Shock Collar

4 replies to this topic
  • Danger16

Posted April 22, 2011 - 10:26 AM

Sorry if this is obvious and I'm using a poor search technique, but I'm trying to find out the best way to gain access to the shock collar to adjust the preload and set the sag on a 2009 YZ 450. It is not easy to get to the shock collar. I'm also interested in what to use to move the ring, I'm assuming a long screw driver / punch and a hammer?

I traded my 2008 KTM 250 SX for this bike and am going through the whole bike to get it set-up for hare scrambles.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2011 - 11:11 AM

It's a pain in the butt. But DON'T use a screwdriver. You'll cut the lock ring. Find a piece of brass or aluminum rod or 1/4x1 scrap and use that. Once you have the lock ring loosened, you can reach under the air box and turn the adjuster by turning the bottom of the spring (if the bike is up on a stand).

Or, you could go this way:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=881489

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted April 22, 2011 - 11:54 AM

I set my shock up initially for my weight after I installed a 5.9 DSP spring in it, and have had the shock apart a total of 5 times. I've used a screwdriver every time and haven't cut my lock ring.

April 30/10 Fork oil (both chambers) and shock fluid replaced @ 10.2 hrs

June 18/10 New fork & shock springs, replaced outer chamber oil in forks @ 20.3 hrs

July 21/10 Fork oil (both chambers) and shock fluid replaced @ 30.8hrs

Sept 30/10 Fork oil (both chambers) and shock fluid replaced @ 50.5 hrs

April 21/11 Fork oil (both chambers) and shock fluid replaced @ 70.3 hrs

Tightening up the spring I do by hand, when the shock is on my work bench. I'd think it might be a little tricky if it was in the bike but worth a try ? I used the hammer & screwdriver method when the shock was in the bike.

• SAthump

Posted April 22, 2011 - 05:51 PM

I have a 1/4 steel rod I put a small joggle in, fits nicely between airbox and reservoir, and from the front by the carb.

• curtis515s

Posted April 23, 2011 - 11:21 PM

Motion Pro just came out with a shock spanner punch. It has a brass tip and it works great.

http://www.motionpro.../partno/08-0483

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.