wr450 Kickstart

7 replies to this topic
  • res0tm5t

Posted April 24, 2011 - 08:35 PM

I own a wr450f 2004. Recently took a trip to the trials & my wifes battery went in her bike. So I installed my battery in her bike so so wouldn't be stranded. I taped my battery leads up & said I'll just kick mine. FAMOUS LAST WORDS! I can't believe how hard it is to get the wr450 to kick off. I kicked, kicked, kicked, kicked so much my damn leg was about to fall off. I ride with a few seasoned riders & they had to kickstart my bike for me. They said that for some reason my bike is VERY HARD to Kickstart.

ANY IDEAS? So I dont have to have a chaperone when I ride.

By the way put my battery back in so I could use the magic button on the last day. The bike starts just fine with the button.

• MANIAC998

Posted April 25, 2011 - 04:21 AM

Are you meaning to say, that your's doesn't kickstart easily? Or that it doesn't kick over very easily? Mine kicks over fairly easily. I do know that with the battery removed, they don't like to start because they need that voltage to the coil to provide a nice spark. Maniac

• miweber929

Posted April 25, 2011 - 05:02 AM

My 04 will not kickstart without a battery in it unlike what others have said in this forum. I've been kickstarting bikes for 30+ years so I'm pretty sure it's not me, but maybe it is. I haven't really had to without a battery so I gave up fairly quickly but it did not want to go without it.

Now, if it kicked hard, that's another story like Maniac mentioned above.

• res0tm5t

Posted April 30, 2011 - 12:13 PM

Ok maybe I am confused, when kickstarting a dirtbike why would the coil pack need voltage to start easier. For example my brother in law has a wr400 kickstart only and with just one kick he is off a running. He then trys to kickstart mine and he kicks,kicks,kicks,kicks and finally get lucky to start it. He too has kick started bike for many years and he says mine is so much harder to get started.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted April 30, 2011 - 04:25 PM

His 400 is designed to run w/o a battery, yours isn't. Not just the coil pack but the CDI as well needs a consistent 12 volts to work properly.

Don't overthink it, just put a good new battery in yours and ride.

Mike

• danfromnb

Posted May 01, 2011 - 08:33 AM

His 400 is designed to run w/o a battery, yours isn't. Not just the coil pack but the CDI as well needs a consistent 12 volts to work properly.

Don't overthink it, just put a good new battery in yours and ride.

Mike

Yup, they won't start easily at all if there is no battery.

• sledtrash

Posted May 01, 2011 - 10:36 AM

Bear with me but recently after chasing numerous might I say numerous problems down on my YZ with a WR wiring harness on it I've learned a lot. So here is my understanding

They need the reservoir for the voltage. If the battery is there but is dead the bike will still start hard but it will still start hard same thing with no battery. Thumpertalk member gdbarr1976 tried this out I believe. The ign system uses the battery as a reservoir to draw power from to start the bike without a battery you have to crank the bike over fast enough to get "juice" to the CDI then from the CDI to the ign coil.

The power to run everything goes through the regulator if you look at this: I will order the parts by their number 15: Stator 16 Regulator 20 IGN on off 9 Fuse 1 Headlight 22 Battery
Posted Image

Stator runs two coils one is a pickup coil whose soul purpose is to tell the CDI when to send spark to the ign coil. It doesn't give power it just tell's when to.
The pickup is the White and Red. The other two wires run from the big "main" coil that has two sides, one for charging and one for directly running lights via AC current before the reg (ie the green wire coming off of the Yellow stator wire) The Yellow and white wires then go into the reg which does it's job and sends the power out in the RED wire if you follow it's path their are several junctions and one goes to the IGN on off switch. And under that switch it's hooked to to the battery with the Br wire. This wire goes several places one of which is the CDI (not pictured). Then the CDI sends the power out to the IGN coil (not pictured).

Another understanding of mine is that it takes more AC w to match Dc watts

So when the bike's engine isn't running no power is coming out. Since there wasn't a battery there isn't any power to draw from. So when the bike it kicked over you've got to provide enough rotations of the engine to convert the power from AC to DC then power up the IGN system. So the slower the kick less likely you'll create enough power to do this. Kickstarting a bike theoretically you may get close to 2-300 rpm and lets say the bike idles at 1000-1500 so you aren't creating much power while kickstarting it. (totally guess as I have no idea what idling RPM are or the RPM's a kickstart give's you)

To ease your starting woes, theoretically you should turn off the lights when trying to start the bike. This allows more of the AC current to go into the Reg, allowing it to convert more power and send it to your CDI. I'm not completely sure but I don't think that the lights have a shutoff (mine didn't). I installed a switch inline of the lighting system on mine so I'm not trying to power these while starting mine.

I hope I was able to explain this clearly. :thumbsup: (not likely)

• Sknight

Posted May 01, 2011 - 12:33 PM

My 04 model came with a bad battery and was a total bitch to start either by kicking or with the button. The battery had enough to spin it decent but when I checked it I found that it had a bad cell and only had 10V one hour after charging.

A fresh battery and stone cold it'll fire on the third kick and hot it'll fire on the first kick even without pulling the hot start lever. Before I never got it to cold start kicking and hot was a exhausting affair.

So get a fresh battery and she how she does!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.