it.
but its ALWAYS up to the buyer to know what hes getting before handing the cash over.

I would definitely talk to the guy, but if you already bought the bike the way it is, the PO really has no responsibility of putting the original parts back on the bike. I'm not saying it's your fault, but being that you bought the bike, it's your responsibility to know what you're buying. The different lettering on the wheels should have raised a red flag, but it's too late for that. Anyway, I hope everything works out for you and best of luck.:thumbsup:

pretty much this.

• schrode

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:57 AM

Take two witnesses with you. Don't let them say or do anything, just listen.

this^^. stay calm also. breathe grasshopper.

• mjv42085

Posted April 27, 2011 - 09:05 AM

While looking at the bikes I noticed his friends 08 had a red lettered Excel wheel on the front and a blue lettered Excel on the rear, and the opposite on the 09 I was buying. I didn't think much of it at the time.

Ok seriously that should have threw a red flag right there, how could you just not think about it much at the time? :thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted April 27, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Ok seriously that should have threw a red flag right there, how could you just not think about it much at the time?

What are you CSI?

The poor guy got beat here. I don't know what his recourse is going to be.

• DEMI

Posted April 27, 2011 - 09:46 AM

What does your written receipt say? Guy sounds shady, but you may be SOL. Good luck.

• Steel Panther

Posted April 27, 2011 - 11:13 AM

the differences between the 08 and 09 are very minimal and you probably won't notice them. The 09 swingarm kept the same geometry but they were able to save a few pounds of unsprung weight with the new design. Also, you don't have to pop out the caps to get to the linkage bolts. It is very shady and he is obviously lying to you about not changing the parts. Yes you should have noticed it before you bought it but that still doesnt mean you are at fault. Take greys advice and visit him with some witnesses, im sure if you really wanted to you could take him to court but that usually costs more than its worth. If anything you should try to get on judge judy or peoples court if you act dumb enough!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.