Revalue Suspension ? Or Not To Revalue Suspension?

11 replies to this topic
  • basicblues

Posted August 15, 2003 - 03:16 PM

I will be installing a Racetech 5.8 on the rear and .48 on the front soon. I called Racetech and of course they recommend using their "Gold Valves" for the ultimate set up. I don't doubt for a minute that it would improve the overall suspension. I can't decide if a recreational rider would benefit completly from a revalve. I've noticed in other post that several have changed their rear spring, I am just wondering if anyone has revalved their bike. The cost of the revalve can be a bit pricey, there are several speciality tools necessary to avoid cartridge damage and the nitrogen would need to recharged. I turn all the wrenches on my bike and don't have a problem with the install process or cost. From your past experiences, what do you guys think? Revalve or Not?

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 15, 2003 - 04:16 PM

Stock valving is just fine for non racing type riding. If you go for the Gold valve package make sure you get the settings for your type of riding. Woods, Desert, MX etc.
If you want to do it yourself be patient and get all the necessary tools. I prefer to have Race tech work on my forks and I plan to ship them in the winter for an overhaul, new springs and valving. :)

• RunAnywhere

Posted August 16, 2003 - 12:38 PM

Got mine back from ESP a couple months ago. New shock spring and stock fork springs, but revalved everything. I don't think I'm any better than an agressive novice rider, but I'm tickled to death with my new suspension. I think I spent 390 or so. It seems like it was cheaper to have them do it than to get the parts from Race Tech. Oh yeah, you will be faster.

Chad at ESP: 1.818.951.9144

Tell him that Ryan from OK told you to call.

Good Luck.

Posted August 16, 2003 - 02:15 PM

My experience with the big WR is that the stock fork and shock valving is pretty darn good for off-road anything. I have installed gold valves myself in other bikes, all were mx'rs. The stock WR forks work better off-road than my other MX forks with the gold valves. Gold valves main appeal is that they flow more oil than stock valves through the shim stack rather than the piston. I suspect the difference is that the WR valve body is already designed to flow more oil under high speed impacts. It has a reduced diameter relief machined into it around the base just below the valve stack itself - as opposed to the yz valve stack base which does not. Unless you cannot get the kind of feel you want from adjusting the clickers, I would save the money. These things are way adjustable right out of the box.

• Bill

Posted August 16, 2003 - 03:19 PM

It's been a while since I've said this so........ suspension work, should be everyones number one mod for speed. A quality revalve will always work far better than stock. Giving you more control, allowing you to be smoother, ride for longer periods of time due to less fatigue and most of all safer.

Hey, you asked :D

Bill :)

• HaremScarem

Posted August 17, 2003 - 12:39 PM

I agree with Bill.
I just changed to a 5.8 rear and .50 front from MX-Tech and the difference is amazing. The bike feels like it's riding on clouds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msgbean

Posted August 17, 2003 - 04:56 PM

Basic, I did mine just two days ago and you can do it without any of the special tools. The only one I did use was a home-made cartidge holding tool made out of a piece of PVC pipe. If you have an impact wrench you wont even need that. When I was done the dealer filled er up with nitrogen for free. Took him all of 30 seconds. Got the valves from for $260 front and back with free shipping.

• comp182

Posted August 18, 2003 - 04:35 AM

Basicblues, I bought the race tech valves and did this work myself. The Valves come with a vidio wich is pretty good as far as showing you what to do. As far as the tools you need unless you are going to put new seals in you really don't need alot of special tools. The only thing that you really have to have is a set of dial calipers that read in milimeters for measureing shims for your shim stack. In stead of buying the tool to set your oil level I just used the dial calipers as a "dip stick" to set my oil level. Other than the seal driver you realy don't need any of those other tools. Go to Motoman's page and he will show you how to make a seal driver and a cartrige holder. Do it your self. The way way I fiure it is that if I learn to do it my self and have to buy even $200 worth of tools but can do it my self every year that the tools would pay for them self the first year.

However I am a 240 rider and that is why I decided to revalve my suspension. To be honest I put a larger 5.6 sping on the back and that was more help than the revalve. so if you way more than 210 you may want to get a heaver rear spring first.

• Idaho450

Posted March 13, 2008 - 08:40 PM

So, if you don't mind my askin' much do you guys weigh that went to the 5.8 spring? I'm about 205 and don't know if I should go 5.6 or 5.8. The calculators say 5.6.

• dazzabb

Posted March 13, 2008 - 09:55 PM

In my case I went for a revalve because of the harsh fork action at low speeds which could not be tuned out with the clickers, springs or oil.
Sure I improved it messing with clickers, oil height, lower spring rating etc. but I was really only working on the symptons not the disease.

On the WR it is the standard valves and shim pattern (valving) that cause the harshness and "deflecting" problems.

The standard valves are really 'high flow' and as such they need a really heavy shim pattern to stop the forks blowing through the stroke.

The problem with that is the fork valving will not open until the bike hits a fairly big bump so it just deflects of all the small stuff at low speed like rocks and roots.

IMO on the 05 WR450 no amount of tuning will give the same quality ride as a re-valve.

I used Pro-Action and was not dissapointed.

• thumper tom

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:13 AM

Just do it , you wont be disapointed, it really makes a difference all areas of handling and fatigue and comfort,

• sausage boy

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:35 AM

It's been a while since I've said this so........ suspension work, should be everyones number one mod for speed. A quality revalve will always work far better than stock. Giving you more control, allowing you to be smoother, ride for longer periods of time due to less fatigue and most of all safer.

Hey, you asked :ride:

Bill :D

just like Bill said, if your going to spend any money on your bike suspension should be done first, the stock WR suspension only works O.K if your weight is between 65-80kg :eek: i had mine revalved by Factory Connection they worked great. :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.