May come back to a thumper for woods use from a long 2 stroke hiatus.

25 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted April 26, 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hot starting is best aided by two things:

• A properly jetted carb
  • A familiarity with your bike and an understanding of what it needs when starting hot.

On the first point, the important part is the pilot circuit. A lot of people run way too big a pilot so as to be able to snap the throttle open like a goon instead of learning to roll it, or to make every trace of decel backfire go away. The pilot jet helps throttle response, but if you have a real problem with that, the pilot is not the way to fix it. Likewise, assuming your exhaust is sealed of any significant air leaks, a little decel popping sometimes is an indication that you're jetted about right at idle. Interestingly, a pilot that's just a bit lean will help prevent stalling when the throttle is closed suddenly.

On the second, you just need some time to understand when the bike is likely to respond to the hot start lever, when it will start better if the throttle is cracked open a little rather than fully closed, how to clear a flood condition, and when it will start more easily without the hot start. Seat time, understanding engines, and being observant will do that. It's rare that I can't get mine moving again after 4 kicks. The main thing is not to make it more work than it is.

+1, familiarity with the bike will help make starting much less trouble than many make it up to be. One thing I will ad is after stalling my 2008 will have a tendency to start easier in neutral versus in gear.

With mileage, I can get anywhere from 25-40 mpg depending on the terrain and the speed I'm riding at. My last race with a speed average of just under 20 mph I averaged about 30 mph, and the terrain with intermediate/hard dirt with a bit of soft dirt/sand wash.

Edited by jim513, April 26, 2011 - 08:50 PM.
typing error

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2011 - 08:21 PM

One thing I will ad is after stalling y 2008 will have a tendency to start easier in neutral versus in gear.

That's very definitely true of mine, too.

• nevada

Posted April 26, 2011 - 08:32 PM

That's very definitely true of mine, too.

it will kick over easier, and faster. even with the clutch in, you're still getting some drag from the plates.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderX

Posted April 26, 2011 - 09:00 PM

Well, I made the plunge. There's an 09 YZ450F sitting in my garage now where my KTM 250XCW used to sit.

• blueberg17

Posted April 27, 2011 - 06:28 AM

Well, I made the plunge. There's an 09 YZ450F sitting in my garage now where my KTM 250XCW used to sit.

Congrats! You will like it:thumbsup:

• shrubitup

Posted April 27, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Let us know how the transition goes. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.