WR450F keyed ignition

16 replies to this topic
  • wr450f_burgh

Posted April 24, 2011 - 05:23 AM

Does anyone out there have instructions/pictures on the TTR-125 keyed ignition mod for a WR450F? I just ordered one off EBay and I'm looking to mount it on my 2008. Need some ideas on where to mount or how to make a custom bracket and the appropriate wiring. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• shelbyguy

Posted April 24, 2011 - 06:10 AM

will get some pics of the one on my 426 later today.

• WR450FGreg

Posted April 24, 2011 - 01:38 PM

This might help you and others in the future:

Posted Image

Its the schematic that came in the Owners Manual with my '08 WR450F.

Greg

• wr450f_burgh

Posted April 24, 2011 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the schematic Greg. I saw that in my manual but I'd like to see some pics of what others have done. I'm not much of an electrician so "real world" pics and/or instructions would help a lot. Unfortunately when I searched for this mod most of the posts were rather old and the links to the pics led to "page cannot be found" messages.

Looking forward to your pics shelbyguy...

Thanks all for the help.

Edited by wr450f_burgh, April 24, 2011 - 04:52 PM.

• shelbyguy

Posted April 24, 2011 - 06:43 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

i just split the connection to the cdi box...
used some aluminum scrap i had laying around to make a little bracket with tab hole to mount through one of the triple tree bolts.

nothing special. just another deterrent from my buddies that always
"can i ride it". now they have to find the ignition, then figure out how to start it (kick only) needless to say it gets ridden by me only :thumbsup:

'sorry fro the crappy pics. i HAD to go for a ride today...and it was pouring touche'

• wr450f_burgh

Posted April 25, 2011 - 05:03 AM

Thanks shelbyguy. After looking around my bike for 10-15 minutes, that bolt was the only spot that I could see where I could mount the switch relatively easily. Glad to see it has already been tested :thumbsup:

Could you give me a little more insight into the split into the cdi box? Again, I'm not much of an electrician. I would like to keep the current ignition button if possible and have it only activate if the keyed ignition is "on". Not sure if this is possible. If not, then I would be fine eliminating the button.

Now, how much do you charge to make me a bracket? :thumbsup:

• shelbyguy

Posted April 25, 2011 - 06:30 AM

the bracket was easy. shouldnt take you long to find some stock at a hardware store, cut, file, and install.

as for split for cdi box.

i looked into the wire schematic for the power lead for the cdi(ignition) and spliced into it. soldered connections and covered with shrink tube.

the schematic above does not have the cdi(ignition) box..

• wr450f_burgh

Posted May 18, 2011 - 08:01 AM

Following up on this, I found a machine shop that will cut me an aluminum bracket similar to the tear drop shaped bracket in shelbyguy's pics above using a water jet (I think that is what he called it). The guy said he can cut up to 5 at a time if needed and quoted me $25 to cut just one. Not sure if it would be the same $25 to cut 5 during the same run so the price may be anywhere from $5 to $25 per bracket if I have 5 cut.

If anyone is interested in this mod and wants to purchase a bracket, let me know ASAP as I will be having them cut tomorrow (5/19/11) around noon. I'm not in it to make money, just trying to help others out, so your cost would be for the bracket plus shipping.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450FGreg

Posted May 18, 2011 - 01:12 PM

The image was deleted for some reason!!!
(Administrators: This is linked from my OWN webspace. My OWN bike related website!)

Here it is again........

Posted Image

• cherrypicker7

Posted May 18, 2011 - 02:08 PM

My switch is mounted on a tab with a bolt from one of the handlebar clamps. I simply spliced into the kill switch. This was a unit I got from SAR. There are three ways to shut the bike off, kill switch, key switch, and ignition button.

• sledhead999

Posted May 18, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Could this mod be done to replace the push button?

• wr450f_burgh

Posted May 20, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Yes, my understanding is that you swap the push-button for the keyed ignition. You just have to pull the wires out of the connector for the push button and plug in the wires from the keyed ignition into the connector. There's another mod to splice it into the kill switch too.

I'd like to wire it so both the push-button and key have to be "on" before the engine will start. Will have more information next week after I tear into it.

• spokexx

Posted May 20, 2011 - 01:51 PM

i have a BajaD kit on my 04 and got their key switch kit with it. What i didnt like about their setup was that the engine could still crank by pushing the starter button even with the key off or removed. So what i did was take apart their key switch and rotate the end so that the switch changes from a normally closed to a normally open contact with the key in the off position or removed. THEN, i cut the solid red wire in the wiring harness underneath the stock ignition button (the one with the red LED when you push it down) and ran one end of that wire into the key switch and the other end of the red wire into the other side of the key switch. I leave the stock ignition button pushed down. So basically, the key switch acts like an open or closed contact for that red wire. When the key is out or turned off, no ignition AND no cranking.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:17 AM

Spokexx, This is exactly what I just did, thanks to your post! Works exactly how I want it too. Without the key, you can't do anything to the bike. Thank you Sir!!! Maniac

• TLRam1

Posted May 21, 2011 - 12:22 PM

Following up on this, I found a machine shop that will cut me an aluminum bracket similar to the tear drop shaped bracket in shelbyguy's pics above using a water jet (I think that is what he called it). The guy said he can cut up to 5 at a time if needed and quoted me $25 to cut just one. Not sure if it would be the same $25 to cut 5 during the same run so the price may be anywhere from $5 to $25 per bracket if I have 5 cut.

If anyone is interested in this mod and wants to purchase a bracket, let me know ASAP as I will be having them cut tomorrow (5/19/11) around noon. I'm not in it to make money, just trying to help others out, so your cost would be for the bracket plus shipping.

What did you find out on the water jet cutter?

• wr450f_burgh

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:26 AM

The machine shop finally cut the bracket and I picked it up yesterday. Here is a couple shots of the bracket:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is what the stock ignition setup looks like behind the headlight and number plate:

Posted Image

Here is the TTR-125 switch I bought off of EBay with the connector removed (I used a paperclip to remove the terminals from the black connector):

Posted Image

This pic shows the differences in the connectors. The black connector is off of the TTR-125 switch and the white connector is off of the 2008 WR450F:

Posted Image

This is a test to ensure I had the connectors on their correct terminals:

Posted Image

Here is the final installation:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The wires on the TTR-125 switch were a bit long. I just wrapped them around the the two connectors and zip tied them.

With this installation, the push-button ignition is completely disconnected as the keyed ignition has replaced it. I had planned on wiring in the push-button ignition but, after thinking it through, it would just be another kill switch and I don't need two. Therefore, I think I'll just remove it and throw it in my box of extra parts. I left with push-button ignition on the bike but I think I'm going to remove it - no need to give extra parts to a thief that may have the know-how to reinstall the push-button switch.

The machine shop the cut the bracket has the "program" stored for anyone that may want one. You can PM me and I'll give you their contact info. I had two brackets cut and I'm going to keep one as a spare just in case. Cost me $20 for both which was a good deal considering the computer/shop labor that went into it. Plus, I would have spent more on the tools I would have needed to make the bracket not to mention the hours it would have taken me just to fabricate one.

This was an easy mod that will provide a bit more security on the WR. If I can do it, anyone can. Hopefully this will help a few people out in future. Thanks to all, especially shelbyguy, for your assistance.

• WH1ZZER

Posted September 03, 2012 - 11:49 AM

I know this is an old thread, but very helpful..... :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.