Mobil 1 4T 10W40 Oil Analysis

17 replies to this topic
  • SXP

Posted April 25, 2011 - 05:28 PM

I recently returned from an eight day trip to Utah (Moab) and Arizona (Prescott Valley and Wickenburg) after 643 miles of great off-road trail riding and occasional highway drones at sustained 65-70 mph to connect trails or return to our hotel. I've been a lifelong dino Rotella 15W40 user upto this point which I usually run for 200-300 miles depending on abuse. I decided to try a M/C specific oil for this trip in order to minimize oil changes. My intent was to change the oil after 300 miles, but got lazy and never did. I added exactly 1 quart of Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 ($10 from Autozone) at the begining of the trip and drained the oil when I got home after 643 miles of use. Anyway, here are the details of the oil analysis on the used sample ($25) along with a new/unused sample (another $25) for comparison, and I ponied up an additional $10 for a TBN analysis while I was at it. Total cost was $60.

Bike: 07 WR450
Scotts Stainless Steel Oil Filter
Odo/Hours at begining of trip: 3680 miles/196.5 hours
Odo/Hours at end of trip: 4323 mile/228.2 hours
Miles/Hours traveled on oil: [COLOR="Red"]643 miles/31.7 hours[/COLOR]
Air filter (OEM w/Maxima FFT) changed at ~300 miles with TwinAir w/Maxima FFT

The oil held up really well in terms of viscosity and additives. Should have changed the air filter more often as the second leg of the trip was dusty (following too closely). I'm totally impressed with Mobil 1.

If anyone would like a copy of the report PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Posted Image

• carlt828

Posted April 25, 2011 - 06:50 PM

PM sent.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 25, 2011 - 07:24 PM

I recently returned from an eight day trip to Utah (Moab) and Arizona (Prescott Valley and Wickenburg) after 643 miles of great off-road trail riding and occasional highway drones at sustained 65-70 mph to connect trails or return to our hotel. I've been a lifelong dino Rotella 15W40 user upto this point which I usually run for 200-300 miles depending on abuse. I decided to try a M/C specific oil for this trip in order to minimize oil changes. My intent was to change the oil after 300 miles, but got lazy and never did. I added exactly 1 quart of Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 ($10 from Autozone) at the begining of the trip and drained the oil when I got home after 643 miles of use. Anyway, here are the details of the oil analysis on the used sample ($25) along with a new/unused sample (another $25) for comparison, and I ponied up an additional $10 for a TBN analysis while I was at it. Total cost was $60.

Bike: 07 WR450
Scotts Stainless Steel Oil Filter
Odo/Hours at begining of trip: 3680 miles/196.5 hours
Odo/Hours at end of trip: 4323 mile/228.2 hours
Miles/Hours traveled on oil: [COLOR="Red"]643 miles/31.7 hours[/COLOR]
Air filter (OEM w/Maxima FFT) changed at ~300 miles with TwinAir w/Maxima FFT

The oil held up really well in terms of viscosity and additives. Should have changed the air filter more often as the second leg of the trip was dusty (following too closely). I'm totally impressed with Mobil 1.

If anyone would like a copy of the report PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Posted Image

Good to know! I switched to this about two 500+ mile rides ago and I was blown away at how well it still shifted compared to only a couple hundred miles with Rotella.

BTW...just post the darn file :thumbsup:

• SXP

Posted April 25, 2011 - 07:29 PM

BTW...just post the darn file :thumbsup:

How do I do that? I was looking around for a way to add an attachment but came up blank. So, enlighten me.

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2011 - 08:06 PM

Elevated iron and aluminum are not unusual in YZF/WRF engines. Gear boxes shed iron with the gleeful abandon of a youthful stripper, and most of the aluminum is from the clutch. Some of the silicon is likely to be from the Nikasil bore plating, but not that much.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T and V-Twin are excellent oils. I've said that for a long time, and the only reason I don't use them any more is because I use Amsoil MCF/MCV instead. The two are on a par with each other, and Amsoil is cheaper and more convenient.

• SledParty

Posted April 25, 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hey thanks for this post, I just bought a 99 YZ400 and am using the same oil. I wated 6 rides maybe about 20hrs total riding and was horrified when I changed the oil. It came out dark gray and very thin! Although, the oil that was in the bike came out about the same way this was the first oil change I did since I bought the bike so I'm hoping some of the old mixed with the new and the rest of the color was from the synthetic cleaning the engine.

Oriely auto parts has through tomorrow 4/26/11 Mobile 1 10/40 and 20/50 RT-4 oils on sale for $7.99 a quart. I bought the last 5 the one by my house had today and ordered another case (prepaid he gave me the sale price) I'm planning to do changes every 3 rides for now which will be around 10-12 hrs ride time.

I live in thick woods, rocky , rough, clutch clutch riding that opens into high speed logging roads. The bike is put through it's paces on every ride, it's never wide open or choked down nice mix of just about everything. I try to never let it idle too long to prevent excesive heat but I'm a throttle junky!

Thanks again for sharing! :thumbsup:

• MANIAC998

Posted April 26, 2011 - 04:10 AM

Thanks a ton! Very useful information. I would love to do this very test on my '06. Can you give me the information needed, such as who/where to send the oil too? I'd really appreciate it! Maniac

• SXP

Posted April 26, 2011 - 05:38 AM

Thanks a ton! Very useful information. I would love to do this very test on my '06. Can you give me the information needed, such as who/where to send the oil too? I'd really appreciate it! Maniac

Blackstone Labs: http://www.blackston...e-test-kits.php

Go to link, enter your info, and then wait for your free test kit (about 2-3 days). Then just follow the instruction that come with the kit. They usually run the sample the day they receive it and email you the results the same day.

• SXP

Posted April 26, 2011 - 05:48 AM

So, based on these results, and more diligent air filter changes, I'm thinking ~1000 miles/50 hour oil change intervals are doable:eek: Now, granted I'm easy on the motor and and usually short-shift (this bike has never intentionally seen the rev limiter :thumbsup:), but nonetheless, the Mobil 1 results are pretty damn impressive. What do you guys think?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2011 - 07:14 AM

I don't think I'd push it that far with the Al and Fe numbers you see in these bikes unless you can find a way to improve the filtration. Street miles, maybe, but the more off-road you throw in, the more you'll dump metal in the oil. Oils like M1 R4T and Amsoil MCF are at a level of durability where the reason to change at a certain point is no longer a fault with the oil itself, but a matter of excessive contamination.

A very important point regarding oil sampling:

Be absolutely sure that the last run on the engine before the sample is taken runs the engine at operating temps for at least 15-20 minutes, and that you do not leave the gas on, nor start it again until the sample is drained. Cold starting dumps fuel into the oil, and the slightest bit of excess gas can lower the viscosity numbers considerably.

The sample should be taken from the "tank" drain, and not the crankcase sump.

• SXP

Posted April 26, 2011 - 07:33 AM

I don't think I'd push it that far with the Al and Fe numbers you see in these bikes unless you can find a way to improve the filtration. Street miles, maybe, but the more off-road you throw in, the more you'll dump metal in the oil. Oils like M1 R4T and Amsoil MCF are at a level of durability where the reason to change at a certain point is no longer a fault with the oil itself, but a matter of excessive contamination.

A very important point regarding oil sampling:

Be absolutely sure that the last run on the engine before the sample is taken runs the engine at operating temps for at least 15-20 minutes, and that you do not leave the gas on, nor start it again until the sample is drained. Cold starting dumps fuel into the oil, and the slightest bit of excess gas can lower the viscosity numbers considerably.

The sample should be taken from the "tank" drain, and not the crankcase sump.

Thanks Gray. My 1000 miles/50 Hour question was mostly rhetorical as I just wouldn't be comfortable running the oil that long for the very reason you stated - contamination. I have never exceeded 300 miles on an oil change in the past, and it weighed on my mind during this trip watching the miles/hours rack up to what it did. The oil analysis results sure were a pleasant surprise at the end though. It looks like I got the bike up to temp before draining/sampling as the fuel amount in the oil is negligible. Also, the sample I took came from the left side drain plug - I'm assuming that was from the "tank", yes?

• ncampion

Posted April 26, 2011 - 08:37 AM

I've always wondered if a "paper" type oil filter would take out the AL and Fe particles better than the scareen type filters. Seems like the siz of the particles would just go through the screens.

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2011 - 08:56 AM

I've always wondered if a "paper" type oil filter would take out the AL and Fe particles better than the scareen type filters. Seems like the siz of the particles would just go through the screens.

It depends on the size of the particles, doesn't it? Read this:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

• GCannon

Posted April 26, 2011 - 09:20 AM

Interesting!

I changed to Mobil 1 racing 4T about a year and a half ago.
Based on this study provided by Grayracer (thanks):http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

The fact that the Royal Purple oil I was using kept increasing in price to $14.95 per quart which just made me mad.

Then I noticed that the Mobil 1 Racing 4T motorcycle oil was selling for $9.95 per quart. if you read the study above you will find that the Mobil 1 actually performs better that the more expensive Royal Purple particularly in Shear tests.

I have yet to find Amsoil distributed locally for a good price but i have been happy with the Mobil 1 which i can obtain easily for a good price.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2011 - 09:48 AM

I have yet to find Amsoil distributed locally for a good price but i have been happy with the Mobil 1 which i can obtain easily for a good price.:thumbsup:

Finding it locally is not the way to go. Sign up as a preferred customer at their web site and they'll give you about 30% off retail on oil (and NGK plugs, Twin-Air filters, and some other stuff), and then they'll ship it to you. If you need a referral number to sign up, PM me. There's a $20 annual fee for it, but you'll break even at the 11th quart of MCF you buy, including the shipping.

Do the math. If you use enough of it, it pencils out in your favor.

• ncampion

Posted April 26, 2011 - 05:21 PM

It depends on the size of the particles, doesn't it? Read this:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

Good information, thanks. There's also tons of info on oil filtration available on various websites. Found some interesting info on a Purolator site that talked about paper filters and how they actually filter. They don't work like a screen filter at all and rely on the relative density of the particles to be filtered compared to the denisty of oil.

It said in part" Here’s a surprise: the filtering media does not actually filter. Yup, that’s right. Remember the oil bath air cleaners of the ’40s and ’50s? If you’re old enough to remember them, you may or may not be aware that they worked by forcing incoming air to follow an “S”-shaped route past a trough of engine oil. The concept was, the air could easily follow the turns, while the heavier particles of dirt and debris couldn’t make the turn, and momentum would carry the grit straight into the oil, where it was held hostage until someone dumped the dirty oil and replenished it.
Believe it or not, that’s actually how modern oil filters work. The filtering media does not act like a screen, but rather traps contaminants that cannot change direction easily."

This gives the filter the ability to capture partiles much smaller than their pore size.

Do we know what particle size we are dealing with? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this is interesting stuff.

• DerHossMeister

Posted April 26, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Interesting!

I changed to Mobil 1 racing 4T about a year and a half ago.
Based on this study provided by Grayracer (thanks):http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

The fact that the Royal Purple oil I was using kept increasing in price to $14.95 per quart which just made me mad.

Then I noticed that the Mobil 1 Racing 4T motorcycle oil was selling for $9.95 per quart. if you read the study above you will find that the Mobil 1 actually performs better that the more expensive Royal Purple particularly in Shear tests.

You'll have to color me incredulous about that test, as it was paid for by Amsoil. If that testing were done and paid for at the behest of a totally neutral third-party, I'd tend to give their results more credence. Still, it makes for interesting reading.

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2011 - 08:26 PM

You'll have to color me incredulous about that test, as it was paid for by Amsoil. If that testing were done and paid for at the behest of a totally neutral third-party, I'd tend to give their results more credence. Still, it makes for interesting reading.

Always someone who says that, in spite of the fact that the independent test lab, with it's own reputation for credibility to protect, certified as to the accuracy of the information presented in it. That's like saying that since I paid Blackstone for my UOA, it isn't believable. A bit too cynical for me, be keep that attitude handy for the next election.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.