Which paddle tire and why?

13 replies to this topic
  • SledParty

Posted April 25, 2011 - 03:20 PM

I'm completely new to sand riding, done it a few times in Eastern WA but a paddle was a bit overkill since the sand was hard(er) Heading to moses lake and oregon in the coming weeks and I heard a paddle tire is a MUST in oregon cause of the fine, ultra light sand conditions there.

So... I'm looking at tires..

What do I get? I'm aggressive on the throttle and I see there are paddle tires with 6-10 paddles. This is confusing to me. Also width and blah blah blah.

I'm running a 99 YZ400F :thumbsup:

• blueberg17

Posted April 26, 2011 - 05:59 AM

8 paddle. 110/80-19 or 100/80-18 depending on what size rim your 400 has.

• humpness

Posted April 26, 2011 - 07:31 AM

I was reading alot about people recommending an 8 paddle for 450s. I arrived in Florence and 10 paddle was the paddle to get suggested by the bike shop there. I am not sure of the difference of power between the 400 and 450. the 10 got me around awesome but I am unsure of the 400(not too familiar).

You might have to add a link. I just barely cleared the swingarm but I destroyed the little mud flap thingy. I was close to the middle on the axle blocks.

• SledParty

Posted April 26, 2011 - 10:25 AM

@EOZYF I never even thought about clearance so thanks for posting that, definitly something to consider. I'm assuming the more paddles the more the bike has to work to turn the tire? Like putting 33's on a pickup geared for 235/75/15 all season radials.

I've found a 8 paddle I think I'm gonna snag today. I dont know how much more power the 450 puts out either but my bike rips.

Thanks for the replies it helps :-)

• SEOINAGE

Posted April 26, 2011 - 12:34 PM

http://www.motorcycl...&WT.MC_ID=10010

Turbo paddle all the way. You can side hill sand mountain with the thing on. I ran an 8 paddle on my 250 two stroke and it was nice, don't think they make a 9 paddle for that tire, but my friend had a home made 9 paddle on his 450 and it was awesome, 10 might be too much. Skat trak makes a paddle similar to the turbo paddle, but the ridge is in the center, which doesn't work as well as it being on the side.

• SledParty

Posted April 26, 2011 - 08:14 PM

I ended up buying a "Dune Hopper" 110-90 / 19 with 8 paddles. Nice tire I think it should work well.

Does anyone ever use the sand front tires?
http://www.motorcycl...Front-Tire.aspx

• YamahaDoc

Posted April 27, 2011 - 12:01 AM

I use A Turbo paddle in the rear and a sand rib in the front! (same one you posted)

Turbo: terrific all conditions (Hard/wet-or-Dry/Fluffy) Great for side hill riding holds good when going ridge to ridge!

Front: GREAT when its dry and fluffy I usually use the knobby on wet/hard trips I feel it "grips" better.

I dont just ride around looking for jumps though (dont know if you do) Im a ridge and trail guy!

This is what we do!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiverReaper

Posted May 16, 2011 - 05:05 PM

Skat-TRAK hooker is by far the best. And they're manufacturing process makes the lightest paddle available. Anything 250 and over can turn a 10 paddle. The only problem is you have to send a knobby to Skat-Trak and they'll build you a paddle from it. Coming from a guy who rides the Oregon dune 99% of the time nothing compares to a Skat-Trak. They've got several styles to choose from but I use the hooker. I think I'm gonna get an 11 or 12 paddle built here pretty quick.

• yz450fcranker

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:18 AM

try 8 paddles they do a good job

• glamisemt

Posted May 15, 2016 - 07:56 PM

Will a 110 90 19 have any clearance issues on a yz 400f?

• toten

Posted May 16, 2016 - 06:01 AM

No need to bump an ancient thread. It's typically better to start a new thread than to bump a 5 year old thread.

I imagine just about any paddle will have clearance issues if you try to run it all the way forward. 

• RockerYZWR

Posted May 16, 2016 - 03:30 PM

Paddle doesn't really gain you much over a fresh knobby.

Edited by RockerYZWR, May 16, 2016 - 03:31 PM.

• mclean211

Posted May 17, 2016 - 10:41 AM

I ride the dunes often here in Utah. I use an 8 paddle tire on my yz450f and I like it a lot. The 8 paddle doesn't bog down at all and it allows for better handling characteristics than the 10 paddle. Just my opinion...

• glamisemt

Posted June 10, 2016 - 02:06 PM

I just threw on a sand snake 110 90 19
It does plenty mostly on the low end and taking off. After third gear it's nearly the same

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.