03 450 trans problem

3 replies to this topic
  • crcraig

Posted April 24, 2011 - 04:44 PM

last ride on 03 450 trans was hard to engage 1st or 3rd gear i split cases the forks look allright ? I:bonk: think. also checked the dogs seem to be ok any one else have this problem? or possible solution, does the same fork engage 1 & 3 and other fork for 2 & 4th thanks, Craig

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2011 - 04:52 PM

does the same fork engage 1 & 3 and other fork for 2 & 4th ?

Yes. Look at whether the rod the fork rides on is straight, and whether it moves freely in the cases without binding. Also inspect the cam groove for uneven wear, and see to it that the third gear pinion moves freely on the main shaft.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crcraig

Posted April 25, 2011 - 03:31 AM

I noticed that the small bearing on end of drive shaft is rough also the small bearing on the end of the main shaft could this cause the hard shifting? also seems like there is a tiny bit of play on the shift fork where it is attached to the rod

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2011 - 01:53 PM

I noticed that the small bearing on end of drive shaft is rough also the small bearing on the end of the main shaft could this cause the hard shifting?

It could, but it should get worse as the speed increases, and it should affect all 4 gears. Replace them in any case.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.