Oil drain from oil filter cover

15 replies to this topic
  • WRLuisSa

Posted April 24, 2011 - 11:12 PM

Hi,

I have an 05 WR450 and the other day I did the usual maintenance (oil change, oil filter change and spark plug).
Everything seemed to go fine but as I was riding the other day I noticed a really small amount of oil draining (not dripping) from the bottom of the oil filter cover. I did wipe it out and thought that it could have been from oil that was not completely cleaned from oil filter cover. I continued riding and nothing happened after wiping it.
The next day, I used the bike again and exactly the same happened.
Thus, now I have been using the bike for a couple of days and the same problem persists.

Furthermore, I have not seen any oil coming out from the bolts that tighten the oil filter cover and as far as I know they are not stripped (I might be wrong as I am a newbie on this, but the bolts still tighten properly).

I know that the issue might also be from the o-rings but did not buy a new set of o-rings yet for the oil filter cover.

Meanwhile, I would like to know your opinion on this please. What do you suggest?

Thank you.
Regards.

• Justinyz250

Posted April 25, 2011 - 12:37 AM

try some new o-rings. you might have some dirt or just a knicked edge

• WRLuisSa

Posted April 25, 2011 - 11:20 AM

Anymore opinions anyone??

Would it be safe to ride it like this until the next oil replacement? (As long as I keep an eye on the amount of oil in the engine)

• danfromnb

Posted April 25, 2011 - 06:11 PM

You more than likely have a piece of dirt behind an o ring or dropped one of the small ones that go around the bolts.

• mikewrf18

Posted April 26, 2011 - 09:52 PM

You more than likely have a piece of dirt behind an o ring or dropped one of the small ones that go around the bolts.

I definately think you are on the right track with this. O-Rings. It's easy to loose one/nick one if you are not paying attention. My friend lost one of his o-rings about 4 years ago, and still hasn't replaced it. He hasn't had any problems so far, but for the life of me I can't understand why he won't just go buy another one! :thumbsup: I would just replace all of them, and eliminate that possible cause. The manual recommends replacing them frequently anyways.

• WRLuisSa

Posted April 27, 2011 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for the help and advise everyone.

When I am about to replace the o-rings, do I have to drain all the oil from the engine or when I open the oil filter cover only the oil from the oil filter area will come out??
I am asking this because I just did an oil replacement, thus the oil in the engine is still "fresh".

• mikewrf18

Posted April 27, 2011 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for the help and advise everyone.

When I am about to replace the o-rings, do I have to drain all the oil from the engine or when I open the oil filter cover only the oil from the oil filter area will come out??
I am asking this because I just did an oil replacement, thus the oil in the engine is still "fresh".

You should only get oil from the filter housing area, if the bike hasn't been started in awhile. The rest of the oil should be resting in the crankcase. For a 5 minute job, you shouldn't loose much, then just recheck/refill as necessary.

• miweber929

Posted April 27, 2011 - 04:29 AM

Lay the bike over on the opposite side and you'll loose nothing. Or Bike the bullet and do another oil change of a quart. No need to change the filter.

Either way, do it and then you won't have to worry any longer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WRF Woods Weapon

Posted April 27, 2011 - 09:08 AM

Open the drain bolt at the bottom and place a clean container and drain all the oil from the bike and replace the O-ring, knicked or pinched, then reuse the drained oil. If you have the pesos you can do another oil change.

• WRLuisSa

Posted April 27, 2011 - 10:31 AM

I definately think you are on the right track with this. O-Rings. It's easy to loose one/nick one if you are not paying attention. My friend lost one of his o-rings about 4 years ago, and still hasn't replaced it. He hasn't had any problems so far, but for the life of me I can't understand why he won't just go buy another one! :thumbsup: I would just replace all of them, and eliminate that possible cause. The manual recommends replacing them frequently anyways.

If you lose one of the o-rings isn't it going to leak from the oil filter cover??
How come your friend did not have any problems so far? Doesn't his bike leak oil from there?

• danfromnb

Posted April 27, 2011 - 01:20 PM

If you lose one of the o-rings isn't it going to leak from the oil filter cover??
How come your friend did not have any problems so far? Doesn't his bike leak oil from there?

I lost an o ring the first time I changed my oil. It didn't leak for a while and then started to leak just a bit, I'd lose 50-75ml of oil riding all day. It's not rocket science it's just a $0.01 o ring, sometimes they leak, sometimes they don't.

Pop the cover off and have a look. There should be one large o ring and a small o ring around each bolt, I imagine it's a smaller one you lost. All three are the same size, just take one of the remaining one to your local hardware or automotive store and buy a pack of 10 or 50 or whatever and then you have spares for the next time you lose one. At the most you'll lose 100ml of oil, no need to drain it all, just top the bike off when your done. :thumbsup:

• 450wr03

Posted April 27, 2011 - 08:36 PM

When bolting the cover back on put a little grease on the o rings it will keep them in place until you get the cover back on plus the grease will keep the o rings from drying out

• mikewrf18

Posted April 27, 2011 - 09:33 PM

You would think so, but to my knowledge it hasn't leaked yet. If it does I haven't noticed it.

• JDLowrance

Posted April 28, 2011 - 07:22 AM

As a previous poster mentioned....lay the bike over on the LH side (place handlebar on bike stand) and pull the cover off. This is the way I do allod my oil filter changes. Saves cleaning up a big mess of oil running down the side of my motor.

John

• WRLuisSa

Posted April 28, 2011 - 09:35 PM

When bolting the cover back on put a little grease on the o rings it will keep them in place until you get the cover back on plus the grease will keep the o rings from drying out

Thanks a lot everyone for the input.

When I take the oil filter cover off, before putting it on again I usually put some engine oil on the o-rings so that they do not get dry.
Which one is actually better, putting grease (like bel-ray) on the o-rings or putting engine oil (15W50)?

• danfromnb

Posted April 29, 2011 - 08:20 AM

When I take the oil filter cover off, before putting it on again I usually put some engine oil on the o-rings so that they do not get dry.
Which one is actually better, putting grease (like bel-ray) on the o-rings or putting engine oil (15W50)?

Either one is perfectly fine. Dip a finger into your oil drain pan, that's all you'll need for all the o rings.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.