Wideband for 2-stroke tuning??

1 reply to this topic
  • Soul Man

Posted April 26, 2011 - 09:13 AM

I know the oil will shorten sensor life. I want to hook one up just to get jetting set and then remove the sensor.

Anyone do it on 2-strokes?
How long will the sensor last (enough to tune 3-4 bikes? of just doing test runs)?
Where to put sensor: in expansion chamber? Pipe leading to muffler? (have spark arrestors, so sticking a long tube in the muffler won't work).

If it would work, is my assumption correct in that you would:
Ride at steady 1/4 throttle to determine pilot
Ride at steady 1/2 throttle to determine needle
Ride at WOT to determine main jet?

Spoke to a guy at Daytona Sensors, he said sensor would last in the "tens of hours" which should be plenty to sort out a few bikes, but he didn't really have any real info on 2-stroke tuning.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted April 26, 2011 - 12:45 PM

Before the sensor is installed to test, have the bike fully heated, remove the bung, insert the sensor and get your numbers. A sensor will last about five hours of run time.

Pilot is idle
Needle is at 0 to 1/8, 1/8 to 1/4, 1/4 to 3/8... up to 7/8
Main is WOT

Do it on a dyno. If you try to do it by riding, you will kill a sensor doing one bike. You have to do your tests on an incline, in fourth gear and it must be repeatable.

There are a few good threads in this forum that talk about widebands and 2S. Do a search.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.