I just pulled the trigger on a smart suspension!

9 replies to this topic
  • spomey

Posted April 23, 2011 - 07:37 AM

I have heard quite abit about smart (all good) so I call them up to chat. Dave chatted me up in lingo that I actually understood! I wont say he talked me into it rather he explained what they did, how they did it and why in such a way that I felt very comfortable.

I nearly sent my suspension to them (they make it very affordable) but being the tinkerer that I am and I spend practically every day in my garage Its just my nature to do things myself.

I have never had a suspension set up for me, so I am way pumped up to get to work on it.

should be here sometime next week!

any tips tricks or things I should watch for? I'm sure the instructions are spot on but sometimes people have experience to share!

spomey

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 23, 2011 - 08:57 AM

I have heard quite abit about smart (all good) so I call them up to chat. Dave chatted me up in lingo that I actually understood! I wont say he talked me into it rather he explained what they did, how they did it and why in such a way that I felt very comfortable.

I nearly sent my suspension to them (they make it very affordable) but being the tinkerer that I am and I spend practically every day in my garage Its just my nature to do things myself.

I have never had a suspension set up for me, so I am way pumped up to get to work on it.

any tips tricks or things I should watch for? I'm sure the instructions are spot on but sometimes people have experience to share!

spomey

I've had dave do my suspension before. I think he's a genius with the yamaha suspension. His suspension does not bottom! Its nice.

If you are doing it yourself, then thing to remember is to keep his phone number handy so he can help you though it. You may have to buy a couple of special tools, but you'll have complete control over your suspension, which is a good thing.

• woods-rider

Posted April 23, 2011 - 04:53 PM

Did you use his special fork fluid or "regular" fluid? His fluid seems pricey to me, but it also sounds good. I am over seas right now, but my forks will be on their way to him soon. I am torn on the fluid though.

• spomey

Posted April 24, 2011 - 04:16 AM

a good high end fluid is like $30 a quart everywhere that I have seen, and the smart fluid is supposed to not wear out. I always wonder about expensive fluids. Take amsoil synthetic lube for your truck, I change the filter every 10,000 miles and sample the fluid, at 50,000 I change it (just cuz) and it checks good! so could the suspension fluid be filtered? not that I would just ramblings in my head

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 24, 2011 - 07:09 AM

Did you use his special fork fluid or "regular" fluid? His fluid seems pricey to me, but it also sounds good. I am over seas right now, but my forks will be on their way to him soon. I am torn on the fluid though.

I think to get the full benefit of his suspension, you gotta buy into his entire setup, including the fluid. If you follow his plan and use the stuff he suggests, then he can better take care of you.

I think its just an extra $30 or something like that. That's about the same cost as the yamaha suspension fluid.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted April 24, 2011 - 02:46 PM

I think it's $45 for his fluid and I thought most fork fluids were like $5 per quart. Someone please correct me if I am wrong though. My thought is that if it is that much more expensive (which really isn't that much) it would be worth it if that was the last time I would have to buy it, but I would have to spend that extra money every time I blow a seal, not to mention how long I would have to wait for him to ship me more of the fluid.

Thoughts?

• tribalbc

Posted April 25, 2011 - 07:35 AM

I think it's $45 for his fluid and I thought most fork fluids were like $5 per quart. Someone please correct me if I am wrong though. My thought is that if it is that much more expensive (which really isn't that much) it would be worth it if that was the last time I would have to buy it, but I would have to spend that extra money every time I blow a seal, not to mention how long I would have to wait for him to ship me more of the fluid.

Thoughts?

When I redid my suspension with SPI I used regular fork oil (Maxima racing) for the forks, and SPI fluid in the shock, for the very reason of cost of importing, etc.
This year when I rebuilt my shock I put in Amsoil Shock Therapy at $10 a quart. Can't notice a difference to tell you the truth. But testing is limited to 1 day at the MX track so far.....

• kawi380

Posted April 25, 2011 - 12:53 PM

I did my own about 1 year ago. Half way through the job I noticed a few parts were missing from the kit. I called up Dave and he had them on the way that day. I finished the job up a few days later. So make sure you have everything on the list before you get started. The kit is self explanatory and easy to follow as long as you have the correct tools. I had to make a few.. I also purchased the fluid for the initial rebuild and enough to do another which I will be doing here this weekend. I don't have a comparison with any other fluids as I have only used Dave's. I will most likely change the valving a little to make it little stiffer overall as I now ride a little faster. I love the stuff:thumbsup:

• cherrypicker7

Posted April 25, 2011 - 02:04 PM

spomey

I redid the forks on my WR250 this winter. If you haven't worked on cartridge or even upside down forks before this can be quite a challenge. I ordered a Race Tech Suspension Bible, available at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, after the rebuild and it would have been helpful had I had it earlier. Pulling the cartridge wasn't too bad. Got to remove it from the fork by taking off the base valve, (large hex with compression adjuster on bottom of fork) and if you didn't get his tool, you can fabricate one. I clamped the axle holder in a vice and used a chassis jack to compress the fork so cartridge didn't spin, and used an impact wrench. Removing the cap from the cartridge, requires some method of holding the spring support, ears, there is a dampner rod holder available, but you can use channel locks, but be careful. He is right about applying pressure and then all of a sudden it will release. I'm not sure I got everything seated correctly, I ended up replacing the springs front and back as well, but you certainly will notice a difference in the dampning. Good Luck.

• mongial

Posted April 25, 2011 - 06:29 PM

Pulled the trigger on mine last week....just waiting on the kit to get here!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.