08 yz 450 timing...

54 replies to this topic
  • sledtrash

Posted May 01, 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hey man sorry to hear that. I was going to say I found a post by gray regarding the timing.

http://www.thumperta...405#post3150405

Good luck and let us hear back when you get it figured out.

• FLFX4

Posted May 02, 2011 - 11:29 AM

Sledtrash thank you for looking that up for me! Labor at my local dealer is $90 an hour...back to doing it myself! Thats not in my college sized budget! HA!

• KJK_JR

Posted May 02, 2011 - 12:51 PM

So are you still having an issue with timing?

• sledtrash

Posted May 02, 2011 - 07:39 PM

So is the timing still staying where it is supposed to be?
Just the oil leak now?
And not a problem

• FLFX4

Posted May 03, 2011 - 08:12 AM

I haven't had a chance to take it apart again to check the timing. But I did pop the top off the radiator to check the coolant level...there was a lot of pressure build-up and I could not see the coolant level. When the bike was running I did not see the any leaks. Where could it be going?

• KJK_JR

Posted May 03, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Check your oil. If your oil is a white/milky color you probably have a bad head gasket. Also, check the hole on the side of the head. If its leaking you need to replace the water pump oil seals.

• sledtrash

Posted May 03, 2011 - 09:03 AM

I haven't had a chance to take it apart again to check the timing. But I did pop the top off the radiator to check the coolant level...there was a lot of pressure build-up and I could not see the coolant level. When the bike was running I did not see the any leaks. Where could it be going?

Are you sure that you got it to everywhere that it was supposed to go to? I can put antifreeze in mine for ten mins before it fill's all the little nook's and crannies that it needs to. That's without running. Like he said do a oil check procedure and see what color the oil is. check all your connections on hoses. look for puddles, and are you sure that's oil coming out of your exhaust?? not antifreeze?

If all else fails use one of the bodies senses: Taste smell touch so on (I recommend tasting great stuff there!! jk :confused: ) if it is antifreeze it could be black from coming out of the dirty exhaust but it won't have the texture of oil. so get some on your finger and see if you think it's oil or antifreeze.

Give more details to help out here :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FLFX4

Posted May 04, 2011 - 12:48 PM

Well the timing is good! Now I just have to figure out where the coolant is going...i'm pretty sure its a head gasket, or possibly the cam cover gasket..either way both are getting replaced...should back up and running in no time! thanks again for all the advice and encouragement!

• KJK_JR

Posted May 04, 2011 - 12:58 PM

A (Cam) Valve cover gasket leak will not result in coolant lost. Check the color of the oil before you start replacing gaskets.

• FLFX4

Posted May 04, 2011 - 01:19 PM

when I drained it before the last timing adjustment it did look like it had a lighter tint to it, but did not look like there was any collant in it...

• sledtrash

Posted May 04, 2011 - 05:19 PM

A (Cam) Valve cover gasket leak will not result in coolant lost. Check the color of the oil before you start replacing gaskets.

Agree'd and also check and make sure you have it full in the first place.... You could have had a air lock in the system.

• FLFX4

Posted May 06, 2011 - 05:32 PM

Definitely a head gasket, it was one of the tusk brand. I HOPE that is all it is, going to try that and then go from there. I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks again!

• KJK_JR

Posted May 07, 2011 - 04:25 PM

Make sure you use oem gaskets for the topend.

• FLFX4

Posted May 07, 2011 - 05:18 PM

will do! a lot of the coating came off the TUSK brand gasket I took off. wouldn't recommend them, even for $20.

• Reedus

Posted May 15, 2011 - 05:35 AM

Here is my theory of where things went south on you concerning the timing and tight chain. You weren't letting the slack off the timing chain by turning it with a small screw driver, you were removing it. The problem you would run into doing it that way is that you can remove the tensioner from the cylinder with no problems without backing it off first with the small screwdriver, but when you reinstall the tensioner on the cylinder, you MUST back it off first with the screw driver and have someway of holding it backed off until you can tighten it to the cylinder. By not doing this, which is what I assumed happened, you used the two 8mm cam tensioner bolts to draw the tensioner to the cylinder because you couldn't manually force it flush with the cylinder without first backing it off. In a sense, you most likely ruined your tensioner. Whether or not it is the cause of your timing issues is still debateable

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.