96 decibels ???

13 replies to this topic
  • ChillyKTM

Posted April 25, 2011 - 03:27 PM

Anyone know if my STOCK 2011 yz450 meets that sound requirement ? Wana do some events that require that number (96 db ) on their sound tests

• 92db

Posted April 25, 2011 - 04:32 PM

AMA Amateur sound levels are 94 db for 2011. They gave the OEMs almost three years notice so they could incorporate this new sound level into their design cycle.

You should pass 96 db easily as should the majority of 2011 bikes.

• bikerdude11

Posted April 25, 2011 - 04:39 PM

From MX Action:

(4) Sound. The 2011 Yamaha YZ450F produced an AMA-legal 94.5 dB. It did not pass the FIM’s two-meter-max test, but no Japanese-manufacturered 450 has in 2011. It blew 117.4 dB when wide open.

• yz4ck

Posted May 15, 2011 - 08:01 PM

I have a 426 that I want a green sticker for
wondering if packing it myself (it does need it anyway) or just buying a whole new pipe with the spark arrester and be done with it !

• YamahaDoc

Posted May 15, 2011 - 10:29 PM

I have a 426 that I want a green sticker for
wondering if packing it myself (it does need it anyway) or just buying a whole new pipe with the spark arrester and be done with it !

What kind of "green sticker" are you talking about?

As for a 426 passing a test... I have an HMF comp series with three inserts wide open closed a little and quiet core... My bike only passed with the quiet core installed, and lets just say that was considerable loss in power.

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2011 - 08:47 AM

Unless something has changed very recently, the YZ426 will get a green sticker just by registering it as an ORV. There is no sound test.

Certain trail areas, however, do have additional requirements regarding noise, and most of those kinds of managed areas in California require spark arrestors. The safest bet is something on the order of a Q4 muffler.

• YamahaDoc

Posted May 16, 2011 - 09:44 AM

Unless something has changed very recently, the YZ426 will get a green sticker just by registering it as an ORV. There is no sound test.

Certain trail areas, however, do have additional requirements regarding noise, and most of those kinds of managed areas in California require spark arrestors. The safest bet is something on the order of a Q4 muffler.

+1 Thats what I was getting at. Mine is greeeeen!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted May 16, 2011 - 09:46 AM

On a somewhat related note the SX teams get their db tested with a very temporary slip-on unit (that is not even bolted on) just to pass sound testing. They then immediately go back to the pit and put on their much louder better performing lighter silencer. The AMA turns a deaf ear to this process.

• MrBlahh

Posted May 16, 2011 - 10:24 AM

deaf ear lol

117 is seriously loud though, I wear hearing aids and some of the exhausts drive me crazy, quads seem to be worse around here, I had to wear earplugs at the atlanta supercross this year

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:39 AM

I wear hearing aids and some of the exhausts drive me crazy, ...

See if your vendor can crank down the compression/clipping on those. Wearing mine is no problem in loud environments. They won't pass any more than a set level of output.

• MrBlahh

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:43 AM

I pull them out when I ride or I'm around bikes, the aids are not what bother me

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hmm. I ride with mine specifically for the noise limiting capabilities they have, along with the ability to hear semi-normally when called for.

• MrBlahh

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:48 AM

everyone I ride with knows to yell at me

• 92db

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:02 PM

On a somewhat related note the SX teams get their db tested with a very temporary slip-on unit (that is not even bolted on) just to pass sound testing. They then immediately go back to the pit and put on their much louder better performing lighter silencer. The AMA turns a deaf ear to this process.

I don't agree with you on the deaf ear deal. The AMA puts identifying marks after they test the muffler on the end cap. If racers get caught with a can that hasn't been through sound there will be hell to pay.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.