What is Dangerously Low Oil?

4 replies to this topic
  • twomancrew

Posted April 22, 2011 - 05:48 PM

Bike is ripping thru oil. Am going to order new piston and ring. Until then I want to ride but not push it to far. At what point does lack of oil start doing damage?

• Yamiryder

Posted April 22, 2011 - 05:49 PM

If you want to do the least amount of damage, i would not ride it until i fix the problem, but that's just me

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted April 22, 2011 - 05:55 PM

It's impossible to tell when it's getting to low unless you physically check the level. I agree with yamiryder and I would not ride it until you fix the problem.

While your in there, get yourself some new valve seals, really easy to replace.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2011 - 06:45 PM

To give you a more exact answer, your bike has a dry sump lube system, and will deliver oil reliably as long as there is a continuous supply of oil to draw from the feed reservoir in front of the engine. That depends on oil being returned reliably, and it's my estimation that the system should be fairly dependable down to the point that there is roughly 350cc remaining. Below that, disruptions in the return oil flow because of the bike bouncing around could lead to feed disruptions.

You also need to consider the fact that the less oil that there is, the more each ounce takes a beating, and that the oil will run hotter sooner.

So, there is some wisdom in the advice to let it sit until fixed, but if you decide to ignore that, add oil often. Try to figure out your hourly use rate, and add the missing oil back every hour, or even less.

• twomancrew

Posted April 23, 2011 - 05:46 AM

Thanks Gray. :thumbsup: I go thru about 140ml per 1.8 gallon ride. I am ordering new piston and rings today. Will get valve seals & timing chain while I'm at it. This will be the first time I'v pulled this particular bike apart. Athena big bore 478. Big bore was put in originally due to timing chain skip that caused valve piston damage. So newer valves should be ok & newer cylinder walls should be ok? It is snowing this weekend so it looks like no riding anyway.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.