FMF Q4 or Powercore 4???

27 replies to this topic
  • ZachyDfmx

Posted April 26, 2011 - 05:01 PM

I have a 2003 Honda 450r, and I use it for fmx only. I tried to order a Powercore 4 today but the told me over the phone they wouldnt have them in stock until the end of May, (I cant wait that long) so they talked me into buying the Q4 for my bike because it was the only other option for my bike, being that its an older model.

Now Im worried because I did some research and found that the only difference between the pipe is that its supposed to be quiet. I dont want a quiet pipe! When I ride fmx shows (fairs, indoor events etc) the loud exhaust revs mid trick is what really put a cherry on top of your performance, plus I just do not want a "Trail Bike Pipe"

On the phone they advised me to just remove the spark arrestor and it will be very similar to the Powercore 4, is this true? And are there any other differences in the pipe I should know about? I really wish they wouldve had the Powercore 4....

• woods-rider

Posted April 26, 2011 - 05:08 PM

Are you stuck on FMF? There are some very nice pipes out there made by procircuit, White Bros, Yosh, etc.

• ZachyDfmx

Posted April 26, 2011 - 05:49 PM

Well 3 reasons:

1. I already have a FMF head pipe so Id like to stick with FMF for that reason

2. Pro Circuit, Yosh etc are wayy too expensive. 500 for a slip on is just ridiculous

3. I have a contract with FMF for 2011 and I get a large percent off of there retail price so they will be cheaper no matter what

• wags450

Posted April 27, 2011 - 01:42 PM

From the little I know about the two I believe that the major sound deadening is found in the spark arrestor. It would be very close if you take it out.

• 707drz

Posted April 27, 2011 - 01:53 PM

Probably a little more packing and the Q I believe comes with a sparky and quiet insert. If you take it out I'm sure you would only notice a few Db

• ZachyDfmx

Posted April 27, 2011 - 01:59 PM

How do I take out the spark and quieter thing or whatever? isnt it just an alan wrench on the back for the spark arrestor? but how do I take out the quiet insert?

• wags450

Posted April 27, 2011 - 02:12 PM

Same way its basically 1 piece

• Swede73

Posted April 27, 2011 - 10:58 PM

How do I take out the spark and quieter thing or whatever? isnt it just an alan wrench on the back for the spark arrestor? but how do I take out the quiet insert?

Yes just an Allen screw and pull out the insert and yes you will notice a big difference in sound. If for some reason it's too loud with it removed you can cut the insert tube down a little at a time and put it back in to get to the sound level you want. It's a great muffler, you'll like it

• ZachyDfmx

Posted April 28, 2011 - 04:04 AM

Okay sweeeet, thanks!

• Chas_M

Posted April 28, 2011 - 06:41 AM

The Q4 has a built-in non-removable spark arrestor while the Powercore 4 has a removable screen type.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dgcars

Posted April 28, 2011 - 07:16 AM

The 2 are just not the same & you cannot make them the same either. You can put a quiet insert into a PC to make it quieter. The Q4 is just a different pipe.

• ZachyDfmx

Posted April 29, 2011 - 04:07 AM

Hey Chas_M, hate to call you out on it but I think you might be wrong brutha, found in the details it specifically says it can be removed:

http://www.fmfracing...Products/MX/380

but thanks for the contribution man!

• dgcars

Posted April 29, 2011 - 06:11 AM

Hey Chas_M, hate to call you out on it but I think you might be wrong brutha, found in the details it specifically says it can be removed:

Removing the 'sparky' will do very little to increase the noise, if that is what you were hoping for.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 29, 2011 - 06:21 AM

Dgcars is right, removing the spark arrestor will do nothing at all for sound or performance. The Q4 is much quieter, bigger overall and will feel like it makes less power. But that feeling will be all in your head because the bike is quiet. Loud pipes give you a false feeling of more power.
Why didn't you just order from somewhere else? There are hundreds of places to get a fmf pipe from.....

• Yamaryder29

Posted April 29, 2011 - 07:20 AM

I would order the powercore and just be patient. i have a powercore and love it because I basically can run it at three differant levels. With no spark arrestor, with a spark arrestor, or with the quit insert, which basically makes it a Q pipe.

• Chas_M

Posted April 29, 2011 - 07:48 AM

I see that in the description; that's a new one on me. When I looked at a Q4 exhaust at Cycle Gear, it appeared to me that the SA was not removable.

• dgcars

Posted April 29, 2011 - 08:29 AM

I would order the powercore and just be patient. i have a powercore and love it because I basically can run it at three differant levels. With no spark arrestor, with a spark arrestor, or with the quit insert, which basically makes it a Q pipe.

+1

Dgcars is right, removing the spark arrestor will do nothing at all for sound or performance. The Q4 is much quieter, bigger overall and will feel like it makes less power. But that feeling will be all in your head because the bike is quiet. Loud pipes give you a false feeling of more power.
Why didn't you just order from somewhere else? There are hundreds of places to get a fmf pipe from.....

First pic is the Q4, second is the PC Ti. Different ??

Posted Image
Posted Image

• WRF Woods Weapon

Posted April 29, 2011 - 08:38 AM

FMF Powercore the #1 choice for all the good reasons!!!

• Jaketinaboxer

Posted April 29, 2011 - 08:42 AM

If they would fit i have a powercore on my bike and its too loud for me, i'll trade ya.

• Swede73

Posted April 29, 2011 - 12:32 PM

I have a Q4 on my bike and yes you can remove the SA. I have done it several times. The SA is also the insert tube and SA is a cone wire mesh inside of it. With it removed it is louder!!! I trimmed about an inch off of the insert and it was louder. YES THE Q4 HAS A REMOVABLE SA/INSERT!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.