Sprocket Bolts?

8 replies to this topic
  • jswr450

Posted April 22, 2011 - 07:30 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm replacing the chain and sprockets on my 2008 WR450. I am going to use stock sprockets but I priced the OEM sprocket bolts through TT's store and it's almost $50 just for the fasteners.

Can I reuse the old, stock bolts? If not is there a cheaper way to go than stock (MSR sprocket bolt kit for $10.00)?

Thanks for any help!!

Edited by jswr450, April 22, 2011 - 08:10 PM.

• Birdy426

Posted April 22, 2011 - 09:50 PM

I've always been told to not reuse the sprocket bolts. You can order a set from Rocky Mountain ATV for 9 bucks + shipping, or pick up a set at Cycle Gear for 13-15 bucks depending on what brand you want.

• wanawakeboard

Posted April 22, 2011 - 11:38 PM

I re used mine with no problems, just watch them close to make sure they dont back out on you for a while. tighten them with the proper torque and pattern...
08 wr450

• dgcars

Posted April 23, 2011 - 01:02 AM

Use them again, but check for signs of stretching.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted April 23, 2011 - 03:39 AM

You can reuse them. For added safety, I'd use some loctite on the threads though. That's how Yamaha does it, so they come off hard. I've been doing it this way for years (decades!) and I've never had any loosen if you use some thread locker. Maniac

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 23, 2011 - 05:24 AM

I reuse them. Just make sure when you tighten them that you tighten the nut while holding the bolt. If you try to tighten them using the bolt they will be undertightened because the bolt head is tapered and will bind against the sprocket hole giving an inaccurate reading. Also I use blue loctite. Never had a problem.

• jswr450

Posted April 23, 2011 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!! I think I'll reuse the stock ones and use blue loctite. Great tip about tightening the nut rather than the bolt....I hadn't really thought about it.

• SXP

Posted April 23, 2011 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!! I think I'll reuse the stock ones and use blue loctite. Great tip about tightening the nut rather than the bolt....I hadn't really thought about it.

It may help to remove the rotor so you have a straight shot at the nuts and a more accurate torque reading.

• dgcars

Posted April 23, 2011 - 11:00 PM

It may help to remove the rotor so you have a straight shot at the nuts and a more accurate torque reading.

Don't go taking those spokes out as well........:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.