Post sand dune riding clean up

14 replies to this topic
  • wgetty01

Posted April 24, 2011 - 01:56 PM

Made it to the dunes this weekend and had a blast! However i know sand is everywhere on my bike. I cleaned it as I usually do after I ride however I know there is more sand in places unknown. Where or what should I disassemble to clean specifically next to tearing the entire bike apart? I'm only going to ride there once or twice a year and this was my first go at it.

Any pointers would be much appreciated! Thanks!

• yz450fcranker

Posted April 24, 2011 - 03:03 PM

clean with high pressure dirtblaster pressure washer twice its like dirt washing just twice

• 2smokeforlife

Posted April 24, 2011 - 03:09 PM

I would not use a pressure washer. just use you regular hose. all i would do extra is take off your air box after washing your bike thoroughly and clean the inside of your air box make sure you put a rag in you carb. i would also clean my chain vary good also.

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2011 - 03:47 PM

I would not use a pressure washer.

Neither would I. PW's are an great way to ruin sealed chains, steering head bearings, etc.

• YamahaDoc

Posted April 24, 2011 - 09:53 PM

Spray down with a hose, spray with cleaner, and rinse off...

I check the air box, and take the carb off to look for evidence of sand "leakage"

That's about it. I ride with guys that almost ONLY ride in the dunes, and most of them dont even clean thier bikes after and they last forever.

My motto "don't be over cautious" :thumbsup:

Edited by YamahaDoc, April 25, 2011 - 01:45 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted April 24, 2011 - 10:09 PM

Like the others have said, give it a regular cleaning then take the airbox off and pressure wash the crap out of it. There IS sand in all those little nooks and crannies that needs to come out. Obviously clean your air filter very well also.

• thestuz

Posted April 25, 2011 - 03:23 AM

Neither would I. PW's are an great way to ruin sealed chains, steering head bearings, etc.

pressure washers are great.

just hold it back away from the chain, bearing areas and electrical connections or any area that may secomb to high pressure water. just hold the cleaner back over a foot away.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pembell

Posted April 25, 2011 - 09:23 AM

I ride only in sand. It's not the sand that gets you, it's moisture!!

I made the mistake of lubing my chain because it looked rusty when I first got the bike - big mistake - just makes a nice grinding paste when it meets sand.

I now always just rinse down with water. The only place sand will stick is in the airbox and to any other bits of the bike where oil/grease/lube is sitting (around breathers and the like). Watch out for it gathering around the axles - it can get wedged around the chain adjusters (on any greasy bits in particular), so whip your axles out occasionally and give the area around them a good cleaning.

• crf450319

Posted April 25, 2011 - 12:11 PM

pressure washers are great.

just hold it back away from the chain, bearing areas and electrical connections or any area that may secomb to high pressure water. just hold the cleaner back over a foot away.

X2, I've used pressure washers exclusively for 12 years and never had an issue. I'm mindful of not hitting the chain/linkage or any pivot points, but aside from that they're all I use. I should mention that I clean/re-grease my swingarm bearings once a year and clean/re-grease my linkage every 20 hours or run time. If you're not re-packing your bearings with grease every so often then I might be even more cautious.

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2011 - 02:02 PM

I'm mindful of not hitting the chain/linkage or any pivot points, but aside from that they're all I use.

The problem is that not everyone is as smart as you, not everyone knows the hazards, and too few realize that it's much easier to screw things up by pressure washing than it is to avoid it.

Just sayin'...

• crf450319

Posted April 25, 2011 - 05:34 PM

The problem is that not everyone is as smart as you, not everyone knows the hazards, and too few realize that it's much easier to screw things up by pressure washing than it is to avoid it.

Just sayin'...

That's what is so great about forums like this one, you can pose a question and get information resulting in an informed decision. To make a blanket statement like this "Never use a pressure washer", doesn't seem to make that much sense to me. The convenience a pressure washer offers, VS the risk(s) associated with it's use makes it an easy choice for me.

:thumbsup:

• wgetty01

Posted April 25, 2011 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the pointers. I changed the air filter between day one and day two but will go through and completely clean the air filter(s) and box. I knew pressure washers were good as long as you dont blast certain areas.

Whats the best way to thoroughly clean the chain aside from a scrub brush or is that all that is needed?

• humpness

Posted April 26, 2011 - 07:42 AM

i just got back from florence. This is new to me but I think I had some of the most fun on a dirtbike last week. I am heading over to pull maintance today after only a once over with the pressure washer saturday.

just curious where did you go at the coast? your not from Bend are you?

• yz450fcranker

Posted April 29, 2011 - 04:22 AM

pressure washers clean wheels very well swingarm, plastics and engine guards whats left is the electrical can be done with degreasers anyone who has ever had a problem washing would know pressure washers are nice to have

• thestuz

Posted April 30, 2011 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the pointers. I changed the air filter between day one and day two but will go through and completely clean the air filter(s) and box. I knew pressure washers were good as long as you dont blast certain areas.

Whats the best way to thoroughly clean the chain aside from a scrub brush or is that all that is needed?

i soak/submerge mine in a tub of old gearbox oil and leave it out in the sun to warm up. i only do this to older chains that have had the lube dried up. the oil seems to soak through past the seals and the chain becomes much easier to move around.

i know some on here will bitch that the "seals will swell" blah,blah,blah, but i think the seals hold up well to it. and as stated, i only do it once the chain starts showing signs of stiffness anyway.

let it hang up for a few hours then wipe it down with a rag and your done for another 15 rides

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.