i think i know why the power now doesnt work well on some wr450's

3 replies to this topic
  • yamahasocal450

Posted August 14, 2003 - 07:03 PM

with the stock wr airbox with the snorkel in or out the power now will not give noticable power gains because the opening is very small... so on the intake stroke the airbeing sucked in travels at a consistent volume being that the opening in the airbox is relatively the same size as the opening in the airboot so if a power now was to be installed with that being the situation there would be no need for it because the air flow is fairly consistent... but on modified airboxes that allow more air through the opening is much larger than the opening in the airboot causing turbulence in air or an unconsistent flow of air hence the need for the power now mod... i was just thinking it through and thought this is the only reason this would happen does it sound right ? :)

• ddialogue

Posted August 15, 2003 - 03:56 AM

I'm one of those guys that installed the PowerNow and didn't notice much of a difference (if any) in performance. However, the only mod I have done to the airbox is to remove the snorkel and cut out the hand hold in the left number plate.

I'm still not sure if I want to chop the airbox all up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted August 15, 2003 - 01:22 PM

Chop it up and open it up! The stock air flow is pathetic. Not to mention when you put the seat on it practically covers the intake opening. What was Yamaha thinking?

• yamahasocal450

Posted August 16, 2003 - 06:58 PM

they werent :D :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.